Act 7 - No Shortage of Peril

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:54 pm

I'm ready to move along.
"But Elohim is an unusual language--the minute details are important in communicating meaning!" Dreams protests. "If you don't get them right, 'Hello, father' can sound like, 'I want to eat your liver.' Which would be an unfortunate way to start things."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:58 pm

But at least Elohim's rules make sense and are consistent," Celevan observes. "Unlike Icatian. I still have trouble with all the special cases in Icatian that you just have to remember to speak properly. In Elohim, once you know the rule it applies everywhere."
Also ready to move along.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

To Ford or Not to Ford

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:08 pm

The conversation of language soon drives Kimi to something else for now as Torias, Dreams, Celevan and Drak get into it.

Eventually the evening meal and fire becomes the nighttime fire, and people are off to sleep.

Morning arrives and the caravan of sleds is packed up and ready to move on. The debate this morning isn't language or linguists, its crossing the river. Milon suggests you cross sooner than later, "If its frozen over we could cross now, without troubles. South from here we might have a thaw." Most folks seem to agree about that, but a few don't seem to agree, including Tessa and one of the dog sledders.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

To Ford or Not to Ford

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:14 pm

"Typical wisdom is to cross a river when you can, since it's not guaranteed in the future," Celevan observes. "Why do you want to delay our crossing?" he asks Tessa and the dogsledder who agrees with her on the matter. "Do you have some information the rest of us don't?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

To Ford or Not to Ford

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Tessa considers, "Well there is a known ford much closer to Olfden which I have crossed before at with my wagons."

The dog sledder nods, "Same here."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Grimbold
Title: Professor

To Ford or Not to Ford

Post by Grimbold » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:36 pm

Torias tries to remember anything he knows about this place.
Knowledge geography+5 (is there a ford further down? What side is it better to travel on?

nature+5, engineering+5 Will the ice hold?

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

To Ford or Not to Ford

Post by Trogdor » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:08 pm

"If the river is solidly frozen over here," Celevan asks, "won't going over the river be better than wading through freezing cold water?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

To Ford or Not to Ford

Post by Vardaen » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:22 pm

Torias knows there is a ford to the south, but that ford is one you might use with wagons or horses, not really sleds. The ice here could hold.

Celevan's argument is echoes by Stormy and Milon. Stormy Pearl, the new lumber boss's voice is high and loud. "Blue Eyes here is right, and I'm taking my sled over the river here. Our resident do-gooder elf offered to scout it with her magical boots, and I say let her."

Tessa concedes, "Alright, do what you think is right."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

To Ford or Not to Ford

Post by Muskrat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:55 pm

"Yes," says Dreams, "let me scout it. If the ice is solid here, better to cross where we know it's solid than chancing it somewhere else."

She sets off across the ice cautiously, stopping to test the strength of the ice every so often by stamping on and striking it with her sword until she has reached the other side.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

To Ford or Not to Ford

Post by Eilandor » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:24 pm

Braedon stands off to the side with Aela sitting next to him. The discussion as to whether to cross here or elsewhere reminds him of the linguistics conversation the night prior. Looking at Aela, "It's times like these I miss being out alone when I only had myself to argue with." Aela whines, "Oh, yes and well you too."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"