Act 8 - A Touch of the Green

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Morbion's Chamber: Return to the Slime Pool

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:13 am

"Fire sounds like a fine idea to me." He digs around in his pack. "Right, there's also some sort of ... corruption that goes on around here? We've got some Cindershards that seems to protect a bit against the worst, especially that golem. Here's one."
I hand over one of the Cindershards to the new guy.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:20 am

Lineos grabs the cindershard and gives a thankful bow.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:19 am

"Ok, so let's move the objects and the body down to the entrance and make a bit of fire. Maybe we can use some of the items." Torias says. He works together with the others to unceremoniously drop the body down the shaft and climb after it.
I think we explored everything up here, right?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Cavern of the Ooze Lord - Purged by Fire

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:29 pm

Its time to clean things up, so the bodies, and ritual items are dragged to the shaft down. Then dropped. Its a mess when Morbion's corpse, mostly made of ooze and rot, lands some 70 feet below. Its not a fun clean up and you regret this whole thing already. You realize there is one passage you didn't explore yet up on this level, so just to be safe you head down that way. Four pools of bubbling deep-green ooze mar the slippery stone floor of the cavern. A number of buckets containing chunks of rotting meat and plant matter sit around the edge of these pools, while a large stack of empty buckets lies next to the room's entrance.

A slime creature jiggles in the corner of the chamber, holding a few buckets, it seems to be slowly decaying since you defeated Mobrion. It was once large, troll sized, but now its melting away little by little. The chamber can not be left alone, so you torch it with what flame powers you have to purge it.

Then you head down the rope to the first level. You seek out Drak who is holding down the fort at the mouth of the cave, and the Malakim Fire Sorcerer, ready to burn, is eager to rejoin you. He goes about using his powers to torch each and every chamber in the cavern -- save the one with the sickstone elemental, that one you all avoid.

It takes hours to purge the slime and ooze, the corpses, and the ritual tools using your various divine abilities and flame spells. It is dark outside by the time you finish, you are feeling gross, from the slime the fire and smoke and sweat and blood from a long days work of slaying. Torias will have to wait until tomorrow to use his Stone Shape spells to seal the cavern mouth closed but once dawn arrives and he can use that prayer once more the entire place will be sealed away.

So you set up a small camp at the far end of the clearing. You are hungry and tired, and have a new companion to speak to. Lineos is some sort of tengu or kenku or bird man, Drake, the Malakim Sorcerer has been looking at him for a long while. "You are from the far east of Malakim aren't you? I heard of birdmen who live in the mountains there, small clutches of them that survived the Devestation. Noble warriors, few, but strong. I am Drak Khent, Disciple of Brass Dragons, I too left those lands and came west seeking a better life. I could find no better companions than Torias Runefist and Allareia-Nosaki-na'Tirris Arrasul-Elassyrin-el'Tirion, he then looks at Nate and adds, "And Nathan Strongstride too," with a wink.
FYI - Drak was a former player who went inactive, and was left to guard the cave mouth. I'll play him a bit until he rejoins the other PC -> NPCs who are back in town.

Image Image
Image Image
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Dreams says, "I do not know about you all, but I am looking forward to a bath when we return to town. We'll get the dust of the road on us again, when we set out, but all this ash and slime is quite another thing."

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:59 pm

Lineos gives an earnest look at Drak, his plight resonating deeply within him, "honor to meet you Drak Khent, indeed as you mentioned my people migrated to the mountains at the time of the devastation, sadly our struggles have only increased since then." Lineos nods his agreement to Dreams, "it has been a very long while, I could use some hot water and soap."

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:50 pm

WIth divine aid, Torias tries to relieve some of the effects of the poison. Then he also uses his stone shaping ability to close the entrance for good.
"I agree, some soap and a nice bath would be perfect here." He is now ready to go to town.
Memorize some restore stats spells (as many as possible) and cast them on all the poisoned guys, including himself.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:07 pm

"So the introductions were a bit hasty there, Lincos. So you had said you and your people were coming west, trying to find a new home? Sorry to say, but here likely isn't in very good shape." He digs into the extra-dimensional spaces in his bandolier and brings out his broken musket, the one that exploded before they even got inside the cave. He takes out a specialized tool set and begins disassembling it, to get a better idea of the damage.

"Is it the same out east as it is here? Nations are pretty much crumbling, or at least withdrawing to their strongholds, leaving hinterlands like this on their own. Scavengers and madness move in, and we've just seen how well that goes for the people."
Hopefully that Sickstone Elemental surviving doesn't come back and kick us in the butt someday. ;)
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:44 pm

Between the rest, and Torias Restoration spells, and some more upcoming rest, you can reset your stats from the poison. I'll edit the sheets
Drak nods to Nate, "Its hard all over right now. Some places are hit worse than others. The rich get richer, the poor get dead. That's been my experience, yet this group here, doing a good job of helping the less fortunate. Falcon's Hollow would have imploded by now if not for this group and their friends (who are back in town). In the morning we'll had back to Springwell and meet up with them." He seems uncertain for a moment, "We'll have to plan our next move."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Dreams says, "I think we have to keep moving south. We don't know exactly what it is, but we know something evil is afoot at Chimera Cove--we need to investigate and stop it." To Lineos, she says, "You are welcome to join us on that quest. When we are done, we will return north to our home in Falcon's Hollow--you are welcome to come with us there as well. Unfortunately, I can't promise a warm welcome for you there--Creed, the lumber baron who runs the town, dislikes us because he sees as a threat to his power. And the people there, while not bad folk, are struggling to get by and not necessarily welcoming of outsiders. On the other hand, we were outsiders once and, now that we've shown we're willing to help them, they generally accept us. And if you are looking for a place for your people to resettle--well, I wouldn't recommend it. Creed would try to stop you and the winters there grow ever longer and harsher as the Winter God extends his grip."