Act 9 - Chimera Cove

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Into the Lion's Den

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 pm

Torias' use of the cloak was well timed, now however he struggles to get into the boat, tree's don't Bend well or have much in the way of moving feet. So if the dwarf priest has any hopes to climb back in he's forced to return to his normal armored form.

Lineos is back in the boat and shakes, puffing out all his feathers, like a bird does, and dries himself off mostly and quickly. Dreams turns to sailing and rowing. The sails in the catboat are damaged from the attack, so you are forced to row now. You can see a few figures on the docks near town, Targas waving and shouting, but its hard to hear him. You get the feeling he's hoping you are alright, so you shout back hoping he can tell you are.

The bay has drained now, out as much as it will, lowering a good 30 feet below where it started. You see a large cave entrance set inside one of the chain of islands, you row right into it.
THe black is the cave mouth revealed with the lower water level, and those are the names of the Islands.
Map-ChimeraCove2.jpg
Map-ChimeraCove2.jpg (149.37 KiB) Viewed 652 times
This huge stone cavern reaches over one hundred and fifty feet back into the heart of the rocky island. The murky waters of the cove cover the cavern’s floor to a depth of at least fifteen feet. The space is alive with the sounds of dripping water, and the walls glisten where just a short time ago they were submerged. Barnacle colonies dot the walls, and seaweed hangs limply elsewhere. While the arch of the cave mouth stands thirty feet above the water, the roof of the cavern rises as it runs into the island, reaching a height of at least seventy feet at its far end. Likewise, while the cave mouth is only thirty feet wide, the cavern expands to several times that as one enters. To either side of the cave mouth, stone ramps five feet wide rise out of the water and cling to the cavern walls, gradually rising upward to end at a height of thirty five feet at the far wall. At that wall the west ramp opens into another chamber from which faint light emanates. Thick ropes hang into the water here and there, some anchored to rusting cleats set into the walls, others lying in loose coils.

Dominating the far wall are gigantic wooden double doors, twenty-five feet in height and forty feet in width, composed of planks which could be ships’ timbers and are heavily reinforced with rusting steel. The top of the doors are flush with the top of the wall, while the bottom is ten feet above water level. The many barnacles indicate the door is typically submerged to a depth of twenty feet. No hinges are visible, making it appear the doors open inward.

Standing atop the far wall to either side of the giant doors is a pair of wooden and steel contraptions which resemble small siege engines. A stout wooden base supports a pivoting mechanism enclosing an open chute ten feet long and one foot in width, with attached gears used to adjust the angle of the chute.
Your little boat is at the X
Map-TheLion1.jpg
Map-TheLion1.jpg (234.33 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Standing on either side of the doors are six (3 per side) Thrulls. The creatures are standing, watching as you row the boat into the hidden port....
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Hand of the Deep: Round 2-3

Post by Grimbold » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:56 pm

Torias just floats there and needs his companions to pull him close to the boat. There he transforms back into his normal shape. "Uh, I'd never have thought this would be useful, but it seems it was worth taking along." He indicates his cloak. "But now I am just happy to have escaped the monster."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

Post by Muskrat » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:55 pm

"Well," says Dreams, "I guess there was no way we would have surprise on our side, with the dramatic lowering of the water. I don't see much chance but to dock at one of the ramps and march on in in plain sight, though if anyone has a better plan, I'll gladly listen to it. But I don't think we'll have much time before we're attacked." She begins rowing to the nearest of the two ramps, hoping the thrulls are too dim-witted to use ranged weapons.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:52 pm

Nate takes the time to clear out the obstructed mechanism of his firearm, using a tool that looks like a mini chimney sweeper to get everything out of there. "If we want to go straight hostile, I could just shoot them all down before we even reach land. I'm not saying none of them could possibly parlay, but they certainly seemed mindless and corrupted back in town."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:37 pm

Dreams says, "It might be safer to have solid ground under us first, in case they have a long distance attack, but I can support you with my bow."
V, what ranges are we talking here?

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:27 pm

"Trying to pick them off from range might be our safest option, trying to storm the ramps could leave us on a vulnerable position, and trying to parlay with them doesn't seem like it would work. Says Lineos as he sheathes his weapon and looks for his armor.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:17 pm

Dreams says, "There's quite a distance between them and the ramps--I think we should be able to land safely."
That is, if I'm understanding V's description correctly.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:43 pm

You boat rows into the open area, and the Thrulls begin to mill about near the strange contraptions. One of them hisses, "Who you!?" The voice echoes through the cave even as you get closer to the ramp to dock, but you are still in dangerous waters.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:44 pm

As she rows, Dreams whispers to the others, "How about this for a plan? The rest of you start with ranged attacks now, while I row us to the ramp ... It's not like we need to land to use a weapon or cast a spell."
I'm assuming that when we get to shore, we can climb out of the boat as a Move Action.

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:18 pm

"Row closer, I have an idea." Torias whispers to the others.

"We come from the baron!" he calls out, happy that Kilmorph's rules do not prohibit lying.