Act 9 - Chimera Cove

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Act 9 - Chimera Cove

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 pm

Targas almost spits out his drink, "I think Dreams is wise. If Poltur is given too much time just imagine what he could do. The youngest of the group looks around at the elders. They seem to agree that you should not delay if you do not need too."

Targas adds, "One of the catboats from the boathouse looked to be in good enough shape to take. I can go and make it ready for you if you plant to leave soon."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:35 pm

Dreams looks at the others, "Shall we be on our way then?"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:30 am

Nate yawns, and stretches his arms. He works through some intricate wrists exercises, then rapidly works the fingers to restore circulation. "Yeah, I'm ready when you are."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:49 pm

There will be no more delay, you can't risk Poltur from finishing his evil scheme before you can stop him. The thought of having to deal with a giant dragon turtle on your own is not something anyone wants. Your allies make ready, they will meet you at the boat house.

So you make ready and head there. You find a few locals cleaning up the mess of the bodies and Targas sets to getting the one working catboat ready. Once its in the water the elders arrive with the length of silver cord. Targas points out into the cove, "The three closely spaced rocky islands are linked to the shore and each other by jagged reefs lying at most 10 feet below the low tide mark, making navigation into and out of the cove exceedingly dangerous, and even travel within the cove has its perils. Not to mention the waters of the cove are genuinely dangerous, being choppy and subject to strong and variable winds. Its not going to be easy to get from here to there."

Handing over the length of silver cord Erthic says, "You must lower the holy symbol on the 5 fathoms of silver line in the center of the cove."
No one has Profession Sailor (but 2 of you have Profession Scribe!) so this should be fun!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:06 pm

Before setting off Lineos sheds his armor and stows it away in a dry place in the belly of the ship, he returns to the deck and says, "How can i help? I've never sailed before, but point me to a task and considered it done."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Dreams turns to Targas, "I don't know if any of us have set foot on a boat at sea before. Could you give us some basic pointers on how to sail this boat, so we can get over there safely?"
It sounds like Targas isn't coming with us. Can he at least make an Aid Another roll we can make use of when we sail across?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:28 pm

Targas offers to help, and so do several other villagers. They refuse to get in the boat to assist you out on the cove however. The stories and tales are just too much for them, and they won't be sailing to the isle.
Sure, +2 from the villagers telling you how to do stuff

This is a catboat fyi

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:54 am

"... would have preferred a rowboat, personally. Might be stupid as I would exhaust myself, but at least I'd know I was the cause of my own misery." He looks with annoyance at the wind-powered conveyance, knowing he's going to screw up something in how it's supposed to be operated. "Alright, I'm a pretty good fake engineer. Explain what you can, and we'll see how well we manage to copy it."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:29 am

"I might be able to guide you just a little bit." Torias says. "It will have to be enough."
Cast guidance all the time on as many people as he can. +1 on next roll. If all goes down, I can summon an aquatic creature to pull us out.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:35 pm

It takes about an hour for you to get your lesson on the cat boat, you think you understand it, well enough. The waters in the cove are dangerous, but its not the open sea, and you have some confidence you can at least make it back to shore if you capsize.

So you load in, some of you are smart and take off your 30 pounds of metal armor, also known as an anchor! You pause, Torias speaks a prayer over each of you, and then you are off into the chop. You are not sailors, not at all. Lineos is a "bird man" from the desert, Torias is from the mountains and tunnels of the dwarfholds, Dreams hardly ever left a library growing up and Nate, well Nate has some understanding of machines, but only the kinds that go boom.

So as you are floundering about the wind grabs your sail, swings the boom around and smacks Torias on the head knocking the dwarf overboard! He almost sinks instantly, like a large dwarven sinker on the end of a fisherman's line. He manages, by some miracle, to surface a moment later as he flounders about reaching for help!
Pro (Sailor) +2 AA, +1 Guidance, +2 Base (unskilled) = +5 Rolled 2 = 7 Fail!

Acrobatics: Lineo 11 Success
Nate: 30 Success
Dreams: 15 Success
Torias: 3 Fail - Dwarf Overboard

Swim: Torias 17 Success