Comments, Compliments, and Complaints

This is the OOC forum for the Fallen Empires game in the Age of Ice realm.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Comments, Compliments, and Complaints

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:21 am

So with the end of the Preludes, I wanted to get some input from you all on how you are enjoying things so far. I know we haven't done much, and alot of it was getting to know the characters and was perhaps a bit forced in places, but I still want to know what you think?

What did you like, so I can keep doing that.

What didn't you like, so I don't do that again.

What would you like, so I can add good stuff.

Please feel free to say anything here.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Comments, Compliments, and Complaints

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:46 am

I've enjoyed the prelude a lot. I think this is a great setting. And I think we have some great characters.

The most important request I have is more to the other players than to you.

We've got three groups of the three races: men, elves, and dwarves. It can be all too easy for us to stay factionalized as we roleplay this out. We might all be playing our characters exactly as we envisioned them, doing a masterful job individually. But I urge people to consider the game as a whole.

I've found through long experience (some good, some bad) that the initial runs of a game are easily the most important to group cohesion. And trouble in the early runs can sometimes drag down what would be an otherwise good game.

So yes, by all means let the Elohim be a bit high and mighty. and the dwarves a bit rough and insular, and the men a bit resentful of the elves and dwarves who were too aloof. But let's remember that at the end of the day we're trying to forge a team that works together.

Let's treat these roleplaying hooks like spices in the game. In small doses, they can transform the flavor of the game,making it far better. But too much of it can overwhelm the game, drowning out the intended flavor.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 am

I second everything Trogdor has said about playing within your species. I expect it to enchance the flavor of the over all group, not to create clicks within the game. The dwarves are bound to be tighter since they are twins, and all, but that doesn't mean they can't be best friends with the elves or human counter parts.

I look forward to seeing this progress. Act 1 has begun!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:51 am

Hopefully Var does a good job giving us some common bond. This will vastly improve our ability to play the hooks for flavor.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:56 am

Even though I am secretly a LE duergar half-fiend imbued with psionics and Torias is demonically possessed half-brother draconic illithid, I shall do my best to get along with everyone! ;-)

Seriously though, I merely plan on being quiet a bunch with Torrak, adding my own personal comments and what not as I get to know each of you as politely as a dwarf can. After all...Torrak has an atypical LG (not Awful Good btw) mindset of minding his P's & Q's and generally being good-willed to man, dwarf, elf, gnome, and even hobbits alike! Be prepared for some gruff optimism at first, especially amongst the elves, but overall a vast friend should you try to befriend him. Just don't mess with his brother! ;-)
Last edited by Eanwulf on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:44 pm

I enjoyed the preludes a lot. Thanks to Vardaen for GMing, and thanks to MV for nice roleplaying.

What I especially liked was getting a feeling for the setting, and my character's background. It's good to have a sense of where a character is coming from, instead of just having her poofing into existence.

There was nothing I strongly disliked. Sure, there could have been more getting-to-know-each-other talk, but the preludes weren't supposed to take forever, and we have to do more of that talk with the whole group, so pushing things forward from time to time was okay.
I didn't mind the initial conflict between Ellsbeth and Vren, even if I was a bit panicked at first that it might lead to ooc problems, like PvP situations often do. But everything seems to have turned out fine after the rocky start.

As for Trogdor's caveat, well, I agree. The factionalizing is kind of given at the moment, because obviously the characters only know the guys/gals from their own race until now. But as Chapter 1 proceeds, we should be able to form a group, with some good will and GM-induced team-building activity ;)

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:38 pm

Loved it. Go on it is great.

I think if Torias as a scholar, then a dwarf and then a priest. He will certainly bond with the elf paladin, as she is also a kind of scholar, happy to be able to discuss deep things.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:13 pm

I'm glad to hear these reactions. I know the preludes were a bit hurried in points paradoxa, but like you said it was just to get your feet wet and move on to getting to know the group as a whole.

Also note Eanwulf, there are Gnomes or Halflings in this world, of if Torrak likes them alot, the rest of the gourp might think you are looney! ;)

Torias and Dreams should enjoy one another both being scholars forced into roles as warriors.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:18 pm

I am thoroughly enjoying myself. You've got an intriguing world here, Verdaen, and I've enjoyed role-playing with the others. The prelude didn't really feel rushed to me--I felt like I got to know Trogdor and Wayloss's characters fairly well and we got in a little combat as well.

I do have one small complaint, about expecting us to remember what happens at the beginning of combat when playing it stretches out over a number of days or so. I'm thinking of forgetting you couldn't run in mud--I remembered the half-movement part, but not the no running part. If you could be a little flexible around that sort of thing, that would be cool. If that's not you're style of play, however, I'll just start taking notes. And, of course, if we do something really stupid, you should feel free to nail us.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 pm

Glad you are liking it Muskrat.

As far as time goes, the one down fall of PbP is the length of time things take, so forgetting things like the mud, during a long combat, or other things is bound to creep up. I'm generally pretty forgiving on things, espcially if I forget to post things about it.

I try and post every few initiatives the buffs that are active, and I can make sure to include setting modifiers to help. Since you are pretty new here, I am more apt to cut you some slack as well. Folks like Trogdor, Eanwulf, Brennor or TetNak I'm not as forgiving on as they have been around along time and should know better :) Like forgetting to Cast on the Defensive, or forgetting if an enemy gets an Attack of Opportunity or not, those sort of things.

The time issue can really get to be a big deal when this game has been running for years. Take my Mahasapra game, its been going 5+ years now, you think anyone remembers the name of the Gate Guard from the Southern Gate any more? Probably not, but notes help here a tone (for the DM espcially). But the joy of PbP is you can just scroll back a few posts, double check what happened or what that thing on the map is if you forget. It has Notes built in! Wooot :)

Sometimes its also hard in combat ot determine if you just forgot something like the enemy still has an AoO left to smite you with, or if you intentionall are charging it so that it AoO you and not the next person moving around it, etc. So I try my best to guess, but the more OOC chatter you include the better, OR the more Ic flavor/intention the better too. I tend to cut slack to those with better posting habbits as well, so post often and good, and I'll certainly give you more of a break than someone who is always getting 3 Day ruled and then only posts 1 or 2 lines. I don't think that will be much of an issue in this game, but you never know.