New classes posting rules

A forum to discuss new classes in ITEOTR(AWKI).
ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

New classes posting rules

Post by ardh05 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:06 am

First off, I will be the one who determines whether or not a new class gets put into my campaign, so this forum is primarily for feedback on the balancing of the new classes I'm introducing. If, after reading something in my workshop that brings up an idea for a class, please send me your idea in a PM, don't worry, you will get full credit.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: New classes posting rules

Post by Trogdor » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:52 pm

You'd asked for some comments and I'll at least provide some general thoughts and observations.

Mostly, I'll note that adding in new classes is something fraught with peril. It's hard enough to balance the original base classes as it is. And even with extensive play testing it can be hard to do so with them, much less new classes.

That having been said, 3.5 has already rung that bell by adding more classes (base and prestige) than you can swing a cat at. I din't suppose one more would hurt.

I'm pleased to see that with the elementalist that you've posted, you've avoided at least one of the traps I've seen new class designers fall prey to. You've kept the HP/BAB/Saves/Skills at a reasonable level. Far too often in new classes these base stats are just plain better than for the standard classes. You've kept the wizard/sorcerer/psion stats, which is promising.

As for the rest, I think it will come down to a comparison of how the orb abilities match up to a wizard's spell list or a psion's power list. And right now we don't have enough info for that.

One thing I can say is that if summoning the orbs is the basic action (like spellcasting), and it takes a full action, then that is a huge disadvantage in combat. If that's something the elementalist has to do every round, it's going to get very old, very fast.

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Re: New classes posting rules

Post by ardh05 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Actually, the summoning of the orbs, while it is a full round action to do, the orbs stick around for 1 minute/level and the elementalist can summon up to 1/2 of his maximum amount in one summoning... I'm working on a semi-table for the orb combinations right now... The idea behind the elementalist is not so much a replacement for any of the primary classes, but instead complement a balanced party...