Part One: Port Wander

In Rogue Trader, you can explore the universe of Warhammer 40,000 like never before. Vast fortunes await on the edges of the galaxy, if you and your fellow Explorers can muster the courage to find and claim them. Renown and riches reward the bold, but the unwary find only anonymous deaths. A Rogue Trader who can wrest profits from a dangerous universe through luck, cunning, or sheer force of will enjoys something few humans in the 41st Millennium even know '€" a life of adventure and true freedom.Run by the Rogue Trader Grimbold
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Pilgrim's Progress

Post by TetNak » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:52 pm

Sleep is not something the Lord-Captain often enjoys. As he spots Alexander, Trask nods, "Set the alerts, enter the Warp when the ship is ready." He takes a deep breath, waiting for the Navigator to send the ship into the dangers of beyond.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Warp speed

Post by Grimbold » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Aleksander takes his place and does some calculations. He looks concentrated and everyone knows it is unwise to disturb him in his work.
Then he seems satisfied and nods to the tech-priests who start the Warp engine and the Sabre enters the Warp with the familiar queasy feeling for everyone on board.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: Warp speed

Post by jigglypuff69 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:08 pm

When he is sure that everything is going well, Ardus will ask his leave. "Lord-Captain, if I may, I will go and check on the pilgrims. They will need some words of encouragement and I would like to see that they are as comfortable as possible. Also, it will give me a chance to make sure they are who they say they are..."
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:17 pm

Lorayne joins Ardus with his task, "The guardsmen will need encouragment in their searches for contraband." The woman joins Ardus on his trip to the pilgrims, but has a much differ goal in mind once she reaches them. As long as The Saber is in the warp she has nothing much to fear from outside attacks -- so long as the void shields hold.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:04 pm

"Do not harass them, Lorayne," the Captain says. "They are guests, not prisoners." He shrugs, "But, of course, stay vigilant."

This is a time when the Captain can actually sleep. He always takes advantage of the Warp. "I am going to my quarters," he tells the bridge, "Keep me informed of anything important." He stands up and walks off the bridge to his room where he will sleep while they are at Warp.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:23 pm

After proper warnings sent around the ship, Aleksander engages the Warp engine and brings the ship into the narrow path through the maelstrom called the Koronus Passage. The transit is clean. And aside from the normal queasiness and uneasy feelings, nothing more dramatic occurs.

Days pass in surprising normalcy, especially for a passage through the Maw. There are the standard oddities than any Warp passage involves - the odd apparition, waves of nausea occasionally passing through the ship, inexplicable sounds coming and going. But they're thankfully few and minor. Throughout this time, no one has any contact with the Navigator save his blind steward and the Captain who receives a brief status report over the vox every watch, Warp permitting.

A week goes by, and soon the promised eighth day arrives. Everyone knows that a Navigator's estimate of time is just that, and can be off by hours, days or even weeks. But seven days, twenty-one hours, twelve minutes, and forty-six seconds after you entered the Warp, your insides let you know that you've once more returned to normal space, safe once again, though now in the vicinity of Footfall.

Well, not entirely safe. Though space is vast, chance often plays merry hell with those that travel it. Immediately upon exiting the Warp, the auspex monitors come online, and a split second later proximity alarms go off. The reason is imminently clear - you've arrived in roughly the same space as a Cruiser that's coming directly in your direction.
For those interested in the nuts and bolts of Warp travel, here are his rolls:

Stage one: Duration of Passage: 8 days.

Stage two: Astronomican
Awareness+10 test: r46 vs 59, 1 DOS. +10 on other rolls during the voyage.

Stage three: charting
+10 Navigation roll: r26 vs 69, 4DOS. You are well aware of the dangers that lie ahead.

Stage four: steering
Navigation roll: r58 vs 59. Success. You arrive in 8 days.

Encounters: roll with +20 for good charting.
r70+20=90, all's well.

Stage five: leaving the warp
-20 navigation warp test: r54 vs 49. Slight error in arriving. You arrive a bit closer to Footfall than intended and need to dodge a Cruiser coming right your way.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:00 am

Lord-Captain Trask is always at the helm as the Sabre comes out of the Warp. This time is always a time of relief, as well as trepidation, the Warp is so unpredictable.

"Gaaaah!" the Lord-Captain yells, switching the controls to bank hard away from the Cruiser's trajectory. "EVASIVE MANEUVERS! HARD STARBOARD! PREPARE FOR IMPACT!"

The Sabre begins to bank starboard as hard as it can in an attempt to evade the ship.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Unyielding

Post by Grimbold » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:23 pm

The com opens. "What in the Emperor's name are you doing here? Get out of the way or we shall shoot you out of the void. This is Navy Cruiser Unyielding Power of the God-Emperor and I repeat: Get out of the way!"

The Cruiser has a mass many times the Sabre and features a giant statue of the Emperor at its prow!

Trask is at the helm turning it wildly all the while watching the dials and controls of the ship. The Sabre groans and creaks at this sudden manouvre but indeed, the God Emperor is with him and the Sabre just manages to dodge the massive Cruiser and no damage is done!
+10 Piloting: r40 vs 48, success.
You have safely arrived at Footfall.
Image and background on Footfall will follow soon.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: Unyielding

Post by jigglypuff69 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:23 pm

After everything has calmed down from the near miss, Aurdus speaks with Trask. "Lord-Captain, may I have a moment before we dock? The pilgrims have sent a delagation of their Elders and wish to have audience with you. Is this something that would be acceptable to you prior to the final docking prcedures?"
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Unyielding

Post by TetNak » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Trask responds to the cruiser after they are safe. "May the God Emperor bless you. Many pardons." He grunts, stands up, and when he sees him next, give the Navigator a slightly less than pleased look.

"Fine, fine," he says to Ardus, "Make the arrangements."