Part Two: The Righteous Path

In Rogue Trader, you can explore the universe of Warhammer 40,000 like never before. Vast fortunes await on the edges of the galaxy, if you and your fellow Explorers can muster the courage to find and claim them. Renown and riches reward the bold, but the unwary find only anonymous deaths. A Rogue Trader who can wrest profits from a dangerous universe through luck, cunning, or sheer force of will enjoys something few humans in the 41st Millennium even know '€" a life of adventure and true freedom.Run by the Rogue Trader Grimbold
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Part Two: The Righteous Path

Post by Grimbold » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:50 pm

Footfall

The light of Furibundus marks the far side of the Great Warp Storms and the beginning of the Koronus Expanse. It is a huge and primal stellar mass, far brighter and more energetic than any star should be. Its fires rage so fiercely that the cataclysmic energies unleashed within cause vast bulges of burning plasma to distend Furibundus's form, writhing as though immense beasts fight within. The outer envelope constantly tears and ripples, throwing off huge flaming masses into the near voids. Furibundus is surrounded by shells of remnant gas expanding outward, each a remnant of the star's outermost layers.

The settlement that was once Dewain's Footfall, and now simply Footfall, is a tethered network of hundreds of stone structures floating in Furibundus's voids. It is a mass of buttressed temples and plasma-pitted fanes whose towers jut out at all angles into the void. Most are linked by enclosed stonework tunnels and arch-bridges, in addition to huge steel chains. At the very centre is tethered a huge macro-statue of the God-Emperor, larger than many warships.

Many of Footfall's buildings would not look out of place upon a planetary surface, while other spiral mazes and winding tunnels of unsupported stone would fall apart under the tug of gravity. Sections of Footfall have no gravity, and many have fluctuating levels of generated gravity. The few structures that have their own stable grav generators are highly desired prizes and are fought over by the most powerful factions, changing hands over the corpses and regrets of their prior occupants with alarming regularity.

Over the centuries since its establishment, Footfall has become a lair of villainy and intrigue, the descendants of its original population of stoneworkers and Rogue Trader vassals now far outnumbered by less-reputable newcomers. Here, religious fanatics rub shoulders with assassins, spies, fugitives from Imperial justice, narco-tribesmen, rowdy crew on furlough, and a wide range of disreputable merchants. Beneath this tumult of lawlessness can be found and an even more shadowy world: hereteks, cultists, unrestrained criminals, unsanctioned psykers, and worse. Here a thousand forms of deadly intrigue can be found, and anything from a starship to a human soul can be bartered in Footfall'€"for a price. It is for precisely these reasons that many great powers and factions from the Calixis Sector maintain secretive agents in Footfall: the Administratum, Battlefleet Calixis, the Great Houses of the Imperial Nobility, the disciples of the Dark Gods, the Ministorum... and perhaps even the Holy Ordos of the Inquisition as well.

For the Rogue Traders and their agents, Footfall has many uses beyond those of a simple port. These individuals come to learn about competing interests, find an array of illegal services unavailable on Imperial worlds, send forth trusted crew to carouse, gather new recruits to replace those lost to the void, and participate in deadly intrigues to gain an edge in the exploration of the Koronus Expanse. It is also a place where a vessel can shelter to refit and repair damage in relative safety, provided a Rogue Trader can abide the thousand assorted scum who might flock about, or the dubious strangers who will swarm their injured vessel and toil upon its hull for a few thrones apiece'€"or the hereteks whose price is far higher but whose 'œno questions asked' expertise makes them worth the daemon's bargain to hire.

Slowly, the Sabre, ship of the Trask Dynasty is making her way to dock at Footfall.
Please do not post yet. I will add a picture and some more info later.

Grimbold

Re: Part Two: The Righteous Path

Post by Grimbold » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:38 am

The Sabre slowly flies closer to Footfall and then, after the Vox Operator and the Helmsman find a place to dock and after two hours of maneuvring, the great ship comes to a stop. Footfall awaits.
Please start posting here.

You all remember the Mapmaker: "Alright. The crate is back here, just bring it to Footfall and my contact. His name is Pontus Xipher and he can be found in the Tenebrum Disctict on Footfall. Your promise is enough for me, Rogue Trader Sarvus Trask, I know you will keep it. You can load it onto your ship while we" he indicates Aleksander and himself "work to find your destination. I think it should take at least another hour."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Trask finishes his maneuvering of the ship into port. He finds the task utterly tedious but does not trust anyone else to see the massive ship to safety. He gathers the command crew together and informs them they will go ashore. "We should be prepared, this place, as is rumored, is dangerous." The Lord-Captain shrugs, what place isn't dangerous afterall. "We'll drop off this crate and fulfill our task." He rubs his chin waiting for his crew's responses.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Lorayne stands on the bridge fulled loaded, her armor is polished and shining black, her weapons are at her side, and the woman is ready to blow some heretics or scum into the void if they give anyone of the Saber any kind of trouble. "Let us be on our way at once Captain. Staying put too long will only give our enemies a greater headstart."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Aleksander appears as the ship is pulling into its docking port. He has had a shower, some food, and a nap, and seems much refreshed. Once again he wears his jet black outfit, complete with cowl to cover his third eye.

"I've been to Footfall before," he offers. "It is dangerous. But if we stay in the common areas and keep in small groups, we should be safe. I'll be happy to serve as guide to the best of my ability." He smiles at the thought that even off the ship he's be serving as a Navigator.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Trask nods to Aleksander, pleased in knowing the Navigator's presence will aid them in finding their way around.

"Where was it then?" the Lord-Captain asks himself, "The Tenebrum District? Navigator, do you know where that is?"

He looks to Nathin, "Have the cargo prepared."
Do we have a skiff or something we can drive the crate wherever we need to take it?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Ardus stands by, his robes mostly covering the flak armor he wears. With him, as always, are his chainsword and flamer. Both are primed and ready for action. He stays close to Nathin and has a hand on the flamer's grip. "This should be interesting. I do hope we don't recieve the same greetings we did at the last port..."
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Donan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Donan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:17 pm

Nahin is dressed in simple clothes to blend in, armour beneath them hiwever, and his trusty hellpistol at his hip. He was still not happy about so many clerics onboard, given his brushes with the clergy.

"At least we'll be ready for it, and we should be good for sorting out any problems, by hook or by crook?"

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:37 pm

The captain has the crate placed on a small floating skiff so it can easily be pushed around (it has a mass of roughly 75 kg). Trask (of course) could easily afford to rent some kind of vehicle as a transport. But walking might be more inconspicuous.

While the ship is being refuelled (refuelling and restarting the drives should take some hours so the earliest you can take off again is in around 6 hours) a part of the crew is allowed to go into footfall but of course the drill masters insist that they be back well before the estimated takeoff time.

Some senior crewmembers go about their business, restocking things like food, water, paint, spare parts etc or try to sell off some of their cargo, some of the parts of the pilgrim's ship. The pilgrims, those who do not stay on the Sabre, say their final thanks to the Trask Dynasty and then leave the ship (after those who had weapons got them back) and enter Footfall.

Some other Rogue Traders and factions represented here on Footfall send their standard greetings and welcomings to the Sabre, asking for news and gossip, and soon Trask has several appointments of "having a drink" with three fellow Rogue Traders as well as the representatives of the Solemno Clan, an underworld organisation that has agreed to buy most of the pilgrim ship parts. Of course Trask can decline some of these social events, but it might be bad for business. Nathin gets the appointments sent to his dataslate:

Current time: 04:00
06:00 - Floriana Winterscale, on her ship, the Winter's Heart
07:00 - Severus Solemno, in the Black Bottom pub
08:00 - Gelox Frucus, on his ship, the Emperor's Beacon
09:00 - Malleus Moddigan, on the Sabre.
It is quite normal for a Rogue Trader to have all these events. We can RP them our (or some of them) or just handle them in a sentence or so as it is routine for Trask.
Trask, Lorayne, Ardus, Nathin and Aleksander walk out and enter Footfall. Lots of people of all kinds and ranks bustle about and hurry around on all kinds of errands.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:43 pm

Ardus stays close to the floating skiff, letting the ratings push it along. He keeps his eyes peeled for anyone that may look like they mean trouble.
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...