Part Three: Illicit Earnings

In Rogue Trader, you can explore the universe of Warhammer 40,000 like never before. Vast fortunes await on the edges of the galaxy, if you and your fellow Explorers can muster the courage to find and claim them. Renown and riches reward the bold, but the unwary find only anonymous deaths. A Rogue Trader who can wrest profits from a dangerous universe through luck, cunning, or sheer force of will enjoys something few humans in the 41st Millennium even know '€" a life of adventure and true freedom.Run by the Rogue Trader Grimbold
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Part Three: Illicit Earnings

Post by Grimbold » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:39 am

The crimson coloured giant sun at the heart of SR-651 casts its weak light on everything in the system; countless drifting asteroids, the broken hulks of voidships, the clouds of debris and the run down stations which make up the infamous Receiving and Breaking Yards. Blood red is the colour of SR-651 and it runs everywhere in this terrible place.

The entire system is filled with random junk, creating a navigational nightmare which would be near as bad as the Processional of the Damned were it not so well mapped. Besides the ever shifting asteroid fields are the old hulls themselves, dead and cold at the heart of the system with vulturous salvage teams slowly stripping them down to their bones. It is a place of slow death, where the great metal beasts of the stars meet there undignified end at the hands of hollow eyed indentured workers.

The people here cling to life as desperately as their pathetic hab-domes and overused emergency shelters cling to the asteroids and rotting voidships. They are broken, the poorest of the poor and the weakest of the weak. Most are little more than slaves, in actuality or practicality, and few have ever even know the desire for freedom. They die by the score every day; decompression, industrial accident, radiation or raiders. No one dies of old age in SR-651.

The Receiving Yard, a thirty kilometre long spindle-shaped station orbiting the Breaking Yards which lies at the core of the system, is somewhat more hospitable thanks to the wealth of the travelers who pass through its rusting, dark hallways. Here there are secure docks, habitable hotels, drinking holes and a sprawling market at which a man can buy anything he wishes – from flesh to firearms, nothing is off limits in this place.

You have been aboard the Receiving Yard for nearly six months now, having taken just over two days to reach the place after your titanic battle with the Hadarak Fell. The Frigate Fell Hand is undergoing repairs and outfitting at one of the largest and most professional dry docks in the system, its safety and care overseen by Dock Master Tamus Talmar. You have learned that while the superstitious Dock Master runs the ageing but professional facility, Floriana Winterscale actually owns most of it as a silent partner.

The dock is relatively secured from the rest of the station and while poorly trained and not exactly motivated the mercenaries Talmar uses to guard the facility are at least intimidating enough to frighten away most visitors and hawkers.

The dock has some limited living quarters but they are flea ridden at best and stuffed full of sweaty indentured workers at the worst. While Talmar has welcomed you to use them there has been no need to take up his offer.

The facility is vast, it's central hangar sufficiently large enough to take a cruiser class vessel at once; and there are two further slightly smaller hangars immediately adjacent to it. The flickering void-screen at the “open” end of the hangar is almost certainly a powerful archeotech relic; a wise investment considering that more than two thousand workers are labouring so close to naked space.

Just off the immense docksides are warehouses where starship parts are stored – engines as large as tower blocks, weapon mountings bigger than superheavy tanks, air filtration units that look like vast pipe-mazes – and there are also the beastly fitting machines; Talmar's largest mobile crane is three hundred meters tall with a fearsome looking clawed talon that could pick up buildings whole.

But you
have seen better. The operation is far from professional; the common workers dull eyed and often slightly mutated, the professional fitters are good at their jobs but needlessly surly with the visitors and there is junk everywhere – small ships, vehicles and broken gear which has been stripped are left laying all over the dry dock, wherever there is free space enough to clutter.

These six months have been busy for you all as you have dealt with the simple logistics of repairing the ship. You haven't had much chance to explore the station, though the lavish Rogue Trader Zol Cyris Estobane has been bombarding you all with invitations to dine on his ship or to visit his new facilities.

Sarvus Trask has taken the Sabre to plunder the treasure ship, Righteous Path, and sent the Fell hand here for repairs. He has sent some of his senior officers here to oversee the repairs and wait for the new captain, who should be arriving any day now. On the Breaking Yards, Tsanthos and the others have been able to hire more crew for the Fell Hand.
Ok, you get another 500XP, taking you to a total of 7100, second rank!

I will deal with your acquisition rolls soon. Watch out for pms.

Just a few posts before our new captain arrives from Port Wander... You can write about what you did in the last 6 months besides work and anything your char would want to say or think or organize.

The Fell Hand is almost fully repaired now and new crew has been hired, mostly former indentured workers bought like slaves from their owners...most of them are not very clever but they have some basic skill in dealing with technology.

Any questions? Have fun with the next chapter!
Last edited by Grimbold on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: Part Three: Illicit Earnings

Post by jigglypuff69 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:45 am

Use Trade: Armourer Skill to help forge weapon for Trask's brother.

Please use a Fate Point if the roll fails, as a quality weapon and Mono-Edged is what I'm going for! Warhammer, pg 131 RT Book.

*** Sent a PM on XP question to you, Grim!
Ardus goes about his duties, seeing to the spiritual needs of the flock. He's deeply disturbed by what he sees at the breaking yards, especially withthe slaves as he was one himself. The Missionary knows how the Imperium works, but doesn't always need to like it. He finds his purpose in work, denying the idleness of sitting around dock and waiting for the ship to be fixed.

He spends his time making what space he's givien on the new ship his own. The living quarters are spartan and really only hold what the man needs, nothing more. A few trinkets and trophies sit about, but do not represent the usual display of riches that most senior officers would have. Instead, Ardus has spoken at length with a few of the workers and techpriest and converted one of his room into a work area/forge. With that done, he goes about one task in particular, finding the right piece of metal to forge.

It takes over a month just for that, looking through bins and questioning the usually numb workers, but in the end Ardus comes through. He procurs about ten kilo's of adamantium-alloy, leftovers from the hull of a pre-heresy battlecruiser named Magnus. A ship that fought against the forces of Chaos and having part in the destruction of no less than thirty six enemy vessels, before finaly meeting it's fate in a successful ramming manuever that destroyed it's target and most of itself. With metal in hand, Ardus went to work.

Weeks of hammering, heating, shaping and tempering saw the man locked away in his chambers. He took water and food only when needed and even that was stetched to the edge of his body's limits. The fires of the forge gave birth, although grudgingly, to a weapon of pure purpose and design. The head of the warhammer that Ardus held tapered to a fine striking point on one side and a wicked raven's beak spike on the other. A mono-edge was worked with great care into the weapon, assuring that it would crush armour and bone alike. A weapon for someone of great standing like the Lord-Captain of a new ship. Wiping the sweat and grime from his tatooed scalp, Ardus wraps the weapon in blessed cloths and puts it away, ready for presentation on the day that Trask arrives to take command of the vessel...
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:19 pm

Ardus works on the warhammer for the new captain and (with help from some of the smiths on the ship) the result is pretty impressive. He has not been able to make it a power weapon, but its mono edge is dangerous. The blund edge bears the coat of arms of the Trask dynasty.

Everyone else...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:32 pm

Aleksander has little to do with the refitting of the ship in general, though he does spend several weeks attending to the arrangements in the Navigator's well, even to the point of bringing in extra workers, at his own expense, to modify it precisely to his tastes.

For the rest of the time, he tries to enjoy what comforts he can in this backwater system. He takes a luxury suite at the nicest hotel the Receiving Yard has to offer. And while he tends to keep to himself, not uncommon for a Navigator, he does invite the command staff of the ship to dinner periodically. These dinners are never overdone. But they always include impeccably prepared food, the finest wines, and hundred year old amsec with dessert. He's also more than happy to entertain visitors, particularly Lorayne, with whom he has the longest and closest acquaintance of the command staff.

For much of the six months they are in-system, he keeps a shuttle and pilot on call, again at his own expense. Mostly he uses it for trips to and from the ship, but he also uses it to enjoy the sights of the system, and even occasionally entertains on board, allowing his guests to similarly enjoy those sights.

Nevertheless, he remains eager to leave the system. He is, after all, a Navigator. And his calling is to travel the stars.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Just waiting for everyone to post before having the new captain come. Nathin? Lorayne? Melvust?

I am a teacher in real life and I constantly have to remind students to bring in homework or coursework on time. I do not want to do that in my free time - although I would like everyone to more or less keep to the three-day rule, so post every three days or so (or mention it in the "Absences" thread if you are on holiday or such). It just helps keep the game flowing at an interesting pace...

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by thehitcat » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:56 am

Lorayne has two imperatives that she keeps foremost in her mind during their 6 month stay in system. The primary is to get the ships manpower into fighting shape. There are dual courses and she pursues both of them powering through her days with minimal sleep and maximum effort.

She spends countless hours culling both the current crew and the incoming wretches trying to build a corps of armsmen that while they will not rival actual troops can see off most boarding attempts and perhaps even more feverishly she builds up the gunnery crews insisting that all incoming crew must be tested to see if they have any applicable skills and taking the healthiest and strongest as loaders.

With the armsmen Lorayne realizes that even the elite will probably be unfit to guard the coming Lord Captain in the short time she has to train them but every fighting man has to start somewhere. She institutes live fire training exercises as a method of not only training the men but also weeding out undesirables. For gunnery she runs constant practice alerts, having the junior crew measure response and load time (she would use live fire exercises here as well but she realizes those running the dry dock might object.) Crews that perform are given extra rations and improved living conditions those that don't are given the lash.

Lorayne's other imperative is much less public and much more clandestine. While in dock she works to reactivate her past association with the Wise Quarter criminal organization or at least to use her bonafides to set up a relationship that House Trask and perhaps the Lord Captain can utilize. She does not fear the arbites this far into the Expanse and so while she is not open exactly about her task she is willing to go out of her way to meet with contacts. She does not deny if asked about her nocturnal ramblings by members of the command crew(usually running a drill for her gunnery crews when she comes back deep into the final watches of the night) but she attempts to keep them out of the discourse. This is not a part of her past that she is particularly proud of but she realizes that in the expanse all types of friends are important and she wants to have many things to offer to her new Lord Captain.

Her only real downtime is when she meets up with the remainder of the crew, especially dinners hosted by Aleksander where they reminisce about the adventures they have had with Trask and look ahead to the adventure to come.
Grim, I apologize. You are putting a ton of effort into this great game and I appreciate it.
I have a couple of game questions tied to my actions outlined above. 1) can I in any way affect the level of the crew or portions of the crew. Like if the crew is Competent(30), the base for all crews, can the Armsmen and/or Gunnery crews be 32 or 35 or something due to the drilling I'm doing or can I get an elite group that guard the Lord Captain. Other than Ship Points (which raise the entire crew level up) I don't see a mechanic for this. 2) is there a way mechanically for me to "reactivate my criminal contacts?" or should I just allow you to bring it up as you see fit in RP.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Melvyst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Melvyst » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Melvust is not very talkative in those 6 month. He stays most of the time on the ship coordinating the repairs as well as repairing some important parts himself. Time is curt so theres is no time exploring the dock but he takes some time to inspect and admire the second enginarium a bit closer.

Besides the immense workload he hasn't forgot to restock the tech-priest crew on the ship, selecting the best available ressources and makes sure that they know the ship technical aspect by hearth.

Can I somehow increase any technical aspect of the ships during those 6 month? (maneuverability? )

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:09 pm

Lorayne trains with the strike teams and with the gunnery teams and they do improve their skills a bit. She also forms a small team of special bodyguards for Trask.

Ardus has completed the hammer and it looks great.
It is a warhammer with the mono upgrade
Melvust has aquired some Techpriests. The ship engine crew now has 20 "real" techpriests, a few hundred crew who are skilled in technology and a few thousand laborers.

Then the word goes round: Tiber Trask has arrived (having booked passage on a small free trader) and is on his way to the Fell Hand. He is expected to arrive in about 30 minutes.

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by thehitcat » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Lorayne gets the bodyguard ready doing a personal final inspection of their uniforms and loadout and then moving them into position by the landing bay. They will be ready to present the house colors when Tiber steps on board and to fall into protection duty for him immediately thereafter.

Also because she knows that the coming of the new Lord Captain can be a "tricky" time. She moves the gun crews onto alert status in case the captains shuttle needs cover from the larger ship. She tells the gunnery officer to use passive sensors only so as not to spook the pilot of the shuttle but to be ready at the first sign of threat to paint the incoming predators.

She then moves to the landing bay to be with the bodyguard and other command crew who will be there to meet Tiber.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 am

Ardus makes himself presentable, his armor clean and small ecclesiarchial writing dangling from the shoulders and drifting around in the recycled air. His weapons are alos shined and sharpend. In his arms, he holds a gift for the new captain, made by his own hands. He waits quietly with the others, watching the airlocks for the captain's lighter.
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...