Prelude: Of Friendship and Charters

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Re: The Checkered Pike Inn

Post by pygmaelion » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:56 pm

"Ah, I.. er... Misapprehended your earlier comment... on account of... uh" Stuffing a crust in his mouth to go with the taste of crow, he uses the time to think of something in the way of an apology to say.

"S'ferry kind of you, I'm sure Dawes will appreciate it..." Hiding his face with a great gulp of mead from his tankard which contains only a dribble of it at all... He hops down off the stout wooden stool that has kept his chest level with the table. "I should take them out to him right away, wouldn't want him to fill up on scraps... Er.. Thank you Kullok..."

Shyly turning away with the fine goods in his stubby hands, Tusker peers out the door, and looks for Dawes, and the stable to deliver the treats.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:08 pm

Kullok merely grunts halfheartedly at Tusker and continues to eye his empty bowl further, pondering if he should have a fourth or not...
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Cal sees Kullok eye his bowl. "Why not have another? The lord mayor's picking up the tab." He smiles and asks for a second bowl himself.

"So tell me, what brings you two to the area around Rostov? For our part, we've been traveling north from the River Kingdoms looking for work. We've done a bit helping guard some herds being brought to market. But we were hoping for something a bit more ... challenging."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:38 pm

Nick stands up as Cal offer him a spot closer to the fire. "Thank you kindly Cal." He sits down and dives into someof the stew. Keeping his head down he doesn't get in the middle of the conversation with the others. Once Tusker heads out to the stables to feed Dawes Nick pipes up. "Guess I made a big mess of things. Wasn't watching where I was going, in this slop out there that's a big mistake. I heard you mention the Lord Mayor, he's back in Rostov of course, but I wager he'll want to talk to you all anyhow, gne and saved his wife and daughter and all, but I would let the Lady handle that sort of thing for you." He reaches out and grabs a drink of the mead and guzzles it down.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:10 am

"Are you going to be okay, Nick?" Cal asks the coachman. "The lady said you'd be dismissed. Is that likely to happen or does she tend to bluster?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:27 am

Nick shrugs, "She'll need a driver atleast back to Rostov, after that, if she forgets I'll be alright, but generally once she makes up her mind, she doesn't change it." He looks a bit dejected, "I did almost kill her and her daughter. If you were here, all of you, they and me too, would likely be drowned." He then arrempts to drown his worries in the mead in his mug chugging down the mug's contents.
Once you guys are set I can FF us to the morning and a meeting with the Lady. I want to let Lem and Jorina have a chance to chime in here first however.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:38 am

"Tell you what, Nick." Cal leans back in his chair. "Everyone makes mistakes. And everyone deserves a second chance." He takes a drink of his mead.

"If you get dismissed, I'll find something for you. And if I can't find you anything better, you can come along with us and help us out on the trail. We can't offer you much. But maybe with what the lord mayor will give us there might be more in the future."

He gives the young man a playful punch on the arm. "Hey, I saved you from drowning in the river earlier. I'm not about to abandon you after that."
Normally I wouldn't do this. But given the nature of the game, Cal's traits, and the fact that he's eventually going to take the Leadership feat, having a lackey (And I use that in the Dumas sense) seems totally appropriate.

What do the other players and the GM think of that? Is it more trouble than its worth?

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:52 am

It takes a while until the small figure of Lem Lillyweed appears in the tavern room a beaming smile on his face and a hefty halfling appetite in his stomach. "Ah a hot bath was really needed to sooth my weary bones... now how about a bowl of that stew!" and while Kullok is still debating if he should eat a fourth bowl Lem has finished his first and states "I'll bring ye another big men need much too eat and little men more." shortly therafter he returns with 3 bowl and a mug of mead which he nimbly balances in his small hands. he hands one over to the large man and instantaniously dives into one of the others. Quickly thereafter he guzzles down the jug of mead before getting right to his next bowl only pausing for a big burp and the remark "Phew me thinks 3 bowls is enough for me! So where you from big man? Ye look like a man o the north?"
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:48 pm

Nick smiles, "That's mighty nice of you Cal, shame is I can't come no place. I have a wife and family back in Rostov I have to think about." He puts on a brave face, "I'm not worried there are all sorts of people needing a coachman. I... I should be just fine. Now lets know spoil this good meal with such talk." He clams up and won't talk about it again as he gobbles down the good fare.

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Meanwhile, in the damp outdoors, Tusker makes a dash to the stables, attempting to split the difference between drops in the miserable cold darkening rain.

Mr. Dawes lies lazily on his side near the door of the stables, filled to his limit with whatever slops the kitchen had to provide. There in the stables are the unhitched horses of Nick's pulling team. They look to have been de-tacked and brushed quickly by the stable hands, and the carriage has been rolled to the back of the sizable stable with wheels chocked.

Producing the sugarbrandied radishes and the turnip, Tusker says to the horses "You've had quite a day today, and have earned a reward for your part in saving the carriage and coachman... I hope you like radishes, they are a bit tangy." Holding up the radishes on a flat palm (as not to lose any fingers), Slough offers the roots to the horses one at a time.

"Try to watch out for Nick... he's a danger when he's distracted, you know. He doesn't mean ill, he's just... I don't know. Human. So if it looks like he's driving you carelessly, try to correct for him, if you would. After all, he's only got two legs."

With only the large turnip remaining, and the horses chomping away at the tangy, sweet, intoxicating radishes, Tusker lets out a loud "Ahem".

"Pardon, but... if the Stableman's about, I'd rather like to give this to you..." pausing to see if anyone turns up, Tusker continues "It'd be a shame to let such a fine vegetable go to my pet, considering his current level of fullness... So i'll just leave it up here on this shelf for you... Compliments of Kullok the Biggo and those who travel with him."

Looking around at the horses, the lazy hog, and the carriage, Slough decides that if there is a Stableman about, he'll find the root soon enough.

"Sorry, Mr. Dawes, but I suspect you've already had more'n enough already... get your rest, and stay out of the puddles. We've gotta look presentable for tomorrow's meeting with his Mayorship. If you see a stable hand, be sure they get their gift from the Giant... he's mysteriously generous when he's not threatening to kill you or cussing the air. Funny who you fall in with these days. Anyone can drive a carriage off a bridge, but it takes Nobility to get cuss-mouths to use cutlery."