Prelude: Of Friendship and Charters

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: The Checkered Pike Inn

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:54 pm

"I don't like questions!" replies Kullok sternly to both Cal and Lem, his eyes now somewhat glassy from having indulged himself in too much mead and stew. "But," he then continues eventually, "IF you must know, I come from the lands WEST of here, in Numeria." Continuing onwards, Kullok then states sullenly. "I am the last of my kind, my kinsmen killed off long ago over petty squabbles. I am now nothing more than a roamer, wanderer, nomad, vagabond. Call me what you will, I simply do not care. The earth I tread has become my newfound throne, and I adapt to the unknown as best I can. Under the wandering stars I have grown and anywhere I might roam, where I lay my head is my newfound home." Having realized he has just spoken in prose and rhyme, Kullok immediately begins to chortle healthily as he then concludes. "In answer to your questions then, I guess my answer would have to simply be that I am no one."
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Lem merely nods approvingly at the big mans words... "Words well spoken, maybe you should make a song of that. Heard a lot about this Numeria place... supposedly it's pretty nice there. at least we have something in common then... I'm also the last of my line..." as he speaks his last words the smile on his face begins to fade and he rises to fetch himself another mead.
Big Pimpin...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:25 pm

"Nice!?" comments Kullok, his nose now reddened from mead. "It's damnable shithole! Ever since that blasted meteor fell and the metal-men started climbing out of the holes of its infernal wreckage, my peoples' land has been overrun with nothing but holier-than-now glory-seekers and downright thieving plunderers." Obviously quite inebriated, Kullok then continues. "My fath...My father died for his foolish beliefs... He wanted to drive the invaders, ALL of them, from our lands and was labeled a traitor to his own kind in the process!"

Now angry and saddened by his comments, the large barbarian then reluctantly adds. "I watched my father get cut down by his own brother's sister's cousin on my mother's side and the evil bastard loved every moment of it!" After a moment of deeply intense inner thought and reflection, he goes on to state. "I too was left for dead amidst the corpses of my own clansmen, and if not for the kindness *pteh* of some damnable roaming dwarves, I would have been nothing more than food for the crows and other beasts that roam the hills of my wretched homeland."

"Some days," Kullok finally concludes, "I even find myself wondering if that would not have been a much better fate than this infernal existence I have now..."

These last comments are uttered as the drunken behemoth gazes over in Jorina's direction.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:46 pm

Oddly the small halfling smiles again at Kullok's grim tale before responding his mood apparently much better now "Hmm sad story big man, but hey at least you haven't lived in slavery for most your life have you? And look at it this way had you neve left yer home we'd never met and drink this tasty mead." with that he takes a deep gulp from his tankard before issueing a belowing burp.
Big Pimpin...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:48 pm

"No one should be caged..." replies Kullok to Lem, his mood suddenly changing to one of heartfelt admiration. "I myself know all too well the shackles of slavery, having watched my father beat and torture those foreign captives he deemed no worthy to live on our land, as well as feeling like a prisoner amongst my rescuers, the dwarves. Those times were...unforgetable." "Nevertheless," the huge brute continues, once again filling his mug with mead and sharing the halfling's toast. "They are well behind us now. Let's celebrate our time together now and pray that it brings us good fortune in the days to come!" *GULP*
Bonus points for Diablo 2 reference!

Kullok likes Lem now btw!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Lady Sellemius' Reward

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:55 pm

Ok Para isn't going to be around so...
Jorina never arrives from her room, she has her meal sent up to her so she doesn't miss out. Kullok's inquiry into her condition turns up that the woman has gotten sick. Travel out in the rain, exposed as she was, and her general state of health since her 'leaving' her former employer has taken its toll on her. With a nast sinus infection and something in her lungs as well, she's chosen to hold up in her bed, under the blankets near her fire and get some sleep.

The group continues to eat the Innkeeper out of house and home devouring everything they can get their hands on. The Halfling and the Barbarian go bowl for bowl and mug for mug and the little fellow holds his own and shows Kolluk up a few times even. The group bonds over the drink and the fire and soon its very late and everyone heads off to bed.

** Morning **
When morning arrives, a few hangover are to be had, but nothing disabling. You eventually all return to the common room, save for Jorina who is sleeping in and Nick who is tending the horses and carriage already, and have yourselves breakfast. Just as you are finishing up some oatmeal and some sides of bacon and biscuits the Lady Sellemius and her daughter arrive from upstairs.

The woman is in a far more stately manner this morning, cleaned, and not soaking wet from the rain, or undone from the carriage ride. Her long brown hair is braided in two long tresses that hang down over her shoulders and chest with silver ribbons. Her dress is a fine powder blue with silver thread-work along the hems and small lace designs of roses and swords woven into the sleaves. She is middle aged, but an attractive woman when she isn't scowling. Her daughter wears a similar style (in cut and design) dress of green with less decorations on it. A fair haired young woman she is also good looking and its clear that she is her mother's daughter by posture, appearance, and poise.

Lady Sellemius arrives in the common room and waits for you to all recognize her arrival. Then she strides up to your table and gives a slight curtsey. "Good morning my fine gentlemen. I hope you found your accomodation suitable for you last night. I am pleased to be able to provide you such a simple gift for your heroic actions at the bridge last night. I fear I was out of sorts last night, as you can imagine, but today I am feeling much better." She produces a small scroll, "I have thought long and hard on how to properly reward your heroism in saving my daughter and I and have come up with this." She hands it to whomever reaches out to take it first. "It is a letter from me to my husband The Lord Major of the City of Rostov to the east. It explains what took place, your actions in saving me, my daughter, our luggage and the carriage and horses as well. Oh yes, and the Coachman too. Take this east to Rostov, present it to my husband, and he shall generously reward you. He has been searching for a group of men and woman much like yourselves for an important task, and I think you all shall find it just perfectly suitable for your various tallents." She holds the letter out awaiting your replies and for someone to take it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Lady Sellemius' Reward

Post by pygmaelion » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:09 pm

Stepping forward and taking a knee, Tusker shows deference to her Ladyship. Reaching up to receive the letter with both hands, he finds himself too low to reach up to get it.

Rising slightly, the elegant parchment is delicate and stiff in his fingers.
"Our most gracious thanks, M'Lady, your hospitality is humbilng!" Stealing a quick glance over his shoulder at Calanthir, Slough's stark white eyebrows raise as the suddenly saucer eyed Gnome flashes a look of disbelief. Turning back to face Lady Sellemius, he bows "We are honored to be of service to your line!".

Stepping back with a little too much buoyant spring, Tusker practically prances back a step and a half to his party. "Should I open it, Cal? What do you think, Lem? Should we read it out loud?". The giddy excitement of anticipation concerning the contents of the letter bolsters his whisper to audibility.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:17 pm

Cal rises as soon as he sees the ladies arrive. "Good morning Lady Sellemius," he says with a proper bow. "And good morning Lady Gianna." He bows to the daughter as well.

"Thank you very much for your generosity," he adds, looking back to the mother. "The accommodations and the food have been excellent. I hope you two have suffered no ill effects from your accident last night."

When she offers the scroll, he moves forward, but holds himself back when he sees Tusker accepting it. "My Lady is too kind." He says instead. "But we shall bring this to the Lord Mayor as you request. And we should be most pleased if we can aid him with some task."

He looks at Tusker and gives him a meaningful look. "I think the message is for the Lord Mayor and that we are to deliver it with its seal intact." He glances back at Lady Sellemius. "I assure you, we shall keep it safe, secure, and unopened until we can deliver it to your husband's hands."
I think it's a letter for him, not for us.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Trog's right about the letter.
The Lady hands the letter to the little white haired gnome and almost smiles at his antics but doesn't. "Excellent Calanthir Andresen. Take it to my husband, present the seal on the outside to the guards and they shall see you safely to his presence." She answers the other question, "My daughter and I are no worse for wear after the events of last night. Some of our bagage is so wet as to be beyond repair, luckily our parchments and ink didn't fall into river and remains attached to the coach. Now then. I have pressing matters and must be on my way south to Varnhold. I bit you all a good day, and perhaps we might meet each other once again under better circumstances."

The young Ginana is flush red when Cal speaks to her, and she attempts to look down and away from her mother so she doesn't notice.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 pm

"Good day to you both," Cal says by way of goodbye. "And safe journeys to you. I look forward to when we can meet again." He gives both mother and daughter a broad smile.