Book 1: Act 1 - Oleg's Tradepost

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: New Arrivals at the Trade Post

Post by Trogdor » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:45 am

"I know," Cal says with genuine understanding. "It's not fair, and it's hard to accept." Tusker's reaction brings back the painful memories of his parents' death and the tremendous anguish he felt at the time. "Let the grief flow now," he says. "And worry about the rest later."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Tusker looks up through blerry eyes and nods a thank you to all the support. He blows his nose into the napkin at the table and just sort of slumps there in his chair. "I supose I'll have to leave you all, at least for a time. I need to go to my family, to my new nephew, and to see my sister on her way." He reaches out and picks up the mug before him and drowns his sadness in ale for the rest of the night.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:58 pm

"We understand, Tusker," Cal says to the distraught gnome. "You worry about your family ... about your nephew. With Valen's help, we'll manage down here. And when you do get matters settled, you know there's always a place for you down here."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Family Matters

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:17 pm

Tusker drinks another swing, "Thanks Cal, you're alright." He spends most of the rest of the time drinking and crying, trying to hide the amounts of both that he does. He eventually heads to the barraks where he can be alone for a while with his thoughts. In the morning he plans to set out to attend the funeral of his sister and be with his family.
This is my way of removing pyg from the game, while leaving him an easy back in once he returns. With Valen/Chanur in the game, we remain at 4 PCs and are good to go.

I'll work on loot stuff now, I kinda forgot about that.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Family Matters

Post by Trogdor » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:17 pm

Cal stays with Tusker until the gnome heads off to the barracks, talking with him, listening to him, or just keeping him company, as he wishes. Once he leaves, however, the sorcerer heads off to see Oleg.

"Tusker's letter was bad news, I'm afraid," he tells the trader. "His sister died, leaving behind his nephew. He's going to have to go north for a while. Is anyone else heading that way soon? I'd feel better knowing that he wasn't traveling alone. You have some weapons and armor to sell, so I figured you might be sending someone that way."

Once matters with Tusker are settled, Cal moves on to another idea he had. "I was wondering about something else, Oleg," he says. "My parents were herbalists and alchemists. They taught me a lot of their trade. And my magical studies taught me some more. I was wondering of you might be able to get hold of the rudiments of an alchemical lab. I can give you some lists of what I'd need. With that, I might be able to set some thing brewing while I'm here. Might even be that if Colban has any aptitude, I could teach him some of the simpler formulae. I figure it ought to be a whole lot cheaper to make alchemical items than to buy them. If you can get me materials and a place to work, I could pay you off in alchemical supplies. If we split the cost savings, it could be a profitable venture for both of us. And it would make it easier for you to keep a steady supply of alchemical items in stock. You wouldn't be at the mercy of your suppliers up north." He raises an eyebrow. "What do you think, Oleg?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:10 am

Tusker thanks everyone for their concern and heads off.

Calanthir then corners Oleg and starts talking shop with the trader. Oleg joins the group at the table, by now the meal is over, but everyone is enjoying a moment of peace before they do more. Oleg replies to Cal, "Well, Garess' men are heading to Rostov with your prisoner in the morning, I warger Tusker can travel with them most of the way, should be safe enough with all them guards together." It works out well, Tusker can keep an eye on the prisoners, and be guarded most of his trip since Rostov is mostly on his way.

The talk turns to buying and selling now, Oleg rubs his head, "Well geeper and Alchemic Lab, a full blown one could run hundreds of dollars, and then there is the worry about where to put it, and all that. I can send a request with Garess' men to someone I know in Rostov, might take a few weeks to get it feighted down here, what with all the glass and things it would have with it. Of course if you are interested in potions and the like, you can just head out to see Old Bokken, the hermit to the east." He motions southeast as if you could see where the man lives through the walls. "Its some miles away, and the man smells terrible, I don't think he ever bathes, but he's a heck of a chemist. Makes all kinds of potions and the like, that's actually where I got those potions I have to you from. I would go talk to him if I were you, but that doesn't mean I can't get you your order either."
Oleg updates your map!

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:42 pm

Arenhal offers his condolences to the little gnome, genuine concern marking his face and voice. "Take care of them, and come back when you can." He spends some time checking through Oleg's inventory before approaching the trader and Cal.

"Oleg, you wouldn't happen to have a way to trade large amounts of raw minerals, would you?" He reaches into his pocket and pulls out the ore he chipped from the cave. "I think we might be able to find some miners," he glances at the sorcerer, "and fix the kobold problem."
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:56 am

"Please do order the alchemical equipment," Cal says after a moment of thought. I'll give you a list of what I'd like. Just get what you can. I think we'll definitely pay a visit to Old Bokken. But I'd still like to have a proper alchemical lab for myself. We can worry about where to set it up later."

Then as Arenhal speaks up, he adds, "and there's also the rickety bridge we found. It's in an excellent location. And it's sturdy enough that repairing it shouldn't be too hard. I'd love to see how expensive it would be to get equipment and a repair crew down here to get the bridge in good shape again. If we find anything worth trading on the far side of the river, that bridge could be invaluable."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:31 am

As everyone seems busy with Oleg Lem slips out of the dining room unnoticed and sticks his little head into the kitchen, where he finds Svetlana still busying herself with something. "I must say my dear Svetlana! Your dinner was even better without moonraddish than it would have been with. At least if I had cooked it!"
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Oleg answers Arenhal first, "Not really, I can move some raw materials, but how much are you talking about?" He looks at the hunk of gold and bites it checking its purity. "Whoohee, good stuff. You find yourself a goldmine then?" He pieces together what the half lef is suggesting about miners and materials. "The problem with any gold mine in these parts is security, with the bandits still about, and freebooters and claimjumpers, you'd need a good amount of guards to keep things safe. If I were you, I'd keep the location of any mine you have secret till you can raise enough forces to keep it protected."

He turns to Cal, "I'll send out an order along with Garess, his men can take it to Rostov along with your prisoner. Going to probably take a week or more to get it all here, glass and the like doesn't like the roads down here, but I'll get it for you sir. Let's see, I'll need half the coins up front, to cover shipping costs and the like, and the other half when it arrives. We can work the details out later."

** Kitchen **
Lem slips off to the kitchen to find Sveltana, who is busy watching dishes and the like. She smiles as Lem arrives, "Well hello there Mr.Lillywag. Oh that is mighty kind of you to say, but you don'y Oleg. A few Moonradishes and he's a happy man. I sure do hope you can find some during your travels."
This has been some great RP, but I know you are all excited to keep moving. I'd like to make sure we RP with Garess 'today' as well, you have some to talk to him about and him you. Once we finish inside, should head outside and talk to him, and we can keep things going. So far its been moving well, and you guys are doing great, really enjoying this game.