Book 1: Act 2 - First Explore of the Greenbelt

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 1: Act 2 - First Explore of the Greenbelt

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:19 pm

Image Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt. Exploration should be limited to an area no further than thirty-six miles east and west and sixty miles south of Oleg's Trading Post. The carrier of this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior to be encountered. The punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by swod or rope.

So witnessed on this 24th day of Gozran, under watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov and authority graned by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of the Dragonscale Throne.

10 Desnas, 4708 AR, Late Spring

Our heroes, having saved the Lord Major of Rostov's wife from a possibly disastrous carriage accident were granted a charter by the Sword lords of Rostov to explore the Greenbelt and to deal with the bandit problem plaguing the area. Traveling to the only piece of civilization on the edge of the Greenbelt, Oleg's Trade Post, the heroes soon went to work. Defending the post from Happs Bydon and his bandits, protecting Oleg and his wife Svetlana, the group started out on a good foot. From there, the explorers and would be bandit killers pressed south into the swath of forest known as the Narlmarches. Seeking a camp of bandits, who were under the employ of mysterious Stag Lord, the bandit king of the region, the group found their quarry and defeated them, even killing the camp leader Kressel, a nasty axe wielding woman.

Taking some time to explore the area, a few interesting items were found in the wilds, a possible gold mine, an old bridge in need of repair, and the title of Bearslayer for Lem Lillywag! Returned to the Thorn River Ford, the group encounters more bandits, returned from patrols, and took some of the men captive. Now with prisoners, and loot, the explorers turned north for Oleg's once more.

Arriving in the trade post they group encountered a few new arrivals. Kesten Garess a 'knight' from Rostov, who agreed to take messages and prisoners back to Rostov in exchange for a promise from the group to keep their eye out for a criminal he's looking for by the name of Falgrim Sneeg. The heroes also came in contact with Jhod Kavken, a Priest of Erastil, and his apprentice Valen Tar'Dath. Another quest was gained from the priest, and a new companion in the form of the apprentice. Now with a goal to find an ancient temple of Erastil and defeat its bear guardian our explorers have more than enough items on their plate to handle.

Bad news arrived however for Tusker Slough, one of his sisters, Goldie Slough-Tinklebottom died giving birth to her 9th child, a son Hamdinkle. Tusker, greatly broken up over the news, has chosen to return to his family, for the funeral of his sister and to see his newest nephew.

So it is with teary good-byes that we find our heroes on the morning after returning to Oleg's at the gate to the trade post. Gathered outside the gate are two guards, soldiers and men of Kesten Garess. In their care are the two bandit prisoners, tied and bound, prepared to make the trip to Rostov to pay for their crimes (likely at the end of a noose, or in a work camp for the rest of their lives). Kesten stands with his men, giving them last minute orders, and speaking to them in low tones. Behind the heroes, inside the trade post near the stables, is Oleg, Svetlana, Jhod, and Colban, the quartet standing a safe distance from the heroes, watching, but respectful of what is happening.

Gathered at the gate itself is Calanthir, Lem, Arenhal, Valen, Tusker and Mr.Dawes. Tusker has packed his things, and with a heavy sigh is saying his good-byes to you all before he joins Kesten's men and the prisoners on his trip to see his family. The white haired gnome has one hand on Dawes, the hearty warthog, and another extended to Cal, "Well, it has been an honor to travel with you. I sure hope I might find you again, but the way fate is, I don't dare hope too much." He is holding back tears, parting from his friends, and the situation with his family has him very emotional.
Welcome to the next act! This act will, I suspect, be mostly you guys exploring the Greenbelt, doing side quests, and leveling up in anticipation of attacking the Stag Lord's hideout. We day good bye to Tusker and Dawes, and welcome Valen as a full on member of the team. Feel free to RP all you light at the gate and once done, the group will set out for Rostov and beyond, then you guys can turn back to exploring!
Last edited by Vardaen on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Act 1 - Exploring the Greenbelt

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Cal puts a hand on the gnome's shoulder, sad to see his friend go, particularly under such circumstances. "Take care of that nephew of yours, Tusker," he says. "And know that you're welcome to come back to us any time. We look forward to seeing you soon, but will understand if it can't be so."

After proper goodbyes are said, He moves with the others outside of the gate and toward the nearby woods. "I think we're best exploring the area around Oleg's as a start," he says. "I'd say generally south, skirting around the gold mine to check out the sycamore tree we heard about, or west until we get to the river and then follow that to the ford." He raises any eyebrow. "What do the three of you say?"
I say we head for A4-A3-B3-B4 to clear out the corner from Oleg's to the river, or we go B-4 B-5 C-6 D-5 to check out the sycamore tree that the kobolds supposedly live under.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 am

Valen steps forward to say goodbye to his new friend.

"Tusker, I hope you are able to come back some day but understand if you are not able. I want you to know you go with the Elk Fathers blessing, nothing is more important to him than family. I hope he smiles on you and yours."

Stepping back to the group, Valen nods at Cal.
"I couldn't agree more, I think we should explore and make safe the area around Oleg's as a priority."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:01 am

Tusker keeps hold of Valen's hand, and doesn't let him go. "Thank you Valen, I don't know you, and you don't know me, atleast not yet. I do know my friends, Cal and Lem and Arenhal too. I know them enough that they are going to get into trouble. I want you to take this, and make sure it's pur to good use. Understand me?" He makes a intimidating like face at Valen, but in a good natured way as he hands over a healing pack to the priest, inside Valen will find not only a nearly full stock of healing supplies, but two cure light wounds potions as well.
I'm transfereing some of Tusker's items to Valen so he can continue on healing the group.
Letting go Tusker waves to Cal, "Take notes, detailed notes, I want to know all the places you find! I better see a good map worthy of a Slough!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:45 am

"I will take good care of them Tusker, until you return."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:54 am

Lem is all tears as he says farewell to his dear friend Tusker Slough wrapping the gnome in a warm embrace and patting his companion Mr.Dawes head.
When Tusker's makes his way north to Rostov Lem stands there his head hanging and his face sad. When the conversation moves to discussing their plans for exploring Lem halfheartedly agrees with Cal and Valen.
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:57 am

"How does this sound?" Cal asks the others. "We'll head east and talk to this Bokken fellow that Oleg told us about. We might even be able to pick up a healing potion or two while we're at it. Then we head due south to talk to the kobolds and see if we can get Svetlana's ring back. Along the way, we explore and continue working on Tusker's map. Sound good to the rest of you?
Upon further consideration, I think A6-B5-C6-D5 is the best route to take. Any objections?

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:17 am

"Aye boss" the otherwise cheery halfling replies with a sour mine.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Tusker gives Lem a warm hug, the two little folks had a stronger bond than most. Finally Tusker and Dawes head off to join Kesten and the men. "Fair well my friends! And remember, I expect you to keep details maps of the terrain!" With final waves from Oleg and the others, Tusker, and the guards ride off up the road. The halfling sits on the back of a saddle of one of the guards, and the five men, and one warthog trott away into the distance.

After waving good-bye for a few minutes, Oleg, his wife, and the others turn back to the tradepost and get back to work, life hasn't stopped out here just because some folks are leaving. Kesten and his two remaining men pass back inside the gate, give you a nod and some kind words and then head toward their tents.

That leave you standing at the gate debating your best course of action. Using a map that Tusker left behind in Cal's posession you plot your course and possible route through the Greenbelt, atleast as best as you can from here.
Alright that handles just about everyone. You guys can debate your course as long as you like, when you are ready to actually set out, just tell me which direction and in what manner (travel, explore, etc)

Note: Since Oleg gave you directions to Bokken's you will find his place automattically and don't have to spend the day exploring his hex if you chose to go that way inorder to find him.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:56 pm

"Valen, Arenhal?" Cal asks the other two. "Are you okay with us going east then south?"