Book 1: Act 2 - First Explore of the Greenbelt

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Quests Completed!

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:09 am

Cal takes a deep breath, then an even deeper drink. "I understand your concerns, Oleg. I really do. And I certainly don't want to risk your or Svetlana's safety. But I do wish you'd reconsider. The kobolds are our neighbors whether we like it or not. That gives us three options on how to deal with them. We can kill them all and hope more don't move in." He holds up one finger. "We can live in a state of constant fighting like you've had these past months." He holds up two fingers. "Or we can try and make some kind of meaningful peace with them." He holds up three fingers.

"I know the first option sounds simplest," Cal says. "But it's far more complicated than that. For one thing, I can't help you with it. Killing to preserve life and security is one thing. Killing for convenience is not something I care to be involved in." He takes another drink. "They're people, just like you and me. A bit more on the primitive side, it's true. But not irredeemably evil like some groups. If it matters, they hate the Stag Lord as much as we do. In fact, the reason that they caused so much trouble is that they lumped all the people they saw here in the Greenbelt with the Stag Lord - they have as much trouble telling us apart as we do them. Now that they know there's a difference, they've promised to leave us alone. My hope had been that if we could build up some regular commerce between men and kobolds, we might help strengthen their resolve to be friends rather than enemies to the people in this area. And if other tribes of kobolds start to see that there's an advantage to working peaceably with men, well, then that makes the area doubly safe."

"They had Svetlana's ring, it's true," Cal continues. "But that's because they took it from the bandits who stole it from her. And they did give it back to us when we told them what happened." This was shading the truth a bit, the sorcerer knows. But it was in a good cause. "And you may find this odd, but when I suggested one of them come with us back to the trading post, they were as worried about you as you are about them. After all, one kobold among half a dozen men is no threat to you. But he'd be putting his life in your hands. Clearly there's some room for better communication."

Cal holds up a hand. "Like I said, I know it's a lot to take in right now, and I won't push it. All I ask is that you think about it. Consider what I've said and keep an open mind. Maybe we could arrange some simple trading to start with at a neutral spot. Or we could take some trade goods to the Sootscales to show them what trade with men could mean to them, and to see what they could offer in return. I've found that lofty words are good, but the tangible benefits of trade, whether it be coin or goods, can be a lot more persuasive. I'll wager that in time both sides would see the benefit of trade."
Trying to set the foundation for future dealings with the Sootscales.

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Arenhal speaks, his voice low, almost conspiritorial. "I would suggest that any trade begin small. A handful of kobolds and a similar number of men. They live in an abandoned silver mine. Perhaps they can find another vein and begin real trade."
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Lem drums his finger on the table as he looks around for a mug now that his has been claimed by the owner. Seeing that Cal is busy talking he decides to make the best of the situation and borrow his mug for now. When Cal is finished speaking and Lem is finished with his bear he returns the almost empty mug without anyone ever really taking note and before Cal can come complaining speaks u.
"Ye know those Kobolds, I don't like them one bit I must say. Greedy little fellas"... the halfling emits a man size burp "... oops excuse me... in any case I think you might be making some mighty fine coin of them soon. After all they're well known for their skill in mining and we recently claimed a gold mine. Having them work there might not be such a bad idea. And since this is the only place out here a Kobold could spend some gold..." Lem leaves the rest unsaid as he knows Oleg is businessman enough to put 2 and 2 together.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:20 am

Oleg listens to Cal give his speach and a few times he scoffs but a few times he nods in understanding. He looks down at Lem as the halfling mentions a gold mine and trade.

The man rubs his temples "Alright. If these little lizard people are enemies of the Stag Lord then they can't be all bad. You said they gave you back the ring and they are interested in trading. How can I say no." He holds a hand up before anyone get's too exited. "If they are interested in real trade, and no skullduggery here I'll allow a few of them to come up and stay outside the fort until they prove themselves truthworthy. I can't go turning my back on a customer, or an enemy of the Stag Lord. But I can't risk Svtelana or the post to some kobold tricks." He drinks from his mug, "I'll let this happen on one more condition. That you are all there the first time we meet. So as to keep us safe and keep these kobold allies of your in line, just in case."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:34 am

"Agreed," Cal says without any reservation. "In fact, I suspect that the Sootscales would require those same conditions." Then, changing the subject to something more mundane, he adds, "so, any word on our orders from up north? I'm just about out of tea. I've been hoarding what little I have left, and would love to refresh my supplies."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:46 am

Oleg nods, and is pleased to change the subject. "Your orders, yes, well two of the things have arrived. Your tea is here along with the strongbox. We can deal with that sort of thing in the morning, along with any other items you've interested in selling or buying, I have rotated some of my stock some so you'll want to check things out in the light of day." He then puts his mug down, "The Alchemy lab, that's going to take a bit longer. Took a while to find someone willing to ship all that glass and such this far. I suspect it should arrive on a slow coach from Rostov in a few days yet."
Updated Oleg's Shopping Sheet
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:01 am

"I'm not in a great hurry to get the alchemy lab," Cal replies. "In fact, I'm impressed that you managed to get it shipped at all in less than a month." He smiles and takes a sip of his much diminished mug. His eyes narrow in suspicion, but he doesn't say anything about it. "But you're right, Oleg, that's a matter for tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to enjoy your beer and a real bed - if you have one free. We can go over our survey with the three of you in more detail after breakfast. And I hope that's where we'll have the opportunity to say hello to Svetlana."
Nothing more for the evening.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Oleg nods about the beds, "The bunkhouse is empty right now, a few rangers passed through the other night, and so other than Jhod and Kesten the place is wide open. Beds are yours, and let's get you some more ale!" He refills everyone's mug and then sits down and asks about your adventures, your fights and anything else you might have found, particularly interested in the mines and possible trading options.

The night rolls along, at some point the Kobold Shaman is brought up, and Valen steps forward with something intersting to add.
Okay lets resolve the Shaman's Journal now before anyone forgets again :)

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:52 pm

The journal is in Undercommon, as I recall. Does anyone speak Undercommon?
"...and when we searched through the shaman's belongings," Cal concludes after describing the business with the kobolds and the mites, "we found a Stag Lord amulet and a journal written in a language I don't recognize. Valan has it right now and has been slowly working his way through it using prayers of understanding. Can any of you make heads or tails of it on its face?" He takes a drink of ale to wet his whistle after the recounting of their adventures. "It seems to me that he may have been in league with the Stag Lord., though the journal would probably tell us more if we could read it more quickly."

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:58 pm

Arenhal listens, eating and drinking slowly as Cal relates the stories. He gratefully takes the second ale though, and finally speaks up. "Might be worth noting that the little bastard didn't look like the rest of the kobolds. I don't know much about kobolds, but if he's from a different tribe, it might mean that the Stag Lord has a whole bunch of them around."
"I will always return."
-Shinjo