Book 1: Act 3 - Second Explore of the Greenbelt

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Sarenith 23, Oleg's Trade Post, Late Evening

Post by mackaber » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:15 am

"And hungry!" Lem adds "and we brought lots of board for Svetlana to roast for us!"
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Oleg nods, and heads off to get the dinner ready for you. That gives you time to head into the bunkhouse and put your gear down, take your armor off, remove your damp boots and generally get cleaned up and comfortable. It has been a long trip and your are tired at this late hour, so when Oleg returns with the cold chicken and buttermilk to try not to bother him. Eating, cleaning, you ready for bed and during the process Jhod wakes from all the noise (even if you are being careful). The older priest wakes up with sand in his eye and rubs them, "Welcome back Valen, fellas." Then he really wakes up, "Any new about the temple? I had a dream that a great bear was slain. It was you right? You've found the temple?" The priest sits on the edge of his bed in his nightclothes almost like a child before Mid Winter Festival.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:59 pm

"Yes indeed and no other then Lem Bearslayer to bring the beast down!" Lem boasts kiddingly.
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:06 pm

I had been waiting to let Valan deliver the news. But I guess the cat's out of the bag now.
"Indeed we did, sir," Cal adds. "I'll let Valan give you the details. "But we did find the lost temple to Erastil, as well as a statue to Old Deadeye in the wilds not far away from the temple."

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:52 am

Valen looks at Jhod both abashed and pleased that they woke the priest despite being quiet. Placing the last of his armor down he sits down opposite Jhod.

"We found it Jhod we found it! It was indescribable, the feelings of profound peace and fulfillment I felt. I almost feel like I will never do anything as important as that again and ...I am okay with it. The temple needs some work to bring it back to use but is in great shape. There was a guardian...I don't think it was truly a bear but it looked like one. I prayed to the Elk Father and he gave me guidance. He told me slaying the poor beast would be a mercy and once we did the temple sprang back to life!" Valen pauses a moment to catch his breath his bright green eyes sparkling.

"I think I will return there in a few days and begin setting the temple to rights. The Elk Father want's it restored and he seems to have tasked me with doing so. It will mean leaving my friends, but I must listen to the calling of my faith." He knows he has not mentioned this to his group and his face flushes with shame. Trying to change the subject "I brought others to the fold! Cal has converted, and I am thankful daily."

Valen looks at Jhod his young face bright with hope for the future and at his friends.
Playing up the spiritual significance to Valen some.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:09 pm

"It was truly special, a miracle!" the woodsman addds to Valen's accounts then raising a curious eyebrow at Valen's idea of rebuilding the temple.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:19 pm

Jhod is rubbing the sleep from his eyes when Lem and Cal mention the temple. By the time Valen is speaking Jhod is wide eyed and as excited as a little boy at his nameday party. "You found it? Oh praise Erastil!" He stands up and clasps Valen on hands, "I will go with you, and begin the restoration at once. We have much to do, supplies to bring in, cleaning and rebuilding, missionary work!!! Oh yes, oh yes!" He then glances over at the others, "But... no, no we can't even begin to think of truely restoring it until the region is safe, until the Stag Lord is dead. Valen you have a calling beyond scrubbing temple floors and preaching to the random tracker that might come through. You are destined for something greater. At least in the near future you must remain with Cal, Lem and Arnehal, and purge the Greenbelt of the bandit threat. Then, then we can talk about how you can best work at the temple." He looks over at Lem, "I am glad to hear some of you have converted, so too is Ol'Deadeye, but you plan to continue against the Stag Lord right?" With a nod of confirmation from Cal Jhod looks relieved.

"Tomorrow, or whenever you set back out I would ask that you bring me to the Temple. I will do all I can until the bandits threat is gone that includes offering you what prayers and spellcasting I can, at no charge of course. Erastil has no need of coins from those who serve him so faithfully. I'll also want to hear about this statue you found."
The Quest Completes:

Quest: Temple of the Elk - Completed
Source: Jhod Kavken, at Oleg's Trading Post

Task: Jhod has asked the group to seek out a lost temple of Erastil somewhere to the south. He warns you that a large bear seems to be guarding the site, and that something isn't quite "right" about the bear. He's sent his apprentice Valen along with the group to assit in the task.

Reward: Jhod agrees to provide all of his spellcasting for free to the group for life (with the exception of expensive material components, which the groups must still supply.)

I've already awarded the XP for this (don't forget to check the XP thread and level up)
You can talk with Jhod into the night, fill him in on all the details (he wants to hear it all) and then wrap things up and head to bed, just let me know when you are good to FF to morning.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Cal lets Jhod talk his ear off for a little while longer while the explorers enjoy a cold, but tasty, dinner. And he gives what details he can recall of the temple and the statue, eventually bringing out his carefully-prepared map to show the priest of Erastil exactly where they both can be found. But fairly soon he's yawning as much as talking, the late hour and the long journey back to Oleg's wearing on him. At that point he begs off until morning and turns in to bed.
I'm okay with FF to morning.

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Arenhal says little, something everyone is getting used to. He answers question, reminding Cal of the Nixie induced race, but the man's quiet personality reasserts itself before long. He does mention a return trip to the kobolds, if only to offload the trade goods they bought.
I'm good for the evening
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:40 am

After having enjoyed a hearty meal told a few slightly exaggerated tales and learning a bit more about the Elk father's faith Lem Bearslayer notices that the toils and travails of the last weeks are beginning to take their toll on him and he decides bed is a good place to be for tired and just slightly drunk halflings.
Big Pimpin...