Book 1: Act 3 - Second Explore of the Greenbelt

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Sarenith 23, Oleg's Trade Post, Late Evening

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:47 pm

** Sarenith 22 **

When the morning comes something has changed with Arenhal. At first you can't put your finger on it, but then your nose wakes up as well. That wretched skunk smell has finally vanished. Perhaps it is a blessing from the temple, perhaps it finally just faded away, or perhaps Arenhal finally took a good enough bath. Whatever the reason you are all glad for the results.

Feeling rested and refreshed you plot your path for the next two days back to Oleg's. Wasting no time you pack camp, mount up, and ride off. You've started to get to know the land, but there are still many miles of unexplored forest or tiny dells and hidden areas in the great Narlmarches. For hours you ride through woods that don't look that familiar but then you near the old bandit camp at the ford and things become almost home like for you. You cross the river without problems and press on as late as you feel safe. Camp is made and the night passes and you wake to a light rain. Now getting back to Oleg's seems all the more important, if just to get out of the rain.

** Sarenith 23 **

You travel through more forest and then out onto the plains and grasslands of the Greenbelt south of Oleg's. Picking up time on the grasslands your horses press forward and you can already taste Svetlana's cooking and feel the soft beds under you. An option to swing east to visit Bokken is brought up, but another night in the wild seems a poor idea now, and you'll ride out to the hermit on your way out once more.

It is that on the evening of Sarenth the 23rd that you spy Oleg's Trade Post up ahead in the fading light. Smoke trails from the chimney and the gate stands open welcoming you inside. Your horses clip-clop into the common yard, the tents of Kesten and his men still camped out near the stables. Only a few torches burn near the flophouse and Oleg's main house. The place appears sleepy, and so you ride into the stables and take care of your own horses. By the time you've unsaddled them and start across the yard that's when Oleg appears, barechested, a worried look on his face, an axe in his hand. Then he sees its you and he smiles, "Damn it! You scared me half to death!" He gives you all friendly handshakes and greetings and welcomes you home.
Please check the OOC thread about XP and leveling up to 4th!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Sarenith 23, Oleg's Trade Post, Late Evening

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:16 pm

"Sorry, Oleg," Cal says, stepping forward. "I guess tuskgutter and the tatzelwyrm heads can look pretty strange from afar. But one of those wyrm heads will look much better over your mantle." He smiles and gives the man a handshake. "Yup, we found one for you!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Oleg waves, "An don't worry about it... you.. you what?" He hurries forward and takes hold of the Tatzlwyrm head, "Well save my ass and call me a gnome, you did find one!" He turns the head over and over in his hands, "In good shape too, a week or so old on the kill? Still plenty fresh for me to stuff and mount on the wall! Oooh wait till Svetlana get's a load of this!" He is more giddy than you've ever seen him. "In the morning I'll get you a nice reward for this!"
Quest completed! I pre awarded the XP. I'll add the reward money 600gp to the loot sheet now as well.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 pm

"Tell you what, if you're that good at taxidermy, any chance we could take part of that reward in services?" Cal jerks his head to indicate the other tatzlwyrm head they have. "I'd love to have one to hang over my own mantle -- once I get a mantle, that is."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:46 am

Oleg claps, "TWO!" He lets out a long laughing howl! "Damn you fellas are good hunters!" He takes a look at the second head, "A bit damage around the neck, not a clean cut, but I can certainly work that one as well. Tell you what. When you go telling people how you killed these beasties, you include me in that story and I'll do that one for free for you. Something heroic you know, talk up my bow skill, and we'll call that payment enough for stuffing that one."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:55 am

"Oleg Wyrmslayer, it is!" Cal says with a laugh. "I remember it as if it were yesterday. The tatzlwyrms surprised us at the river, but Oleg was there with his bow, beating on one of the wyrms with the bow until it fled, then peppering it with arrows as it ran away. The poor beast never stood a chance!" He smiles and adds, "I'll put in some details later. But it'll be an epic story of danger, adventure, and the good guys winning in the end."
Cal is taking Perform: Oratory, this level, so it ought to come out sounding pretty good: 17 with a take 10.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:58 am

Oleg clasps Calanthir on the shoulder, "Wonderful, wonderful, you'll have to tell me the whole tale tomorrow after dinner. Now then, why don't you folks head into the bunkhouse, still room there for you and I'll bring you some cold chicken and buttermilk left over from dinner. We can talk more in the morning."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:05 am

"Sounds like a good plan," Cal replies. "We have much to report. But tell me, is Jhod around? We have some news that will be worth waking him for if he's gone to bed already."
I don't imagine that Valan will wait until morning to tell Jhod that we found the temple.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:11 am

Oleg thumbs at the bunkhouse, "He's sleeping in there I think. We rolled an extra cot in so he had a proper right place to stay. Couldn't have a man of the cloth sleeping in the stable any more."

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Arenhal grumbles, "Hunters? No, lucky, that all." It's quite clear he did not enjoy this latest trip. "But we're all back, and glad for it."
"I will always return."
-Shinjo