Book 1: Act 4 - Against the Stag Lord

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Erastus 10th: Nettle's Crossing

Post by mackaber » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Lem nods to Calanthir. He is always keen to return to Oleg's merely for the sake of enjoying Svetlana's fine cooking.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Erastus 21th: Stolen Lands

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:46 pm

With the bridge keeper at peace, you turn around and make for home. Home, its strange that Oleg's Trade Post feels like home to you now. The return trip takes about the same time as the trip to the bridge, but without a rotting corpse to haul with you it is so much nicer. You don't rush, taking time to enjoy the wilds and to explore a few minor dells and hills as you pass through them. A few days later you return to Oleg's.

On your return you spend time sort out the goods and treasures you'd collected along your travels. You find that Auch is already been causing a bit of trouble, the big lout doesn't have any manners, and if it wasn't for Akiros keeping him in line he likely would have already had a scrap with Colban and Oleg both.

You decide its best to simply stay put at Oleg's until word returns with Kesten, a trip to Bokken or to find Jhod takes place, but nothing further out afield that that. The Temple to Erastil is cleaning up nicely but it will take some serious man power and time to turn the ruins into a functioning temple once again.

Erastus 21st, Oleg's Trade Post
Finally two week after arriving at Oleg's with the body of the Stag Lord Kesten Garess arrives with his men. He makes his way right to your group as you are helping Oleg repair the small rooms under the towers in the corner of the fort.

Kesten strides up to you with a smile, "Hail friends, I bring rewards and even better news!" He first deals with the simply things, and your masterwork weapons are delivered into your hands. He also produces several heavy bag loaded with coins, "5000 gold bits to be precise", he says as he hands them over glad to be rid of the responsibility of them. "Yet I think the most important is this.

He hands you a scroll tube, which Calanthir opens and read aloud to the group...

Be it so known that the bearers of this charter, having delivered the northern reaches of the Greenbelt from the scourge of banditry, having provided detailed maps of the lay of the land, and having done no small amount of work in the exploration of said land and the culling of hostile monsters and indigenous hazards, are hereby granted the right to rule. The nature and laws of rule are theirs to define, and the wellbeing of this new nation is theirs to protect. In accordance for providing a stable nation to the south of central Rostland, let there be a generous stipend of funds, support, and advice provided to this fledgling nation as a token of Restov and Brevoy's goodwill, such that future relations between kingdoms might be mutually beneficial. So witnessed under the watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov and by the authority granted by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of the Dragonscale Throne on this the 14th day the month of Erastus.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Re: Erastus 21th: Stolen Lands

Post by Chanur » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:03 am

Valen helps with the repairs of the rooms while he is not a carpenter he is fairly handy having grown up with no money to speak of. The priest stands up and wipes the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand. He smiles hard work is Erastil's work and he feels a sense of accomplishment from its deeds. He is wearing his plain clothes with his holy symbol but no armor or weapons. He is starting to feel comfortable enough in the Elk Fathers protection not to feel the need to be armed at all times. Valen is armed and armored in his faith.

Reaching down he scratches Honey behind her ears as she naps near his feet. He has grown as fond of her as he has Harvest. Then he hears Kesten arrive and smiles at their messenger. Valen shouts "Well met Kesten, The Elk Father smiles on you it seems." The priest strides over to greet him and his group and listens to Cal read the scroll. When he finishes he sucks in his breath. "Rulers, a kingdom of our own...I ...I don't know what to say. From an out cast to accepted to ruling a kingdom. Truly The Elk Father loves us."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:22 am

As the the scroll is being read out aloud Lem cannot hide his agitation, the otherwise calm and collected Woodsman (for a halfling that is) bounces around his companions squeeling of joy.
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Cal shares the surprise of his companions. "A kingdom...," he says. And for once he's at a loss for words. But after a moment he collects himself. "We couldn't ask for a finer land to rule," he says at last, "or a better group of people to rule it with."

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:34 am

Arenhal sets down the lumber he was moving, stripped to the waist, he has been hauling and lifting most of the day. "Does that mean I have to buy one of those hats with the wide brim that the Surtova children made so popular four or five years ago?" he almost glares at Cal, "because there is no way I'm turning into one of them."
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:13 am

"Ah, you forget," Cal replies. "It's the rulers that set fashion. You can wear whatever you want; it's everybody else who will try and imitate you." The sorcerer breaks out into a grin.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:59 am

Valen laughs heartily. "I look forward to wearing the craziest stuff I can find then. It seems we have much to think about." Honey walks into the middle of the group and plops down on Valen's feet. Honey Badger don't care.

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Arenhal shakes his head, clearly believing his companions do not understand. "Thank you, Kresten, we'll make sure to invite you when we put these to use." He takes his spear and tests its weight, clumsily though, the servants were never allowed such things at home.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The End

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 pm

Kesten nods, "If I were you, I'd head back to Rostov, to sort out things. They didn't tell me much, just wanted me to deliver this." He looks at his men, "Alright men, back to work."

From here the group turns their attention to the new Charter and the events surrounding it to putting it to use. That story is for another time, and another place. Here ends Book 1 of the Kingmaker Campaign.
Now is as good a time as any to end this. We'll start up the next chapter some months later as the group is knee deep in building their first city!

Erastus 21th: Stolen Lands
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring