Book 1: Act 4 - Against the Stag Lord

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 1: Act 4 - Against the Stag Lord

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 08, 2012 10:32 pm

Image South of Rostland, the hills rise and forests bloom into a land that has long
remained wild, despite numerous attempts by colonists from both north and
south to claim and civilize it. Taldor made the most ambitious attempt to settle
this realm, but even that great nation failed to tame the wilderness that lies in a green
swath between Brevoy and the River Kindoms proper. This region is known as the
Stolen Lands, as the wilds are viewd as territory unfairly claimed (and lost) by the
other. It has lain fallow for decades since the previous attempt at colonization, and
some whisper that the time is ripe for another attempt.
Yet before the Stolen Lands can be claimed, they must be known. Old ruins, monuments
to previous failures, dot the landscape, home now to all manner of savage humanoid tribe
and ravenous glowering monstrosity. Bandits and barbarians are the closest thing to
civilization an explorer can expect to encounter in these deadly but beautiful wilds.
—from Taldan historian Gustav Devarr's “Kingdoms of the Lost”
Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt. Exploration should be limited to an area no further than thirty-six miles east and west and sixty miles south of Oleg's Trading Post. The carrier of this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior to be encountered. The punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by swod or rope.

So witnessed on this 24th day of Gozran, under watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov and authority graned by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of the Dragonscale Throne.

Sarenith 25th, Late Spring, A Bright and Early Morning, Oleg's Trade Post, Northern Greenbelt

The charter members of the group have now been out into the Greenbelt for two long explores. Nearly all of the Greenbelt, including pieces of the Narlmarches and the Kamelands, has been explored in the region immediately south of Oleg's Trade Post. The area explored, under the charter from the Sword Lords, stretches nearly 60 miles south into the wilds, and encompasses an swatch over 80 miles wide. Forest and hills, plains and rivers, ruins and monster lairs all are bound within the Greenbelt. Yet one problem persists that plagues all those who call the area home -- The Stag Lord.

Rumors say he is a monster of a man, who wears a great stag helm, some say he is no man at all but an evil fey half beast-half humanoid. His bandits have terrorized the region, including Oleg's for months on end. However his numbers have grown smaller thank to our heroes. Kressel, one his lieutenants is dead, and a dozen or more bandits have met the same fate. The time is at hand to press once more, a third time, into the Greenbelt, but instead of exploring the wilds, its time to free them from the Stag Lord's grip.

We find our four heroes enjoying a fine meal at Svetlana's table inside Oleg's home. Seated with them are the local folks of import, Oleg Leveton himself of course, Jhod Kavken the Priest of Erastil, and Kesten Garess a noble soldier from Brevoy and acting guard for the Trade Post.

Svetlana has just cleared away the plates, leaving warm mugs of honey mead, and a few scraps of ham and eggs behind for those still eating. The plan has been talked about over the meal several times, but Kesten asks once more. "So let me get this right? You are taking Jhod to this ruined temple you found south of here and then leaving him alone in the woods while you head further south to assault the Stag Lord's stronghold? You are brave men, there is no doubt to that."
Welcome to the final act of the chapter and the AP. The plan should be to attack the Stag Lord at home. You've completed nearly every side quest, and explored nearly every hex available (you can pick one more up on your way south).

Let us not tarry too long!

You are in Room A7 in the map below, everyone is present.
Image Image
ImageImage
Last edited by Vardaen on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Act 1 - Against the Stag Lord

Post by Trogdor » Tue May 08, 2012 10:35 pm

"It looks like we have no choice," Cal replies. "Not if we want to clear the Greenbelt for good, honest folk to live in it."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed May 09, 2012 11:23 am

"Indeed." Lem manages between bites. Afterall herous Halflings are the hungriest of all. "You can look after yourself in the woods Jhod can't you?"
Big Pimpin...

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Wed May 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Arenhal nods, "But we have to remember his sorcerous backup that was mentioned." The half elf looks around at his companions, "And it would be good to scout the area immediately around his hill fort, if only to reduce his patrols."
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 09, 2012 5:02 pm

Jhod nods back to Lem, "Erastil protects his faithful Lem. I will be fine within the shrine now."

Kesten shakes his head, "I'm not so sure, I'd feel better sending a man or two until we know the Stag Lord is dead, just to be safe. No one objects to that do that?" He sips his mead with a smile, it just tastes too good not to.

Svetlana looks worried at all the talk, but Oleg takes her hand and squeezes, "Don't worry my love, these folks know what they are doing."

Just then there is a knock on the door, and in comes Colban. The bandit turned servant has become a well trusted man in the trade post. Oleg stands up, "Colban! Back already? I figured you'd be gone another few days at least."

Colban looks tired, he's ridden hard and it shows. "I..." he's actually panting still, "...was ordered to deliver this, sorry Mr. Leveton, I wasn't able to finish what you sent me for. I'll go back, but..." he hands over a folded and sealed Envelop with the seal of the Lord Mayor of Rostov on it. "...this had to be returned here right away." The envelop sits on the table, on the front is scrolled, "To Calanthir Ardensen, Tusker Slough, Lem Lilywag, and the Barbarian Kullok, or those who now bare the Charter of Exploration of the Greenbelt."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Phlale
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Phlale » Wed May 09, 2012 7:49 pm

"Your former employer, Colban?" Arenhal's voice is flat. Entirely devoid of emotion, and clearly forced so, given the conversation the former bandit walked in on.
"I will always return."
-Shinjo

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Cal reaches over and picks up the letter. "Thank you Colban," he says with a smile to the former bandit. "Your haste was not in vain. Had you come in after tomorrow morning, we'd have been gone again." Then he breaks the seal and examines the letter inside.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Colban looks at Arenhal, "I was in Rostov, Oleg sent me there. I guess I talked too much someone realized I was from here and made sure I got this letter and brought it back to you right away. I'm glad I didn't miss you. I road my horse hard to get back right away."

Cal takes the letter and breaks the seal of the Lord Mayor and begins to read...
It is an addendum to your current charter from the Sword Lords and the Lord Mayor. According to the letter the Stag Lord is now wanted dead or alive to make the Greenbelt safe for colonization and to put an end to the banditry of the region. Your exploits have not gone unheralded. Word of the Stag Lords's defeat must be sent to Restov, if his body is not available as proof, an agent of the swordlords shall arrive in the area shortly after being alerted to confirm the banditry has been addressed. There is mention of a hefty some of 5000 gold pieces as a reward and a new charter to be discussed there after.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Thu May 10, 2012 6:08 am

Valen enjoys his breakfast and is drinking some of the fine honey mead when the mention of Jhod's safety is mentioned. Ever since their talk last night Valen is at peace with things. "The Elk Father protect us all." he murmurs in response. Leaning back slightly in his chair taking another long draught from his mead when Colban comes in. Seeing Colban's tired state he stands and quickly offers "If you permit I might be able to help." If he accepts he places his hand on Colban's arm and murmurs a quick prayer to Erastil trying to soothe the mans fatigue. Having done what he could he sits down and listens to the reading of the letter.

Placing his fingers on his holy symbol holding his cloak on him he absently rubs it. "It seems the Stag Lord has become our priority again. We should go over what we know about The Stag Lord, what do we know about his base?"
Calming touch on Colban, hopefully it helps.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu May 10, 2012 7:33 am

"Well," says Cal, leaning back in his chair, "we've been told that he's based in some kind of fort and has an owlbear as a guard animal. And we have this." He draws a folded up piece of paper from his adventurer's sash. "The last bunch of bandits we caught gave us a rough map of hte Stag Lord's fort." He unfolds it and lays it flat on a clear space on the table.
"I know this represents a difficult time in your life, Colban. But can you add anything to this map? And Jhod, can you give us any information on owlbears? I have a book that might help too." He draws a book from his satchel and starts looking through it for an entry on owlbears.
I have a book I just got on the flora and fauna of the area good for +2 on K:nature checks. Take 10 (or 20 if I can) on a check.