Book 2: Act 2 - What Lies Beyond

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 2: Act 2 - What Lies Beyond

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Image What drowned nightmare we found ourselves unable to awake from I cannot say, for the world I once trusted had betrayed us in every fundamental way. Dry earth seemed a distant dream, and sky and stars but fading memories. Everywhere clawing branches and hidden roots cursed our steps, while trailing vines and moss smothered us. Never had I so execrated the gods of life, for here their work piled upon itself in such slithering, crawling, squirming fecundity as to make every birth a blasphemous curse. And ever just beyond our sight, seen only in glimpses and ghost light, were the masters of that fetid green Hell, those who long ago forsook skin for scales and whose voices were the smothered cries of all who had ever died gasping in the muck.

—From The Record of Truan Iolava

Arodus 27th, 4709, Late Summer

It has been nearly a year since Stagfall was founded. In that time you have laid claim to some 132 square miles of pristine forest, hills and plains. These rich lands have given up their bounty in the form of gold, farms, cattle, friendly indigeious people like the Scootscale Kobolds or the Tuskwater Lizardfolk. Stagfall has grown into a fine town, with herbalist shops, the Boar and Boggard Tavern & Inn, and a dozen other smaller places. Svtelana Leveton estimates Stagfall's population around 2,500 people. The expanding barony of Caledonia didn't stop there, a second, new hamlet of Leveton has been founded at Oleg's Trade Post, and already the small frontier village is home to over 700 permanent residents.

You have foiled assassination attempts and stopped sensational crimes, all while building roads and farms throughout all your growing kingdom. The barony has a life of its own now, people come and go, work and play, all without your direct intervention. When this all first started Cal knew the names of just about every colonist, now its impossible to do that. Lem's Green Marshals have kept a watchful peace on the boarders, the occasional ruffian, or wild beast is all they can boast about dealing with. Valen and Jhod have brought the Temple of Erastil into the fold and faith and community flourishes. Erastil, Old Deadeye has become the national Patron God, but other faiths are not suppressed, and all people who pay worship to good deities are free to practice within Caledonia.

Oleg Leveton has been working hard to keep the economy of the nation going, and has done a great job in a difficult situation. The royal treasury isn't overflowing, but its stable, and unless you over do it things continue to work out. He has finally started to whisper the dreaded work "Taxes" into your ear at the council meetings, but so far you've avoided that conversation.

Akrios Ismort, your chief diplomat has been busy. Mostly he's kept the influences of Brevoy and Rostov at bay. In the opening few months of the project he managed to keep those that backed this adventure in the background, and quickly any conversation with the nation to the north turned from patron to peer, and if the men in Rostov had hopped to leverage anything against you they long have lost that chance and Akrios severed those ties with them.

Kesten Garess, your General, has a tiny army, its mostly militia men ready at a minutes notice. These men, craftsmen, farmers, locals, aren't professionals, but they drill one weekend a month, and one week during the winter months to learn their trade. No one hardly notices them, and you've never had cause to call on them.

That's unlike Colban's Wardens. His Wardens are the local constables, rarely venturing outside Stagfall and not Leveton. This local police force has helped to stop the assassination attempt, on their very leader Colban. They keep the peace, and make sure kids aren't causing trouble. The town is stable, unrest if nearly nonresistant, and everyone feels good to see a fellow neighbor on the patrol late at night through Stagfall.

In the shadows Arenhal continues to work, his 'leaving' of Caledonia greatly exaggerated, it worked out perfectly for him. Working at the Shadow Marshal he's able to put and end to crime and criminals in a more covert and subtle manner. He answers only the Baron, and so far has been a stabilizing influence on the region. No one is ever sure where he might strike next, and he likes it that way.

With the barony in good hands, the itch has you. Lem and Valen both want to get out there and see things, Aetoron hasn't had much chance to see more of the world as the newest member of the High Council his job as Spy Master always kept him looking inward. It's time again to travel into the Greenbelt and expand your knowledge of the regions. Rumors of danger and riches abound. You've even found some wanted posters placed about town by locals or your own government.

Its been over a year since you first arrived at Oleg's Trade Post, and its time once more to venture out, to adventure!

Welcome to Book 2- Act 2! This act will be a mix of Kingdom Building and Classic Exploration Adventure like in Book 1. The goal of the PCs should be to explore more lands, discover what is out there, while still spending a week each month back at home to rule the kingdom. We will continue with monthly kingdom turns as well. We begin here at the very end of Turn 12.

Refresh yourself with the exploration rules.

Everyone should be 5th level, leveled up from a years worth of Kingdom Building.

Calanthir, Aetoron, Lem and Valen are our player characters.

Check the Quest OOC thread, I'll be putting up some Wanted Posters found about town.
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Book 2: Act 2 - What Lies Beyond

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:36 am

With the high council having just finished a discussion about the second annual Founder's Day celebration, the baron gets everyone's attention. "We've done exceptionally well in just a year," he says to everyone. "But I'm concerned that we still know very little about what's to our south, We need more information that we're getting from the handful of trappers that we talk to." He looks around the table. "I'd like to arrange a surveying expedition to explore the area to the west and south of Stagfall." He shakes his head. "Oh, nothing extreme, no more than a couple of weeks, three at the tops. I think the information we could gather with such an expedition would be invaluable to us."

"Of course, Lem would have to go. He's ideally suited for the job. And Valen, if you think you can be spared. I'd even like for Aeteron to get a chance to see the other half of the barony. He's spent too much of the last couple of months in Stagfall."

"And I was hoping," he adds hopefully, "that you might be able to do without me for a couple of weeks as well. Not that I don't like all the meetings and paperwork that goes with being baron. But a little time out in the wilds would do wonders for my disposition." Cal smiles. "Do you think someone else could make the speeches for a little while?"

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:07 am

"I already have everything packed Baron!"
Big Pimpin...

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Aetoron nods at the Baron in regards to his participation in the upcoming surveying excavation.

He leans over to Lem, "I've noticed nearly a half dozen wanted posters around town...may as well take note of them and see if we can do anything about them during the three weeks."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:36 pm

"Yes I heard there is word of a dragon roaming the lands south. Lem the Dragonslayer... now that would be something!"
Big Pimpin...

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:48 pm

"Yes, Lem the Dragon-slayer would be something..."

With a smile he turns to Lem, "Now I assume you checked that bow string?"
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:02 pm

Jhod and Oleg are the senior members at this council today, and Oleg looks at the preist. "He'll have to handle the speaches, I'm heading to my Trade Post...er to Leveton in the morning to deal with some carvan troubles we've been having. Nothing serious, seems the oxen that are being used are extra slow..." He shrugs.

Jhod nods, "I can handle things, and the Shadow Marshal is still around I'm sure. We will survive with out you four for a few weeks. Stock up and take Erastil's Blessing."

Svetlana laughs,"Boys will be boys. See you in a few weeks."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:55 pm

"The bow string..." Lem replies with a sour mine "I burned it..."
Actually that's not the first time that's happend to Lem...
Big Pimpin...

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:07 am

Valen nods at the Barons words. "It shames me to say so but my feet long for the road." Valen blushes slightly as he gives Jhod a quick glance before turning away. "We need to explore and possibly expand our influence. A Caledonia that is growing is one that is healthy. Besides the road is always a chance to bring the Elk Fathers word to folks. We have a strong safe and friendly community here. I feel we need to spread the word."

Taking a breath the young leader of Erastil's faith in Caldonia smiles at the rest of the group assembled. "Besides I can think of no finer folks to leave the barony in the hands of!"
I think we should stay here for a week then we dont have to come back for up to 6 weeks!

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:43 am

The way I understood it we're not allowed to stay away longer than 3 weeks. Or is it just 1 week per month that we must be at home?
Big Pimpin...