Book 2: Act 3 - Into the Wild

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Calistril 29, Winter

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:11 pm

Ylyndar nods. "I will send a pair of scouts to investigate. We will get a better idea of what we are walking into if the Troll rumors happen to be true."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Calistril 29, Winter - Old Beldame the Swamp Witch

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:03 pm

The Marshal sends two scouts south to try and find out about the troll, they have orders to not engage, just to gather information. They don't seem bothered by the orders to avoid fighting trolls. Needing to get out of town, and to do a little info gathering yourselves, and to drop off some mushrooms you decide to head south to the 'witch'

A boat is made ready and you sale for part of the day down the lake shore until you reach Old Beldame's place. Pulling the boat on shore and heading up to her gate you call out to her, wary of the scarecrow she has out front. The old woman, that the locals call a witch, calls from her window, "I wondered if you were ever going to return! Come on in out of the cold." You head through the gate and into her hut which is warm and smells of lavender. The old woman is strange to look at and for those just meeting her she gives them a stare, "Get your looks in now, I won't tolerate it next time." Offering sets on a rough hewn bench she pours you all some tea, "So... to what do I owe this visit from the Baron and his men?"

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:47 pm

"We have the mushrooms that you asked us to look for," Cal replies politely."It ended up being quite an adventure to get them, though. Did you know there was such a thing as a giant mushroom monster? Turns out there is, and it lived right where your mushrooms grew." He laughs at the memory, showing he bears no ill will for being sent there. "I've never seen anything like it in all my life."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:07 pm

"A giant mushroom monster? A Tendriculos? Really?" She reaches out to take the rattlecap mushrooms. "I had heard rumors of them, but never saw one myself. That's rather a rare creature, did you happen to bring me any of it's body?" When you say no she looks disappointed. "Well in the future if you find any strange monster parts, I might be able to use them as reagents, I'll pay you for them." She then hold true to her word on the mushrooms and pays you for them, 100 gold for each one, a tidy sum of 1600gp all total.
Quest: Black Rattlecaps - Complete!
The PCs are tasked with gathering a batch of black rattlecap mushrooms from a dangerous mud pit.

Source: The Old Beldame, area H4
Task: The Old Beldame uses the spore pods inside of black rattlecap mushrooms to brew a potent tea, but the mushrooms are very rare. She sends the PCs to the Mud Bowl (area I5) to gather as many of the mushrooms as they can for her.

Completion: The Old Beldame wants as many as the PCs can bring her.

Reward: The Old Beldame promises a payment of 100 gp for every black rattlecap the PCs can bring her.

Collected: The group had collected 16 mushrooms and delivered them for 1600gp and 400 XP
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:02 pm

"We'll keep that in mind in the future," Cal replies. "We've run into some very strange creatures over the past two years. I imagine we'll run into more in the coming years."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:18 pm

"Good. Now then, " she stands up and points at a pot bubbling on the fire, "Baron stir that." She points at Ylyandr, "You come here and help me chop these up." Then she walks past Aetoron and runs a find over his shoulder and up to his ear with a rather wry smile on her ugly face. "You Handsome come help me get something from the root cellar." She moves to a trap door in the floor and feigns needing help opening it.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:37 pm

Ylyndar pauses and looks at the Baron to see what his reaction to the sudden work forced upon them is.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:17 pm

Cal shrugs and goes to stir the pot. "We're here," he says. "We might as well help for a bit before we head back."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:27 pm

Aetoron tries his best to conceal his distress as the rather unsightly woman runs her hand from his shoulder to his ear. The spymaster had found himself in some interesting situations in the past, but this would be one notch on his belt he won't be adding. A bit reluctantly, he opens the trap door in the floor and waits for her to descend first.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:02 pm

The witch takes Aetoron down into the cellar, and makes several more passes at the elf, each one less subtle than the last. Yet the Spymaster resists, and Old Beldame doesn't resort to magic, not yet, to get him in the sack -- at least not with others about.

After a bit they return with some heavy boxes that Aetoron is hauling up, and you help the old witch make some stew and whatever else she is brewing; from the look of it it could be magical elixirs or cleaning chemicals, you can't tell. After a while you take your leave and return to your boat and eventually back to Stagfall....
I'll work up Turn 19 now.