Book 2 - Act 5: Rivers Run Red

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Image Aim high, plan well, strike while the iron is hot. - Torag

Gazran 8th, 4709, Mid Spring

For the past fortnight or so you've been out exploring the southwestern reaches of the Greenbelt. Spurred on by the desperate pleas of a mother to find her lost son the company set out to look for him among the rumors of trolls, lizardfolk, dragons, hodags and other dangers. Along the way the company encountered a strange oracle by the name of Vanya, but fate would take that beacon of peace away before she could return home with you. Also lost in the wilds, battling with trolls, was Fang, the ever loyal warcat of Garuk.

The travels of the company weren't overly long, but a great many things happened along the way. The young boy Tig was found along a less than friendly group of lizardfolk. With some negotiation and a band of discontented lizardfolk, the group was able to save Tig and remove the tyrant of the lizardfolk from power putting in his place a more reasonable member of thee tribe who is open to trade and friendship.

A search for a lost spear, and to save some face and pride, took the company west to do battle with a mythical hodag creature. It was real enough, but the group was forced to put it down to make the area safe, and to save their own skin. Its head is now being stuffed to be mounted at the Boar and Boggard along with several other trophies the group has collected over the years.

A further push south brought the barony to an old dwarf ruin infested with troll and troll-kin. It was a difficult venture to clear it out, and that is where Vanya and Fang both fell. It was here too at Daladek was found, a prisoner and soon to be lunch for the trolls. The dwarven cleric of Torag proved his worth time and again and has been invited back to Stagfall to lend his aid to the fledling country.

A dozen things need to be completed, sorted out, and settled up before things get back to normal, but after a nice stay with Lem in Tatzlford, and simply being home now; the company is ready to roll up their sleeves and get back to work.
Remember all your open quests.

http://www.dicefellowship.org/viewtopic ... 50#p249850

What I'd like to do is someone pick a quest, then we will do a short scene resolving it. Skip forward, do the next one, then the next one till everything is resolved.

You also have stuff to sell/buy, so put your claims on the sheet, and use the loot thread I'll try and wrap that up ASAP so we can get coin in pockets.

You also have the supplies at the Troll Lair to collect, that will likely arrive next month for use in kingdom building.

Some Knighthoods to hand out. Possibly new leadership changes too
Welcome to the new chapter! Everyone is 7th level!

This will be mostly a kingdom building chapter until you decide to venture out again, there are still some very interesting locales to checkout, but plenty to do at home.

http://www.dicefellowship.org/viewtopic ... 42#p325842
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:09 pm

When Cal gets to his solar at the castle, he finds his assistant, a half-elf woman named Andris Eltheriel, waiting with a sealed letter.

"This arrived two days ago from Greengold," she explains, "with an elf nanmed Belton Tirnel carrying it. He said that 'Master Faldrin' had a message for you, and he was to wait for a response. As I recall, you said your old master was named Faldrin when you thought you were going to be a wizard. Given that, I figured the messenger was legitimate. I put him up in one of the guest rooms until returned."

With a word of thanks, Cal takes the letter and breaks the seal, reading it right there.
Calanthir,

I have heard of your ascension to the Barony of Caledonia with great joy. Even as I realized that you were not destined to learn the magics of your elven ancestor, I could see that you were meant for greater things. I look forward to watching the barony grow.

I would like to introduce you to the bearer of this letter, Belton Tirnel, a former apprentice of mine. After speaking with him, I believe that his interests and your needs coincide perfectly. He wishes to find somewhere to settle where he can make a solid future for himself, and you need all the help you can get. He is a solid wizard and an elf of excellent character, just the sort of person you'll need if you want to make Caledonia great.

I trust you to find a good use for his talents, and look forward to hearing of both of your future successes.

With all best wishes,
Faldrin Illuviar
"You're right," he says. "It's from my old master. And the elf who brought it wants to join up."

"So does that mean that I should find him permanent quarters?" the half-elf asks.

"It means more than that, Andris," Cal replies. "His arrival has helped solidify an idea that's been banging around my head for months now. We've gone too long with just a militia and a handful of castle guards. It's time we had more than that." The baron lowers the letter and looks right at Andris. "What this letter means is that it's time to create the Baron's Guard!"

"I want you, and Belton if he's willing, to start working on recruitment. You can promote a few from the castle guard. I know Cedric Crewe has promise, and wants more than just being a guard. And maybe Althalos Drake has what it takes. He's a bit gruff, but every bit competent. Hugh Gardyner just won the Stagfall archery contest. He might be a good man to tap as well. But I'm getting ahead of myself."

"We'll start small, maybe a couple of dozen people to begin with. The gods know where I'll dig up the money for this, but I'll manage. I want divine and arcane support as well as just soldiers. They'll be our elite unit. The Baron's Own. That should help with recruitment. You and Belton will be the first members."

Andris takes a deep breath and sighs. "It's a good idea, my lord," she replies. "But I can already feel a headache coming on from all the added work."

"I have every confidence in you," the baron replies. "And who knows. If you do a great job there may be a knighthood in it for you."
Just a color post to start off the Baron's Guard.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:16 pm

Later on in the day, Cal gathers anyone who wants to come along and goes to check out whether Tig arrived back safely. The poor boy suffered terribly out in the wild. And the baron wants to make sure that he's being properly taken care of now.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:38 pm

"Aye," ventures Daladek, who had been on a sojourn of sorts, communing with Torag these last few days and generally pondering his place in this world.

"I need to get out into this little kingdom and spread the word of Torag again." He added.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:05 pm

Ylyndar is on his way to the castle to meet up with Cal and be in a place that his scouts can easily find him. He walks at a casual pace, taking in the various citizens going about their business.

"Ylyndar Aldaveil. Well if it isn't the Green Marshal himself. Just the guy i've been looking for."

Ylyndar turns around to see an Elven man of average height and a rather flamboyant personality. "I am indeed the Green Marshal. What is it you needed me for?"

"I am Boum Shtik. I know, a rather odd name. These are my apprentices; Fred, Jed, Ted, Ned and Karol." Boum Shtik replies, pointing to the 5 Elven apprentices following him. "We, and by we I mean I, have noticed the recent uprising of the great city of Stagfall. In noticing, we noticed that your city could use the magical work of an Artisan such as myself." Boum Shtik bows rather elegantly than glares back at his 5 apprentices who swiftly do the same.

"What exactly is it you do.. Mr. Shtik."

"I am a craftsman of exceptional skill and wish to create masterpieces for you and your companions." Boum looks around for a moment. "Where is your companions anyhow?.. Never mind that, will you have me?"

Ylyndar runs a hand through his hair and thinks it over for a minute or so. Leaving a look of confusion on Boum Shtik's face. "I will make you a deal. I am sure someone in your line of work is used to deals." Boum Shtik simply nods but doesn't say anything. "I have had the idea of a unique sword i'd like to have crafted. If you can craft one for me, I would pay of course, and the quality is to my liking then I will work to set you up with a shop here in Stagfall where you may conduct business. Sound like a fair deal?"

Without hesitation Boum Shtik bows again. "It would be my pleasure. Please tell me more about this sword you wish to have crafted."

Ylyndar draws his Elven curve blade and holds it up in front of Boum, prompting an odd look of uneasiness from the craftsman. "I want another Elven curve blade. Not just any curve blade though. Have you heard of a material called Chthonic Steel?" Boum nods silently again, lost in the Marshal's words. "I need an Elven curve blade crafted out of Chthonic Steel. I want it to be incredibly sharp, and to stay sharp through heavy use. I also want it to be aerodynamic. I will be using the sword often and the less effort it takes to swing it the better." Ylyndar smiles. "Do you think you could do that for me? I would of course pay you and give you access to an area where you can craft it."

Boum Shtik pauses for a few seconds, taking in the specifications laid before him. "Very good. Very good indeed. Such a task is well within my ability to do. I can guarantee you will not want to use another blade after you use mine. I accept your terms."

"Good. Now I must run to a meeting. I will send someone to show you to a suitable work quarters." Ylyndar sheathes his blade and turns around. "I will be expecting only the best." He says before walking off toward the castle.
:D This is the first time I actually used the leadership feat in a game. Excited.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Aetoron makes his usual rounds upon returning to Stagfall. First he heads over to the Boar and Boggard to see Kiri, albeit brief as she still had several hours left in her shift. Weaving his way through the streets to meet up with Cal, he checks in with both Septimus at the graveyard and Aela at the tannery. They are his two most trusted eyes and ears but it was becoming clear he would need to recruit a few more as Stagfall continued to grow. Aetoron finds Cal who is on his way to check on Tig, "Baron! It is good to be home for a stay, is it not?"
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:52 pm

"When the other option is walking through a troll's toilet," Cal replies. "That's certainly the case. I'm going to check on Tig right now. Want to come along?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:07 pm

A Troll's Toilet -- Rejected Tavern Names in Stagfall
So much is happening on the return to Stagfall. Aetoron checks in with his contacts learning a bit of rumors that are spreading. Ylyndar touches base with his scouts to hear word from the country side. Then he encounter Boum and strikes a deal. The Baron, with a recent letter in hand, is starting the preparations for Baron's Guard. Pour Daladek has never been to Stagfall is a bit left out in the cold on arrival, but he finds himself a place to sleep and eat, and pray. Stagfall is very much dedicated to Erastil, with only lip service being paid to any of the other gods, but Torag, a god of toil, hardwork, and of building something from nothing, should fit right in.

Call it what you will be it, fate, karma, happenstance, (the game master), but you all converge together in the town square as some of the group is heading for Tig. Tig was the young man who wandered off and went missing. His parents blamed Old Beldame the Swamp Witch, but it wasn't her, no it was the lizardfolks who live on the shores of Candlemere of the southern waters that abducted him and were torturing him at the behest of a Will'o Wisp posing as a ancestor spirit.

The group finds their way to Tig's house, a simple thing up near Greenbottle's Herbalist shop (B2) on the north side of town. As the group nears they spot Tig's father working in the small front garden they have. He looks up and smiles, then looks up again in shock. "Baron! Marshal! Minister! Oh my!" He dusts his hands off, drops the shovel and bows a few times. "Welcome welcome!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:22 pm

"Please," Cal says, motioning for Tig's father to rise. "This is an informal visit, I assure you. We just wanted to make sure that Tig was alright. After what he went through, I was concerned about him. I hope the resilience of youth is pulling him through the stress of the situation okay."
It seems like we're doing something wrong if everyone knows that Aetoron is our Spymaster. How about Minister Without Portfolio? (At least to the world at large.)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:39 pm

Tig's father stops all his bowing, "Yes Baron, he's doing as well as one could expect. Cardinal Valen has come by and tended to him personally. His wounds are recovered, but I do worry about the mental trauma, but he's a tough kid." The man is holding back some tears and calls out to the house, "Tig! Tig boy! Come out here you have visitors!"

Tig comes out of the house slowly, and when he sees your little group his face lights up and he rushes forward and gives whoever is out front a big hug. "Oh its good to see you!"

His dad smiles, "I've told everyone what you've done for us. Everyone, we are loyal Caledonians for life. I don't have much and no way to properly thank you, but... well Thank You all so very much.
Moving this to complete!

Because of the word of this gets around you gain +2 Loyalty. I'll update the Kingdom Sheet

You also get 400 XP to split (not for Dal).