Book 2 - Act 6: Southern Narlmarches

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:44 pm

Image Even crude beasts and parasites take on monstrous shapes in the swampy rivers and boggy forests of the Greenbelt frontier— if “frontier” and “civilization” can truly be distinguished in such a crude land. In my first week in the Narlmarches I saw five of my porters consumed. But not by warg, or giant lizard, or titanic serpent—no, their deaths weren’t meant for such creatures of passable dignity. Those men lost their lives to fey. I can imagine few more pathetic deaths, yet daily this accursed land confounds me with whole dimensions of indignities no gentleman has ever sunk so low as to imagine. —Darvayne Gios Amprei, Pathfinder Journel

Kuthona 4, Early Winter

The cold winter wind blows your hair about as you pull your hats and hoods on tighter. Stagfall stands there glittering in the cold air, a proud thing rising up from the wilds, its civilization -- your civilization in this frontier lands and no one is going to take it from you. With cultists defeated, cathedral's built, and troubles now quieted you turn your attention to the south. Trolls, and Drakes, and Fey and haunted castles, they threaten your lands; so off you go to threaten them. You leave the Marshals and Army to deal with the troublesome Fey who have been plaguing pilgrims in the north, you have to take on larger dangers and you can't be everyplace at once.

So you march south along the Tuskwater on the road you're people have made for a day until your reach the Gudrin River. There on the shore you camp, able to fish a little, and enjoy your Duchy some before you head out into the deeper wilds. There is no good river crossing here, so the next day you venture up river to the bridge and the crossing, and find it unguarded and unattended as expected. From there you cut cross country over hills and rocky terrain. The land is wholesome, and you spy many animals in your travels: foxes, and woodchucks, even a small herd of Vicuña migrating through the hills to the east. The land is blanketed in light snow, it being winter now, but the snow fall isn't too deep and you are able to pick you way with your horses easily enough. A flock of late moving geese pass over head in a large V traveling south hurrying to get away from the north this late in the season.

You camp among blue spruce and eastern jack pine who remain ever green all year long providing you with shelter and wood. You close in now on the old ferry station on the gnome prospector's map on the Little Sellen River. The hills remain about the same, signs of a few damaged trees appear however as you ride past. Branches, high up, cracks and pulled down as if by some petulant child of great stature. Careful now, as you are into unexplored lands, you slow your horses and approach the river a few miles up from where you guess the ferry once stood. The Little Sellen River collects its tributaries into a mighty torrent flowing toward the lands downstream. You near the banks and gaze about the strong flowing, and icy cold waters, certain you don't want to try a crossing in the wild of this waterway. Right, to the west, and down stream someplace must be the ferry crossing you seek.

Kuthona 7, Early Winter

Welcome to the new chapter! Everyone is still 7th level.

This will be mostly a exploration chapter. We might even finish off the map if you guys don'e die :)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:05 pm

As the group is taking a brief respite along the banks of the Little Sellen River, Aetoron unrolls the map and scans the area. Scratching his head, literally, "If we are to use this map as gospel as it's all we have for now, the crossing should be downstream to the west." Rolling the map back up, he pulls the reigns of his mount but it seems Disgruntled has plans of his own. The horse edges ever so close to the water and fetches himself a drink. Aetoron looks at the others and simply shakes his head.

"I sure hope this bridge or ferry exists, otherwise we picked the wrong season to cross the river otherwise."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:08 am

"Don't fancy a dip in the river, Aetoron?" Garuk jokes. "Ah, this is the type of weather to sharpen oneself on, though I'll allow I wouldn't mind a fire, a full mug, and a sweet girl to keep me warm!" The half-orc reaches over to scratch the neck of his wolf companion, "Or at least a warm hide like Lady's, hah!"

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:46 am

Ylyndar follows up the rear, scanning the snow and surroundings for any signs of hostile creatures. The Marshal and Nightbreeze seem to get along a lot more then when they first met. Ylyndar barely knew how to ride a horse not too long ago, but being the Marshal requires quick trips to the surrounding lands of Stagfall to meet with scouts and patrols. "There is one and only redeeming quality of snow. It makes tracking a lot easier."
Ylyndar will just keep a routine lookout for any hostile tracks. To hopefully reduce the chance of running into something we don't plan on running into.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:40 pm

"I should hope that map is accurate," Cal replies with a smirk. "I made it myself based on our travels. Of course, the old ferry station is just a note from the gnome we met all those months ago. But what he's told us has been accurate thus far. I tend to trust what he had to say. But I agree, if we need to find some way over the river. We're not going swimming in this weather."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:20 pm

Disgruntled has quenched his thirst and will now listen to Aetoron's commands. With a stern kick of his heels, he quickens the pace. "Let's see if we can find this crossing before we have to set camp again."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Aetoron takes control of his horse again, or perhaps the horse simply moves on of its own accord. With the two maps the group moves down river for a few miles until the old ferry station comes into view. There up ahead you can see half-collapsed, rotting wooden buildings standing on each bank where the Shrike River branches off of the Little Sellen River. You've been at this long enough to guess these buildings have been used in the past as lairs for various creatures such as kobolds, mites, and even bandits, but as you near it appears they are currently unoccupied.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Aetoron slows his approach while asking the others, "let's be on our guard." As they near the half-collapsed structure on their side of the crossing, he looks about for the actual ferry itself.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:03 pm

"Yes," Cal agrees. "Let's be careful. And let's also hope that there's a boat left in the close shed so that we can cross the river."

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Ylyndar draws the bow from his back and keeps it in hand. "Hopefully nothing hostile has taken up garrison in that structure."