Book 3: Act 1 - The Stuff of Legends

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Anyone who assumes Iobaria is only a barbaric wasteland of frozen forests, broken mountains, and random ruins is a fool. The Ice Steppes, the Caemorin, the Syrzemyan Highlands, and the Hills of Nomen—all are home to mysteries, monsters, myths, and magics long forgotten among the warmer climes. The human realm of Iobaria was perhaps the least of the powers ever to stalk the glaciers’ edges, its name the only lingering claim to the land and powers that yet remain there. Look past the freezing mists and trackless wilderness, and you’ll find a land whose legends refuse to pass into the haze of history and forgetfulness. This is a place where myth and history blur into a single ageless tradition, weaving a legacy that the diverse native peoples hold as sacred as any religion, and that strangers to these realms ignore at their own peril. —Gadava Bhulada, Under the Undying Eye

Abadius 11th, Winter, 4710, Stagfall Caledonia

Time stop for no man, or elf, or half orc, or whatever race you might be. The slow march of progress continues, and in Caledonia it presses on. The aftermath of the Owlbear attack chief among the concerns of the High Council in Stagfall. With the regions south mapped, and the trolls and owlbear defeated the lands are safe once more. The strange Candlemere tower still stands in the middle of the lake, and rumors of trickster spirits on the road to Tatzleford persist, but things are generally safe in the Duchy.

Garuk bears a cursed ring that he must remove, and it dominates much of his time. Sveltalan is pregnant, and a replacement for her on the council must be found. Akrios has invited some disgraced or exiled noble to join you in Stagfall and rumors of tension in Brevoy between north and south are starting to reach your ears.

Winter sits heavy, travel is difficult, and work on repairs goes slowly.

Welcome to Book 3!

We are going to run a year or more of Kingdom Building through this thread, exploring things, expanding south and east! We'll get into some more traditional adventures as we go along. Perhaps exploring a hex or two to the east during kingdom building.
Remember all side quests and other ventures are located here:

http://www.dicefellowship.org/viewtopic ... 68#p352868
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 am

Ylyndar sits at the council meeting table and takes in everything being said. His ears perk up when Centaurs come up in conversation. "How likely are the Centaur to come through the mountains to our east? we might want to build a couple watchtowers out that way to keep an eye on any possibly invasions. Maybe, showing to the people that we are proactive in the defense of our lands would help soothe their feelings about recent events. Now I am not saying we have to get on it immediately, but I definitely think it is something worth looking into."
Ylyndar is essentially suggesting to build a watchtower or two in some of our most eastern hexes to keep an eye on anything that might try to come from that way. But we have plenty of time to get around to it.

He is also trying to get more information on the Centaur rumors, and how likely they are to move this way.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:44 pm

"I'm all for beefing up our defenses," Cal replies. The duke has been busy these past couple of weeks trying to keep an eye on the rebuilding projects all while getting his regular job done. "Watchtowers seem like a great idea. But I was thinking we might try and beef up security in Stagfall and Leveton by building a barracks or two. The militia is growing and we need somewhere to house the active members."

"I was also looking at this proposal from a group of scholars and wizards in Brevoy," he slides a piece of paper into the middle of the table for the others to see. "Apparently they've had a falling out with the local college there and want to move into town and set up shop here instead. They want us to provide them with a building, of course. Nothing comes free. But I think it's a great opportunity to improve Stagfall and bring a little education to the capital."

"Then there's the strike," He rubs one temples to soothe the rising headache. "I'm afraid Stefan has been stirring up the others at the town hall. We'll need to nip this one in the bud before it spreads. I've looked at their complaints and they're not entirely unreasonable. The duchy has grown more wealthy in the past year, and wages haven't followed. I think the best way to handle this is to increase the striker's wages to something commensurate with the wealth of the duchy and thereby pull Stefan's fangs. He can't say we're mistreating our workers if we agree to their proposed pay increase. Besides, the pay raise is much overdue."
Did I miss a source or rumors about centaurs? I didn't see that on the list of rumors.

Also, can you build a watchtower in a non-city hex? I didn't think that was possible under the rules. I thought it was all abstracted into our Defense bonus. Speaking of which, I'm for adding some buildings that increase Defense.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Not waiting on Eilandor any longer
"We need a new mayor is what we need, with all this talk of wages and work, I don't think they are doing much of anything down at city hall. A good mayor would get them back to work." Rosalee "Rosie" Hendricks, is the constable, a friendly woman, but she seems a bit fed up with things, and has been around lately. She's the one that reported the trouble, her offices are right there after all. "Look Calanthir, you need to do something and something soon about Stefan, you give me the go ahead and I'll lock him up for a bit. I don't know if that will make things worse or better." She leans back in her chair, but isn't' comfortable sitting, so then she gets up and paces around the room stopping to look at one of the trophies on the wall. "This ain't the sort of problem you can fix by using your swords.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Aetoron, quiet to this point, closes the book he is perusing. "Let us not forget, the man lost his entire family in the owlbear attack. If anything, he has brought something to our attention that has admittedly been long overlooked." He turns in his chair to see Rosie who is still pacing. "Cal has the right of it, increase the wages and let's see if his actions simmer down. In nearly the same sentence you suggested we lock him up as well as this not being a problem we can fix with our swords? The latter I agree with and I don't think the former is necessary yet."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:05 pm

"I have every sympathy for Stefan," Cal adds. "He's suffered a loss I shudder to even contemplate. But we can't let him commit sedition. If his actions cross the line from grieving to fomenting rebellion, we'll have to take action, as much as we might sympathize with our former mayor."

Then he glances over at the constable, whose suggestion is a valid one. "You volunteering for the job,Rosie?" he asks with a smile. A moment later he shakes his head. "In all seriousness, we should schedule a vote for mayor in the next few months. See if we can scare up a few people who might want the job and let the people of Stagfall decide who they want running the capital. We can start with the existing councilors. Caldus is a bit new on the job, and it might look wrong if Killian were to run, him being the representative of the crown. Father Alaric may be too busy with his religious duties to become mayor, That leaves Lily, Nala, and you, Rosie. Can you think of anyone else who might want the job who's suitable for it?"
See the Town Council for more info.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:42 pm

"Damn straight I would be a good mayor, but I haven't given it much thought." She continues to pace and nods and approves of the actions to raise wages, and to get someone in the office of mayor that will take actions. "Lilly and Nala are both good strong women, but they are too wrapped up in their business and did you hear that Lilly just got engaged to some fop from Magnimar? Apparently he was traveling through to Iobaria and ended up falling head over heals for Lilly. She says it's love at first sight. I'm not so sure, she's been out of sorts ever since." She paces a bit more and as Garuk is about to say something she shushes him. "There are too many damn men on this council, and in charge of things in general." She pulls her read hair back adjusting her pony tail. "You know what Cal, I'm in, put my name on the ballot." She stops pacing, hands on hips, looking out at the horizon like some hero that just slayed a dragon.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 pm

"Consider yourself registered," Cal says, making a note on a sheet of paper with a pencil to remind himself of the conversation. "Now I just need to find another person or two who wants to run. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll give it some thought tonight and see what I come up with."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:45 pm

For a few days the council works to find more people to run for the office of mayor. It turns out to be not too difficult, it seem there are plenty of folk that are willing, but the end of it you have 4 candidates. Rosie is the first of course, the next is a little known dwarf named Galwain Firebeard. He's a sturdy fellow, traditionalist, and a devout follower of Desna, he's a bit racist however, and has no time or energy for mixed breeds of any type (half orcs, half elves, halflings?).

You focus on getting Oleg to get the wages raised, and the people in the Town Hall are back to work and rather happy with you now. Some wonder why they got all riled up in the first place and didn't come to you about things more diplomatically. Some remember all that the former mayor had to say and remain disgruntled, but you can't please everyone all the time.

Weeks pass and the election for mayor is at hand, Rosie and Galwain are pitted against two others, and the final ballots are being cast, and the votes are starting to be collected.

Garuk has been busy with the cursed ring, and has received word that someone in Varnhold, to the east, might be able to help him. He's begun preparations to make the trip.
The two others are up to you, you can post who they are, anyone of you can make up people, etc. We'll have the vote, and keep the weeks rolling

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:32 pm

For the last week, Ylyndar has been in the process of increasing patrols within Caledonia to avoid another incident like the Olbear from happening. A few of his scouts come to him with the idea of adding a watchtower or two, to make their time spent patrolling more efficient.

He looks up when Mayor's are being decided on. He is interested, but doesn't have a name to throw in to the mix.