Book 3: Act 1 - The Stuff of Legends

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Lamashan 7 (Autumn): Varnhold Ford Rd 1-2

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:22 pm

Round 1 Arenhal 19, Chull 19, Nim 14, Dan 14, Arent & Luggage 13

Round 2 Arenhal 19, Chull 19, Nim 14, Dan 14, Arent & Luggage 13
Nimriel ducks down making herself small as she casts a powerful spell on the creature. She levels a terrible curse on it which drains it of its skills and quality that makes it such a dangerous foe. Over her head an arrow finds its mark as Arent fires off at the Chuul with his bow. The Luggage, more than half submereged in the water of the ford plods forward, but its slow and hard for it to move through so much water and it just now reaches its target.

Daniel is howling, "You over grown appetizer, I'll rip your eye stalks off and eat them with strained butter when I'm through with you!" The Chuul, even weakened, does not let go of "Mad Dog" Dan.

Arenhal...
Nim: CoD: 34 Success. Bestow Curse: Will Save 19: -4 to stuff!
Dan: Break Free: Grapple 14 Fail
Arent: Draw Bow, Shoot: 27 Hit for 5 Dmg
Luggage, Move (Dif Terrain), Move (Diff Terrain)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:40 pm

Drawing the rapier that hangs from his side, Arenhal moves in. "Let's end this quickly then," he says in a resigned tone.
Move NE, Draw Rapier, keep longbow in left hand
Attack +13 (1d6+4) flanking
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Arenhal moves, shouting to the others as he shifts bow to his off hand and draws his rapier. He stabs, its a hit, but, its a poke of a little sword in a giant lobster thing. It doesn't seem to really care too much until he drives the blade up to the basket hilt! Then it howls as Arenhal draws the blade out. The Chuul moves Dan from its claw into its face tentacles, the paralyzing venom on them forces Dan to go limp and paralyzed. It begins nibbling on him with its mandibles now too!

The company...
Combat Round 2
Arenhal: Move, Draw: Attack (Flank): 26 Hit for 8 + 11 Sneak
Chuul: Move Dan ot Tentacles (Paralyze: Fort Save 17 Fail) 13 Dmg
Move ARnehal NE 1
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:22 am

"No! Unhand him, beast!" Nimiriel shouts, as she prepares another spell.
Let's go with my old reliable Boneshaker. I'll try to cast defensively again. Then if I succeed, the baddie needs to make a DC 19 fortitude save or take 7d6 damage and I get to move it 5 feet (I would choose east). If it succeeds, the damage is halved.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Lamashan 7 (Autumn): Varnhold Ford Rd 2

Post by Vardaen » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Nimirel keeps out of reach as she attempts to shatter the crustacean's bones. Her spell goes off, but at the last moment she realizes that lobster things don't have skeletons, or bones, and while they have a hard shell like exoskeleton its not the same. The spell barely has any effect on it save to crack some of its shell and knock it back a few steps.

Dan is limp within its mandibles and tentacles as Arent acts...
Nim: Boneshaker CoD: 28 Success, so, Chuuls don't have bones or skeletons, they are crustaceans. It has an exoskeleton, but that's not really what the spell attacks. I'm going to rule it takes half, then can save for quarter damage cause of these factors: Fort Save 12 Fail: 23/4 = 12 Dmg Pushed Back 5ft East
Dan: Paralyzed

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:02 am

"This is bad! This is very bad!" Arent proclaims their doomed fate, or at least Dan's extreme issues. He keeps firing his arrows, while the Luggage goes to town.
So I'll just keep firing. Question - I know we're getting rid of the Auto-success on Grapple for the Mimic, so can we just give him the Improved Grapple Feat as a replacement? If so, it'd go for a Grapple. Mainly just hoping for it to stick to one of the claws to slow it down, or have the Chuul have the unpleasant surprise of trying to eat it.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:09 am

"Dan, get up!" Nimiriel commands, her voice filling with divine energy as she steps forward to touch her companion with a spell.
I may have screwed up by moving the creature. I'm Going to cast Freedom of Movement and hold the spell, step forward, and release it on Dan. It will cancel his paralysis and prevent him from being grappled further. I'll probably eat an AoO because I can't 5-step, but whatever. :P

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Lamashan 7 (Autumn): Varnhold Ford Rd 3

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Round 3 Arenhal 19, Chull 19, Nim 14, Dan 14, Arent & Luggage 13

So Nim's action is after the Chuuls this turn, I'll hold it in reserve till after that. yOu can edit later if you like.

Arent doesn't like this one bit. He fires and puts an arrow into the belly of the creature just under Dan's dangling legs. Its a good shot, but he's going to keep half dozen more of those to take the thing down he guesses. Hoping to not hit Dan with his shots he over compensates to avoid the man and fires wide. The Luggage leaps forward to bite on the Chuul's legs, but it can't get a grip on the algae covered shell.

Arenhal, even as Nim is preparing a spell...
Arent: Shoot 23 Hit for 8 Dmg, "1" Fumble (8) Fumble - Overcompensate: All tagets with cover gain an additional +4 bonus to AC against you for 3 rounds.
Luggage Imp Grapple: 16 Fail

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Re: Book 3: Act 1 - The Stuff of Legends

Post by Graven » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:14 pm

"This isn't a particularly good start to things, Councillor, maybe we should end it?" withdrawing his blade, Arenhal moves through the deeper water, hoping to flank the creature once more, before stabbing it in another exposed area.
Move E x3 (half speed, eat the AoO, AC 22 due to Mobility) I think that puts me in another flanking position, so stab it one more time
Still shaky on the PF rules, it's been a long time
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Book 3: Act 1 - The Stuff of Legends

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Round 3 Arenhal 19, Chuul 19, Nim 14, Dan 14, Arent & Luggage 13
Arenhal calls to try and end this, he slogs down stream and takes a clubbing of a massive claw on his head even as he nearly dodges only getting hit cause of the deep water. He's out of the ford now, and the water is up to his naval or higher. He takes advantage of the creature being distracted by him as he flanks and he slams his rapier into the elbow of the beast. The rapier pins the arm to the side of the creature! It is lodged so far through the arm that his blow stabs into the torso of the creature, he could just leave his sword there keeping its arm pinned to its side limiting its actions!

Even pinned like that the beast grabs the paralyzed Dan's legs in a hard grip, his head is now inside its mandibles and mouth and the two pull in different directions. RRRRRRIP!

Daniel the Mad Dog is violently and fatally ripped in twain! It is a vomit inducing scene! His head is swallowed by the Chuul, its legs are tossed into the water while the rest of his bloody torso lands with a splash in the river and is quickly washed down stream!

Oh the horror.

Nim and Arent...
Combat Round 3
Arenhal: Move: AoO: 23 Hit for 19 Dmg!, Attack (Flank): "19" (Crit: 30) Critical Hit for 12 + 16 SA + Pinned Amr: One arm cannot move (DC 20 STR or Heal)
Chuul: Mandibles: Rips Dan in Half
KM-VarnholdFord5.jpg
KM-VarnholdFord5.jpg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 286 times