Book 3: Act 1 - The Stuff of Legends

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Re: Book 3: Act 1 - The Stuff of Legends

Post by Graven » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:15 am

Arenhal takes the remains out of the way of the ford, then begins gathering stones from the river. "Does anyone know what words he'd want spoken?"
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 am

Arent shakes his head. "Never got to know him. I know a large selection of funeral hymns for various faiths, part of the standard bard training. So there's that at least." He tries to remember if he ever heard the man talk much about religion or the like.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Mad Dog Laid to Rest

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:13 pm

The group takes the time to tend to "Mad Dog" Daniel. He is buried in a shallow grave with a rock cairn over him a safe distance from the river under a pair of trees but close to where he fell. Arent shares several funeral hymns both as you work and at the end. During the search for a suitable location Nimiriel and Arent both notice something very very odd in the town square not far on the south side of the ford -- a covered pit trap. That's right, there is a crudely dug covered pit trap in the middle of the road! Luckly for the group you've found it before any of you have fallen in. Once finished with the funeral you sling Mad Dog's sword and haversack over your back. Its hours later when you are done and the sun is starting to sink. You break for something to eat and drink and consider your options now.

All along the river bank you can see a line of houses. They are small cottages and homes with gardens and the like which seem fairly typical for Varnhold. There is a large two story building nearby, several other shops and in the middle a greensward occupies the center of town. A few trees grow around an unoccupied pillory, and a well has been dug at the southern end.

Evening Hours
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:56 pm

Arent cleans off his hands in the river after they're done, shaking them dry. "I'm still up for more exploring, hopefully sans more pit-traps. Once we're ready to hole up for the night, I'm most interested in occupying that two-story house over yonder." He gestures towards the biggest building he can see nearby. "Can at least have an elevated position to have a look-out tonight."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 pm

"Fair enough," he drops his voice, "something's watching us," Arenhal draws his rapier, moving slowly toward the larger building on the Southeast corner. Ne scans the area for more traps, pits, trip wires, even unseen magic. Returning to a more normal tone of voice, he says, "I wonder why anyone made that pit trap, they're a lot of digging."
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:45 am

"I can feel it too," Nimiriel says quietly. Just as softly, she conjures a shadowy cloak about her shoulders, giving her the appearance of standing in shadow.
I'd like to activate my Cloak of Darkness power, giving me +6 to AC and +4 to Stealth (should already be figured into my sheet).

If I can, I'd like to claim Dan's longsword, at least for now. It's an upgrade over what I have. It's fine if I don't have access to it if there's a fight about to break out.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Varnhold: Center of Town

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:14 pm

Nimiriel cloaks herself in darkness as she collect's Dan's sword. The group moves with some purpose for the eventual coming night. Moving into the center of town you are near a greensward that occupies the center of town. A few trees grow around an unoccupied pillory, and a well has been dug at the southern end.

North of the Commons:
A two-story inn stands just off the village commons. A sign above the door depicts a rider clinging to the back of a madly galloping horse with a green mane and a fish’s tail extending from its hindquarters. The inn’s walls are painted a cheerful shade of yellow to complement the red shutters.

South of the Commons:
This modest cottage is neatly kept and has curtains hanging askew in its windows.

Upading sheet for the sword
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:37 am

Arent sticks to corners of buildings, not feeling what the others are. The bard can read a room or melt into court. This sort of cat-and-mouse here in the hinterlands isn't his area of expertise. He trusts the others, so does his best not to draw attention to himself.

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:04 pm

Those who watch Arenhal might notice his hand move to a ring on the other, just touching it, maybe a twist of the hand, then he catches himself and continues moving. He approaches the inn, checking the door and the area around it for further traps. "If this is clear, we can make camp up stairs, with fewer approaches and some walls to protects us.
Searching for traps (auto roll w/I 10'
No effect from touching the ring that anyone can see, it is definitely just a signet ring
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:31 pm

You head up to the large building and see the sign on the front swinging wildly in the breeze with a broken hook.
KM-Waterhorse.jpg
KM-Waterhorse.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 556 times
You then notice a single word scratched hastily into the wood of the door: "NOMEN"

You move with care, checking for traps and enemies, first on the porch then through the door into the common room. Its a tavern and inn, as expected. The first floor is dominated by a common room whose tables are still set with rotting plates of food, a kitchen, a bathing chamber and stores, along with a small wing for the proprietor and family. Up stairs you guess are the guest rooms.

Yet you don't have time to explore all of that yet for there is still a single patron the common room. A giant sized creature stands, silent and perfectly still, facing a paper strewn tabl ein the corner of the common room, one hand clutching a book. Even from here you can see the side of his head is shattered and is a mess of blood and bone, though his face betrays no notice of this moral wound. A shimmering nimbus of amber surrounds the creatures unmoving form.
Something like this:Image