Book 3: Act 1 - The Stuff of Legends

Enter the Stolen Lands, a wilderness claimed by nobles, bandits, and beasts alike. Into this territory the fractious country of Brevoy sends its emissaries, tasking them with subduing the lawless folk and deadly creatures that have made it a realm of savagery and shame. Beyond the last rugged frontier stretches the home of voracious monsters, capricious fey, wily natives, and bandits who bow to the rule of a merciless lord none dare defy. Can the our heroes survive the Stolen Lands, bring their dangers to heel, and lay the foundations of a new kingdom? Or will they just be one more fateful band, lost forever to the ravenous wilds?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by King Vardaen
Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Re: Book 3: Act 1 - The Stuff of Legends

Post by Graven » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm

A quick, nearly silent orcish curse escapes the assassin's throat. He steps to the side to give the others line of sight. In Common, "Councillor, do you now what's going on?"
it's a stretch, but would Dungeoneering (+7) apply here, V
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:51 pm

Arent speaks as softly as will carry, his education definitely filling him in on what this is. "Never seen one before, but that's definitely a Spriggan. Think of it as a distant cousin to gnomes, a portion of them that went mad and mutated after they left the First World. No joy and wonder for them, they went straight violence and malice. All the texts say they delight in suffering, and aren't really up for diplomacy. But, you know, books don't know everything."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 pm

Arenhal nods, switching over to his longbow, "See that head wound? I don't know anything that'd survive that," he continues to slip away to the right.
Hide, start studying the potential target
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:31 pm

"Avoid looking directly at the light over by the body," Nimiriel instructs. Tracing a symbol in the air, she gestures at the creature and casts a spell.
Dispel Magic on the amber nimbus whatsit please.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:55 pm

Nimiriel swirls her hands in a magical pattern bringing forth a dispelling power that causes the nimbus to fade and falter. The moment that happens the Spriggan collapses on the floor dead. It would seem the stasis it was in from the light was also the only thing 'keeping it alive'.

Arenhal has slipped off among the tables, bow in hand watching for trouble.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:07 pm

"What manner of magic is that?" The heavy longbow pointed at the collapsed corpse. He moves forward quietly, scanning the room.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:23 am

"A cleverly-laid trap," the half-elf answers. "It is only chance that saved us from falling into it. Be wary - I think there may be more of these creatures about."
Knowledge check on the spriggan? ^_^

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:05 am

The bard backs away, humming and moving his body in a formal fashion. His eyes stark twinkling, and he looks around anew at their surroundings. He very carefully moves in to the house, staying separated from the others so they don't all get caught by the same trap.
Detect Magic, and look around. :)
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:35 pm

The spriggan's body lays there now that the stasis field around it is gone. The group splits up a bit and searches the first floor of the inn, there are no more magical auras about the area.

Right there by the corpse, on the corner table, is a collection of books, they include several books with titles like Iobarian Prehistory, The Centaur Skyles of Central Casmaron, The Untold Heritage of the Taldan Armies of Exploration, and the Secrets of the Rashalka Mounds still clutched in the hands of the dead spriggan. Mixed in with the books is a large collection of notes and drawing that seem rather important, but will take some time to sort through (more time than a simple passing search can give).

Someone locates the Inn's till, a collection of coins barely reaching 40 gold worth if you wanted to loot it.

Upstairs remains unexplored.
I already PMed anyone with a good enough lore roll
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:02 pm

Arenhal ignores the coins in the till, leaving the books for those with more knowledge of such things. He stands at the bottom of the stairs, scanning them for trip wires and pressure plates. Bow at ready, he waits for the others silently.
I'll switch back to the rapier as we go up the stairs
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale