Character Generation Discussion

All things OOC about the Honor of the Empress game go in this forum.
MindWright
Level 5
Level 5

Character Generation Discussion

Post by MindWright » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:54 pm

I will answer questions here or privately about character generation. There are several important questions you may want to consider while creating your character.

Because of the background for this game characters will be older than usual for L5R. How old is your character? (minimum is around 26 but most would be older, maximum is probably in the mid-40's, but if you want to play a relic who simply refuses to retire, convince me.)

When did your character join the Sword of Setai? Most members were recruited between the age of 18 and 22, the youngest would be no younger than 16 and that would be rare.

Most members of the Sword of Setai have chosen to retire. Some have sought imperial approval and returned to the service of their clan. Why did your character choose to remain in the legion?

What is your rank in the unit? Status may be required.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Character Generation Discussion

Post by MadVlat » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:43 pm

What rank were you considering as a starting point?
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Kijuro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kijuro » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:39 am

As I don't plan on screwing over the other PCs, I'll just make my questions public.

Ichiro Jinzo, a 30-year-old bushi of the Badger Clan. Ever thankful for the aid that the Badger received from the Clans and Imperials, Jinzo has remained steadfast in service. For him the struggle will always continue, there can be no rest nor any surrender.

As a minor clan samurai in the legion, I can't see Jinzo at a very high rank.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:20 pm

I'd play a Scorpion Bushi, ~30 years old. The character would have spent a few years with the Lion Clan after his gempukku to learn about larger battles. Then a few years of service in the Scorpion lands and was recruited for the legion (perhaps he'd been recommended by a known Bayushi courtier, I'm thinking older brother) after always seeking the approval and service for the Empire and the Empress.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

MindWright
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MindWright » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Insight Rank for starting characters will be dependent on build, but probably rank 3 or 4 in most cases.

As an elite unit the Sword of Setai is somewhat rank inflated, the lowest ranking member are Nikutai (corporal) status rank two. Status will therefore start at two, but must be purchased for higher ranks.

At 30 years of age the two of you probably joined three to five years before the death of Setai.
Dragon Poker is kind of cool,
but my favorite fictional game
is Einey-Steiney Pool.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:45 am

Well, MW, the age is only an estimation and I'll wait and see what MV determines for his character, because there seems to be a possibility that his and mine character could have met before the legion.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:29 pm

As I always play Crabs I might as well stick with that. I was thinking in the direction of a grizzled old Hiruma likely in his late 30ties, a scout and commander, veteran of many battles likely with some form of physical impairment (either a limp or missing limb or maybe even taint) which made him unusable for his original duties and was assigned a role as diplomat or burocrat a duty he gladly left behind to join the Swords when the opportunity presented itself.
Big Pimpin...

Kijuro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kijuro » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:41 pm

In the past, for Rank 3 games PCs were given either 100 or 110 extra XP.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:56 am

I just realized there wasn't any question in your previous post, Kijuro. Only ~100 extra XP. Is it really enough for a rank 3 character?

Anyway, I don't know when Alderac will ship their books to Europe. So there's not much to do except background writing.

Kijuro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kijuro » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:59 am

Well, thinking about it, I've remembered that certain things now cost a bit more, so maybe even 120 XP extra.