Character Generation Discussion

All things OOC about the Honor of the Empress game go in this forum.
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Character Generation Discussion

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:46 pm

So, the samurai of the Sword of Setai were together almost all the time, right? I'm just asking because I've been thinking about some things the character could have done after the recruitment to this awesome unit. What exactly did the Sword of Setai do? Are they like some kind of Emerald Champions, pursuing injustice and criminals in Rokugan? Or were they protectors of the Empress?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:32 am

*laugh* I was totally going to make a Hida bushi, but looks like we're pretty heavy on that front anyways. I'll hit up the Courtier route, either Lion or Unicorn, once we get the book. Definitely early 30's, keeps his hand in martial training with the rest of the Swords, but primarily serving them by keeping them as politically viable as possible in the current climate. Perhaps he's married to another of the NPC Swords, so has little reason to head home to the Clan.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

MindWright
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MindWright » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Well, the Sword of Setai is an elite military unit. So the members will primarily be bushi with a few militant shugenja and combat capable courtiers. You might also consider Miya Herald as an option as they tend to be physically capable for courtiers, or Yasuki if want to be the quartermaster type, assuming there is still a good combat build for them.

The Sword of Setai was an elite military unit sworn directly to the service of the Empress and led by her consort Akodo Setai. They gathered each year and operated in the field about 8 months out of the year, usually dispersing the month before winter court and returning to service a month after it concluded. Though twice they were brought to Winter Court as an honor guard during troubled times.

As to what they did, well, whatever Setai (sometimes acting on his own and sometimes commanded by the Empress, though the difference wasn't always obvious) decided to do.

Bandits, peasant uprisings, gaijin invasions, they rescued the imperial heir when she was kidnapped and held hostage, and broke the back of an insurrection mounted by the Unicorn clan. The last being the incident that cost Setai his life. The heir to the Moto daimyo and Clan Champion is still an imperial hostage, and being held in the capital. (Not that you can't play Unicorn, you can, but if so you probably haven't been home often in the past decade as you are not especially welcome in Unicorn lands.)

...and the last missing pieces of my plot just dropped into place. That is why I love answering these questions.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks MW. That's about everything I wanted to know.

Will you respect current events in your game(Of course only those that don't screw up the game.)? Like the marriage between Setai and Iweko?

Kijuro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kijuro » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:08 pm

MWD, if you are going combat courtier, you'd probably want Ikoma over Ide. Not to overlook the Tortoise, though...

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:49 am

No, wait, I've got another question: what do the Sword of Setai wear? Do they have some kind of uniform, like a special attire or do they wear their usual clan colors with a mon of the unit?

MindWright
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MindWright » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:31 am

Yes, the consort, Akodo Setai, the former leader of the Sword of Setai, was married to Empress Iweko I and is the father of the Imperial Heir and the Empresses other two children. The youngest was born just five years before Setai's death, kind of a surprise since most of Rokugan believed the Empress was past her child bearing years. This young man, who has taken the name Iweko Hirotsu, just passed his gempukku last spring and is the current Topaz champion. He has two sisters, both considerably older, the elder of the two being the Imperial Heir.

At this time I'm pretty sure all current events in Rokugan are considered part of the historic timeline for this game, but things that happen which are precluded by the background I'm creating won't be added to that history. So this is a projected future timeline which will not change with the current timeline changes.

There is a unit mon, and also a gold and black sash used to mark unit members in court situations. Armor issued to members of the is painted in the same unit colors, and some unarmored members wear a happi with a similar design. Since Setai's death most, but not all, members of the unit where a white mourning armband with a black woodcut print of Setai's personal mon.

Kijuro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kijuro » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:13 pm

Love this background.

MindWright
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MindWright » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:47 pm

I pulled this from the other thread since it is related to character creation and not 4th edition rules.
Hayabusa wrote:Which may be the highest rank we can buy for our characters? Certainly not Rikugunshokan, Daimyo or Champion, although it'd be nice. :wink:

Shireikan?
You should probably stop at Taisa (Status 5 as I recall) Shireikan is the rank held by the senior commander of the Sword of Setai. If you can convince me that your character is that person, then we'll talk. So the status range for the game is 2 (Nikutai) to 5 (Taisa) with one possible opening for an overall commander at Status 6.
Dragon Poker is kind of cool,
but my favorite fictional game
is Einey-Steiney Pool.

MindWright
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MindWright » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:20 pm

An important consideration for character background:

Why is your character still a member of the Sword of Setai?

Setai died ten years ago. Although members have occasionally been attached to Imperial Legions for periods of service, and some hold magistrate positions that give them the freedom to take other actions, the unit itself has been largely inactive for nearly a decade. Many members have chosen to retire or return to the service of their clans and have been permitted to do so. A few dozen have not.

The Sword of Setai was an elite, prestigious unit. There is no question why you were a member of the unit, almost anyone offered the opportunity joined. The question is why are you still a member?
Dragon Poker is kind of cool,
but my favorite fictional game
is Einey-Steiney Pool.