Chapter 1 - The Brecilian Passage

"Since the first, these words have been spoken at the ceremony: Join us, brothers and sisters. Join us in the shadows where we stand vigilant. Join us as we carry the duty that can not be forsworn. And should you perish, know that your sacrifice will not be forgotten. And that one day we shall join you."
---The traditional words that begin a Joining of the Grey WardensExplore the world of Ferelden as the Grey Wardens return to the kingdom after centuries of exile. Set before the BioWare video game Dragon Age: Origins.

Run by the First Grey Warden Vardaen
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: The Exiled Prince!

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:31 am

The elf coughs in embarassment, happy to let the human noble do the talking.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:38 pm

Maric nods politely to the dwarves and elves that are slowly retreating from the conversation.

Prince Maric listens to Koren and turns to Loghain, "Well that is something isn't it Loghain. It seems there may be more loyal Banns that we at first thought. They are fearful for their lives and the lives of their loved ones." His shoulders sag and he takes a seat on a hunk of stone that fell long ago. You can see he's tired, but fights against it. "I am pleased to hear you and your father remain loyal to Ferelden and our cause. I will remember those that are so when this is all over." Rowan moves to Maric's side, "Enough now Maric, you need sleep, you haven't slept in days now." She turns to the men, "We can speak later, the Prince must sleep." Its clear that the future queen is not to be denied, and even Loghain concedes to her. She speaks to Gregor and Nalthur, "We need food and water and blankets if you have them, it has been days since we had anything proper."

Gregor bows once more, "Of course, I shall get them at once." The rebel leader hurries to fetch these things.

Loghain points at Nathur, "You dwarf, you are the commander of the dwarven forces? The Legion of the Dead?" Nalthur nods in return, "Good, come you can I shall talk tactics, I need to know where we are, when we are getting out of here and number of swords we have on hand." Nalthur and Loghain march off to a side area (still within view of Maric) to talk tactics.

This leaves you, along with Gwen and Lucas, to your own devices. That is until the woman Katriel saunters closer. She pulls her hair back and its more than clear she is an elf, and a very attractive one at that. "Perhaps the rest of you would be so kind as to fill me in as well?" Her accent is undeniable, it is Orlesian, that of the enemy. What the prince is doing with an elf of Orlais is a question that will haunt your sleep tonight.
Alright, getting close to rapping things up here. We'll fade into conversation and the like for the rest of the day, let me know who you want to hang out with speak with, etc.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:28 am

The city elf wisely stays far away from Loghain. Prince Maric seems nice enough, if a bit too ... noble. Either way, the less he has to do with the humans, the less stressful live seems to be. This foreign elf, however, certainly seems worth chatting with. Assan cares little for nationality. He doesn't even really consider himself a Fereldan, there just seems to be more hope of a better life siding with the rebels than the Orlesians. Seeing her with the Prince won't keep him up at night, at least not with political questions. She seems pretty enough, and when you've been underground for days on end, with only humans and dwarves to keep you company, even a homely elf girl would be irresistable.

Assan tries to put on his best smile, and greets his distant kin warmly. "I'd be happy to answer anything you're curious about. I'm sure we look to be a very strange group indeed. I feel like I've known these people for over a year, even though it's only been a matter of weeks. I guess fighting together will do that." He nods his head respectfully. "The name is Assan, by the way."
I love how I've been doing this campaign for 1.5 years now (first post on 8/20/10), but our characters have only known each other for weeks (the humans and elves), or days (the dwarves). PbP campaigns are funny that way.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Post by ardh05 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:25 am

Korshak, not fully trusting the newcomers, sticks around the Legion. He's friendly and chats with any that approach, but he doesn't approach anyone.
When sneaking up on people, leave your cell phone at home... or at least off.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Solanis spends the time before Katriel approaches bringing Lucas and Gwen up to speed on what happened since their parting. When the Orleasian elf approaches, however, he moves over to greet her. He feels more of a camaraderie with her as an elf than anything. After all, elves were treated poorly by everyone. There was also the fact that he's aware that the whole should not overshadow the part. Was he not a member of the Circle that was helping to serve the Orleseans. If she didn't think the worst of him for being in the Circle, he wouldn't think the worst of her for having an Orlesean accent.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:07 am

Garrack watches the elven woman. He supposes she is pretty for an elf...if you like women tall and tiny that is, not his taste per say. He then joins his brother to discuss all that has happened and to clean the gore off his hammer and armor.
What is the dwarfs position on the human war for the throne? Have they remained neutral or decided they will side with Maric? I am guessing by Nalthur's reaction to Loghain that we are on their side but it would seem we could marshal a lot more forces if that was the case in the dwarven city.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The End

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Dwarves never leave the Stone if they can help it. Orzamar, the last dwarven kingdom, doesn't really care about the topsiders. The only dwarves that are up there are outcasts, or became so be going up there. Even the traders and such are casteless now. So as a whole Orzamar doesn't care one way or the others, a constant war with the Darkspawn means they have little time to give a crap.

Your Legion of the Dead will be the only dwarven support either side will have. You've pledged to aid Ferelden/Maric/PCs to reclaim what is rightfully theirs from the Orlesans.
For the next four hours you find yourselves quite places to rest, or to talk to old friends and new ones. Many of your catch some sleep after filling in Gwen and Lucas, or Nalthur, or even Katriel and Loghain. The danger of the Darkspawn is still too close at hand to feel safe, even with your numbers. You know you are close to escaping the Deeproads, and that keeps you wanting to move on, but some, like Solanis, needs rest to carry on the fight. Maric keeps in council with Nalthur and Gregor during this time.

So it is that four hours later you are woken up from your sleep, Lucas shakes awake Solanis, Korren and Assan, "Time to move, the Darkspawn have found us."

Hapsur, a dwarven friend, kicks Garrack and Korshak awake, "Up and at 'em boys, the Darkspawn have found us once again."

In minutes the camp is packed, there wasn't much really unpacked, and you are on the move bleary eyed and tired. At the lead of the collumn moves Nalthur and Katriel, both dwarf and elf seem to know the terrain, the way out, and lead now from the front. The rest of you find youselves near to Gregor and Gwen, who travels with Maric, Rowan and Loghain in the middle of the pack. Your rescue of the Prince has placed you in a spot of honor and responsibility. Bringing up the rear half the dwarves and half the rebel men form the rearguard.

Everyone is moving fast, and silent, as if speaking might carry over the noise of the marching armor to the ears of the Darkspwn and give your position away. Torches are few, only half a dozen down the line, and one glowing mage staff. For the next hour things are tense, a few shouts from the rearguard put you on edge, but its only a few Deepstalkers. As you march the smell of sea water fills the tunnels, and you've been moving up up up as you travel. The small side passages have been forgone, and you are marching on a wide road easily fifty or sixty feet across adorned with dwarven sign posts and geometric art.

Word comes back, "Gwaren is ahead!"

The group breaks into a run now, safety is so close. Those in the lead find the ancient shipping wharves, much of it broken and underwater now, the old walls that held the ocean at bay have long since given out and side passages and chambers are flooded with sea water.

You can't see what's going on at either end, but at the front you hear shouts of joy turned into battle cries. Then the ring of sword and axe, shield and armor for a tense minute. Loghain refuses to allow Maric to move forward at first, "For your safety my Prince."

But as the noise continues Maric turns to those around him, "With me. Come, everyone." He draws his runic blade, it lights up glowing blue, the power in it must be great. He presses to the van of the column to find your dwarves and rebels engaged in battle with more men! The men of Gwaren have mistaken the dwarves and your group as enemies arriving from below the city, even mistaking them as Genlock or Hurlock!

That ends as Maric strides forwad, his sword glowing, his voice raised louder than the din of battle, "Stand down! All of you! I am Maric Therien, Prince of Ferelden, Son of the Rebel Queen, and you do battle with your allies!" He presses through your warriors to the space where the two lines fight, "Stand down I say, that is an order!" His command and presence is such that both group instantly break off fighting. The men of Gwaren realize their mistakes and quickly one after the other drop to their knees, and the whispers of the Prince in Exile still alive rippled back through their lines.

Then the chant begins, you aren't sure who started it, but you can't help but join in, "MARIC! MARIC! MARIC!"

Your arrival at Gwaren has finally happened in spectacular fashion!
So ends the chapter!

I'm out all week, that should be just enough time to level up :) Watch the OOC threads for more.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring