Chapter 3 - The Stolen Throne: Written in Blood

"Since the first, these words have been spoken at the ceremony: Join us, brothers and sisters. Join us in the shadows where we stand vigilant. Join us as we carry the duty that can not be forsworn. And should you perish, know that your sacrifice will not be forgotten. And that one day we shall join you."
---The traditional words that begin a Joining of the Grey WardensExplore the world of Ferelden as the Grey Wardens return to the kingdom after centuries of exile. Set before the BioWare video game Dragon Age: Origins.

Run by the First Grey Warden Vardaen
ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Leaving South Reach

Post by ardh05 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:00 am

Korshak returns his brother's and Koren's farewell, and grunts when he sees the horse. "You expect me to... ride... this?? Ah, well. might as well get it over with." He climbs on the horse, falling several times before he finally gets on. He glares at the elves, "Well, at least yours will have to try to make you fall off, mine just has to move."
When sneaking up on people, leave your cell phone at home... or at least off.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Northern Ferelden: Week Since South Reach

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Horses and Dwarves.

It makes for some comical visuals. Luckily for Korshak the horse he was given once belonged to a young child and is exceptionally peaceful. Korshak manages to hold on by sheet strength of his arms, and what parts of his legs he can wrap around it.

You head out of South Reach and begin your travels north....

After falling off a few times early on you manage to get the hang of it. Enough to keep on, you aren't fast, but you are faster than on foot. The Teryn's men grumble about your general lack of skill however, but are hushed by the Teryn himself when they go to far.

Its a few days to Dale's End which is more than friendly toward you since saving the Bann's daughter from Blood Mages. You spend the night there, and move on following the great Ferelden road as you go. You are slowly angling toward Denerim, nearing to the place where Assan join the group at one point, but before the road moves further into th Southron Hill and east to Denerim you leave it and take less traveled path north west toward White River. White River is neutral in the war at this point, undeclared on your parchment so when you arrives you spend some time convinving the Bann to sign. With Teryn Cousland with you it takes little effort to have the Bann of White Riven throw his lot in.

You leave there and follow the river north east toward Amarathine. Your legs and other parts are chapped and sore from the horses but you are making good enough time. You know you must press on. You are past an entrance to the Deep Roads and near to thesurface road from Denerim to West Hill, known to be well patrolled by troops of the Usurper King.
Moving us forward, you are Week now gone from South Reach.
Image[

Teal = Your Side
Yellow = Undeclared
Red = Enemy
Purple = Deep Roads
Green = Dalish Elves
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Northern Ferelden: Week Since South Reach

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:53 pm

After the first few days, Assan manages to get his 'horse-legs'. He has heard that sailors at sea eventually get used to the rolling motion of their ships, and he assumes that it is close enough to the same for horses. After a week his legs and butt still hurt, and he fears for the long-term health of his manhood, but he feels more comfortable as time wears on.

The city elf is impressed with the Teryn. He seems to be reasonably considerate, and well-skilled at diplomacy, given that he was able to make the Bann of White River sign on so easily. Assan wouldn't mind continuing to work with the Teryn in the future. Things seem to be looking up.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:30 pm

Solanis fares pretty well on the ride from South Reach, though the others suspect that he's using a little healing energy to help himself walk straight. He does offer to heal people at the end of the day if they have any saddle sores. But there's only so much he can do for everyone else during the ride.

"Where do you think is best to seek allies now?" Solanis asks Teryn. "To the west or to the east?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:22 am

"Neither. We make for Amarathine directly. We must out pace any news from South Reach that you killed the Arl Howe. We must convince his brother Byron Howe that his brother was a traitor, and deserved what he got, and to get him to join our cause. If we can do that, the rest of the north will fall in line under his banner. What isolated banns might then still side with Meghren will be of little consequence." He pulls up his horse and looks north, "We have to cross the great road however, and the Chevaliers patrol it, and we are well into the serpents den already."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:19 pm

Solanis thinks for a while. "I can use my magic to turn us each invisible for a short time," he says. "But I''m afraid that wouldn't help with the horses."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:04 pm

The Teryn nods, "Excellent, you three dismount and do that. My men and I can handle explaining ourselves and our extra mounts to any one we run into. I am the damn Teryn of Highever after all. You three, and what you carry, not as easily explained." He motions for you to dismount, "Look there..." he points up ahead where an exposed ridge line with a swath of clear cut pine are, far across the road. "Meet us there."

Once you've dismounted, he secures the horses and he and his two men gallop off down the hill and out onto the road ahead...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:51 pm

"Okay everyone," Solanis says. "The enchantment will only last for about fifty heartbeats. That should be more than enough time to get us across the road, if we hurry. So hurry. I'll cast the spell on each of you and then you go. No waiting for the others."

Assuming there are no questions, Solanis will then bring them as close as he can get to the road and still stay under cover, and then start casting his spell.
Cast Improved Invisibility on all three of us. (Oh, and Mage Armor on self, just in case.)

Obviously we wait until the road is clear (or at least as clear as its gonna get) before each person dashes across.

If the ridge is a far way off the road, and there is cover between, arrange a stopping point to re up the spell.

I figure 8 rounds of normal movement is 480 feet, or more than a football field and a half. Running is faster still. Unless this is a really, really wide road, we should be able to get across.

GDrive updated.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:56 pm

Assan nods. "I assume it'll be like normal, so we won't be able to see each other. I'll make sure to run quickly. If we get spotted, I'm the fastest out of all of us. I'll lead them on a merry chase, then stealth away once I find some cover." He takes one last look at the terrain. "Although hopefully that won't be necessary."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Post by ardh05 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:42 am

Korshak nods, glad to finally be off the horse, even as he is grateful that it was cooperative. He waits for Solanis to make him invisible, then hurries across the road as quickly as he can, making sure he sets off last so none of the others run over him and his shorter legs.
When sneaking up on people, leave your cell phone at home... or at least off.