[Prelude] Game Master's Challenge: Alton Zet

A brand new era for humanity and mutantkind begins here! The rise of mutants coincided with global and secret agencies dedicated to detain all mutants and protect humanity. Most of earth's population including presidents, prime ministers, and royal families remain unaware of the mutant struggle and their powers. 'Nuff said.

GM: The Silver Shurijo
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

[Prelude] Game Master's Challenge: Alton Zet

Post by Shurijo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:30 pm

The Game Master's Challenge: Let the games begin!

You awake to find yourself lying on the floor of a cold, dark room. The small ten-by-ten room contains a single door. As you regain consciousness, you begin to hear a voice. You cannot tell if the voice is coming from a speaker or is somehow being directly placed into your head.

"Welcome to the Game Master's challenge, Alton Zet." The distant voice speaks to you in Atlantian and sounds somewhat electronically produced or converted from another language.

The small room has a high ceiling and sheer walls covered in smooth metal panels. The floor is much the same, making the room almost featureless, save for the single door in the middle of one of the walls.

"To survive this challenge, you must pass each of the tests set forth in the next rooms. Each room will have a single door to enter and a single door to exit. The challenges will test your abilities, skills, and powers along with both your physical and mental capabilities. Furthermore, escape from this challenge is futile and will only prolong your tests."

Welcome veritas with your character Alton Zet! This story is going to be light role played, feel free to add flavor text along the way or role play as much as you like in order to get into character or even discover your character's voice/personality within this story. Feel free to describe yourself, but no other players will be joining and I, as GM, don't really need it now. Just so you know, there's no way to escape the challenges other than completing them, but plenty of ways to win or lose. I expect there to be more than 5 but less than 20 rooms, depending on time and various character specific decisions and characteristics.

I'll try to do passive notice rolls for you, but in case I forget just let me know. That will be more of importance in the real story than this warm-up, but if I miss something just let me know.

Passive Rolls
Notice: 1d20 + 2 = 15.

Your character will begin with 2 HP. Each successful test will grant you 1 additional HP. At the end of the challenge, your Hero Points will be reset to the standard HP per PL setting. So if you have HP here, might as well as make use of them since they'll be reset at the end of the challenge.

Also, the rooms may or may not be similar to Hayabusa or Trogdor's threads. This short game is mostly for us to get used to some of the dice rolls and skill checks before launching into the game. It's also a test run for your character, if you feel like you need to tweak your character after this game, then we can tweak it before the real game begins.

This thread is for veritas only.
Last edited by Shurijo on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [Prelude] Game Master's Challenge: Alton Zet

Post by veritas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:08 am

Alton frowns and begins walking toward the door on the other side of the room, speaking only two words to the disembodied voice:

"Challenge acknowledged."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Room 1

Post by Shurijo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:26 am

Alton accepts the challenge and moves towards the first door. He pushes the door open and finds a long corridor with another door on the opposite side of the room.

This hallway appears to have the same floor and walls as the first room making this room as featureless as the previous room. It's ceiling is not as high as the initial room and you estimate it to be about 15 feet high.

As soon as Alton steps forward, the door closes behind him and soundly locks. The door fits perfectly into the wall making it very difficult to locate, if Alton hadn't just walked through it. The closed door to the first room does not open when pushed or pulled.
Room #1 is a long hallway with a door on the opposite side

Notice: Hidden roll
HP Remaining: 2

Please note that notice skill lets you pick up on immediate things, search skill means you actively make an effort to search. I'll be rolling passive notice skill for each room and mark the rolls as hidden.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Room 1

Post by veritas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:50 am

Considering it to be somewhat unlikely that the challenge is simply walking from one end of a hallway to the next, Alton decides to carefully search the hallway for traps or other anomolies.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:34 am

I had a long post typed up, but I lost it... :( it happens, trying to remember everything now...
Alton is smart enough to know that walking across an empty hallway isn't much of a challenge for an Atlantian scientist, so he begins searching for traps.
Search vs Trap DC 20 = 16, failed
Reflex save vs 15, 17 passed
Know Tech 1d20+16 = 25, passed
As he moves forward, he is caught unaware by a hidden trap door as he is distracted by something further down the hallway. The trap door opens and he falls a few inches before enabling his Orichalcum Propulsion System and returning to the surface of the floor. The Atlantian scientist hovers a few inches above the floor.

Moving further down the hallway, he watches as hidden panels slide open along the walls, floors, and ceiling of the hallway. From the floor to ceiling and wall to wall, a series of bright laser beams form a shifting grid, a wall of moving lasers coming between Alton and the door. There's no way around the laser net, the only way is straight through.

On the side of the wall, an accessible control panel is revealed. The scientist wonders if he could access the laser net's instruction code and disable the lasers to avoid the acrobatics needed to pass through the laser net.
disable device skill will be needed to disable lasers, you don't have acrobatics and since this is just a warm-up for both of us, you might get some more technology related challenges other than punching through walls or what not.

Also, if you know of a particular skill, power, etc. that you want to use. It's great to describe that in descriptive text like you did above, but it's also helpful to just add an ooc block with the action inside of it for clarification. That way the official action is in the ooc or combat block.

I do the same thing in a lot of my RP games, where I just try to role play my action (because I might not be 100% sure which skill or power/feat that I need to tell the GM), but it's always good to make sure the GM has a more instructional/concise action (or even an explanation of what you're trying to do) in ooc block

To make ooc blocks, you can use the Spoiler button on the tool bar (toolbar is only visible if you click Post Reply and not in the quick reply box). or just type {ooc}do stuff{/ooc} using square brackets. I think there's a sticky thread in random forum or FAQ somewhere with exact instructions. If you have questions just PM me or test it out in our game's OOC thread.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:19 am

Alton studies the control panel carefully, attempting to discern its workings.
I'll try to disable device. If that fails, use a hero point with the reroll option to try again.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Alton - Room 2

Post by Shurijo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:46 am

It doesn't take Alton long to figure out how the laser net works and with a simple rewiring of the control panel, he has discovered how to disable it. With the laser net now disabled, the Atlantian moves on to the next test.
DC 25
couldn't take 20 due to problem if failed
1d20+11 = 30 > 25, pass
As he moves forward and opens the door, he realizes the challenges hasn't been too difficult for him. Pushing open the door to the next room, he finds a large room with a single flying robot construct in the opposite end of the room.

The door to the previous room closes and locks shut at the same time as the robot rotates towards him and shows the laser cannon mounted to its front.
Initiative: Robot 14, Alton Zet 5
The robot's cannon sights in on the Atlantian before Alton even has a chance to figure out whether or not he is to engage the robot in combat. The blast from the robot comes directly at Atlon, but he dodges out of the way at the last moment only suffering a slight hit to his side.
Alton's Defense: 10 (flatfooted, dodge bonus ignored)
Robot: 1d20+6 = 10 >= 10, hits

Toughness DC: 15 + 8 = 23 DC
Toughness Save: 1d20 + 2 = 21, failed by 2

Alton: Bruised, -1 saving throws

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Alton - Room 2

Post by veritas » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:29 am

Anger clouds Alton's features slightly as he realizes how naive it was to proceed without activating his defense systems. Newly alert, Alton prepares for battle.
Activate force field generator as a free action, activate propulsion system and fly towards the top of the room to gain an altitude advantage as the move action, and fire a series of energy pulses from Alton's gauntlets (Auto-fire, penetrating) at the robotic foe as the standard action.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:22 am

Free actions:
Activate Propulsion System, Know Tech check = 24 vs 11, pass, activated

Move action: fly up, I don't think you can get a combat advantage from altitude using ranged attacks, only when on higher ground in melee.

Blaster Know Tech: 1d20 + 16 = 33 vs 16, pass
Alton attack = 1d20 + 6 = 26, natural 20, hit
defense = 10 + 6 = 16
Damage = 7

autofire bonus is +3 (half attack since its lower than +5 from +10 over def)

Toughness DC is 15 + 10 = 25
Saving throw = 1d20 + 6 = 14 vs 25 failed by 10+

Robot is disabled...

Ha, that just goes to show me. I figured the other two players (more combat oriented than your guy) would finish off their combatants faster than you, but that's just how the dice rolls.... I expected you to have a tougher time with this guy...
Alton powers up his Orichalcum Force Field Generator and flies upwards towards the ceiling. The ceiling is around 10 meters high, so it's not too impressive of an advantage. The Atlantian has the higher ground and has a clear shot at the flying robot.

He activates his energy gauntlets and sends a volley of blasts towards the robot. Each of the blasts land soundly on the top of the robot causing it to open a panel exposing it's wiring. The robot slowly drifts downwards to the floor becoming disabled after a somewhat unimpressive attack against the scientist.
I'll post your next room, encounter in a little bit (maybe tomorrow), I didn't think you'd be done this fast, so I wasn't completely prepared :) Feel free to RP a little, I'll post something probably tomorrow. There is a door up ahead that leads into room 3, feel free to head towards it and I'll type up what you see in room 3 tomorrow

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:24 am

A smile tugs at the corners of Alton's lips as he lowers himself to the ground beside the defunct robot.

He surveys the disabled robot, commenting to himself: "And thus the Atlantian way triumphs again. Wonder if I might be able to learn something from this pile of junk.. or perhaps make some improvements."
Alton will use his knowledge skills to examine the robot and attempt to learn anything he can from it. If he's able to decipher the workings of the construct, then he'll try to reprogram it to fight for him and then repair it towards that end, using hero points where needed.
Haha, behold the power of the natural 20!