Book 1 - Act 4: A Journey to the Dark

The Fellowship is broken, the Ring Bearer slain by treachery, and the One Ring has fallen into the hands of Saruman of Many Colors. The War of the Ring rages out of control and all the Free Peoples of Middle-earth tremble in fear at what the future might hold.

Run by Vardaen the Grey Wizard
Aegor
Level 10
Level 10
Title: Subculture of One
User Class: Scum

April 30th: Midnight, The Fight for Bree

Post by Aegor » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:52 am

Mungo takes out his bow and shoots toward the olog, trying to keep his steady even though he witnessed a carnage among his kinsmen earlier the same day.

A thought of fleeing appears briefly in his mind, but there was nowhere to go as far as he could see.. So he just shoots and hopes that if death comes, it will be quick and clean - one cut over the head would do just fine.
Rearwad, Bow 4
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

April 30th: Midnight, A Stone Troll

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:14 pm

You guys get an opening volley, so I'll do that then your Round 1 action.
Round 1 Sael, Mungo, Athelstan, Stone Troll
The troll breaks loose from the dwarves and charges down the road toward the trio. The three ofyour have a moment and launch an opening volley of arrows at the creature. Athelstans is high, but the other two strike the troll sticking lightly into its chest. The beast hardly notices the arrows as it howls charging closer and closer. With a swipe of its hand it snaps the arrows off. Mungo fires again and again puts an arrow into it leg but that doesn't slow it any. Saelirneth takes aim, holding her shot for a perfect chance.

Athelstan...
Opening Volley
Saelirneth: Rolled: Feat Die: 9* Success Die: 2,3,1,6t Totaling: 21 with 1 success: 13 Endurance
Mungo: Rolled: Feat Die: 5* Success Die: 4,1,1,6t Totaling: 17 with 1 success: 7 Endurance
Athelstan: Rolled: Feat Die: 5* Success Die: 2,2 Totaling: 9 Miss

Round 1
Saelirneth: Rearward: Prepare Shot
Mungo: Rearward: Bow 4: Rolled: Feat Die: 4* Success Die: 6t,5,6t,5 Totaling: 26 with 2 successes! 9 Endurance

Haya notice that Rivendell Arrows have changed how they function in regards to the number of them you have. They are based on Valour now.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Grimbold?
Round 1 Heroes, Troll
Athesltan, with a great delay has his sword and shield out. He moves slowly forward, "Here is a foe worthy to kill me!" He stalks forward and stabs from behind his shield and puts the blade a foot deep into the belly of the beast piercing its hide and several of its internal organs. The beast howls staggering about, and with its massive club shatters the cobbles a foot to the side of Athelstan as the Rohir dodges out of the way.

The group of heroes...
Athesltan: Defensive Stance: Attack: Rolled: GANDALF Success Die: 1,1,3,6t,1 Totaling: 12 with 1 success with 1 Auto Success: -11 Endurance + Piercing Shot: Protection Test Rolled: GANDALF Success Die: 3,1,2 Totaling: 6 with 1 Auto Success - FAIL = Wounded!
Troll: Attacks Athelstan: 20 vs TN23 Miss

Remember when enemies roll Gandalf its bad, if they roll Sauron its good.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Aegor
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Aegor » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Mungo gasped as Athelstan charged, his blade reflecting light from the moonlight. Wondering if arrows can even hurt the huge creature, he jumped back and aimed for his neck - following logic that skin should be thinnest right about there.
Rearwad, Bow 4

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Saelirneth has waited for the best chance to release the arrow. She does so even as her friend ist attacked. There's just the swoosh of the string and the whisper of the gray-feathered projectile as it slips of her bow and is hurtled towards the troll.
Rearward.
Shoot Bow now after the prepared shot.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:45 pm

Mungo, tired from days of fighting, and not even sure he can pierce the hide of such a beast, still fights on admirably. He launches an arrow that grazes the troll's neck, slicing open a narrow wound there. The troll actually pause and grabs at it, like he's swatting a fly.

Destracted slightly by the Hobbit's shot gives Saelirneth the opening she's been waiting for. Her aim is perfect, her technique flawless. She fires without a word and only the noise of her bow string comes from her. Her arrow flies straight and true and sinks deeply into the eye socket of the massive stone troll. The beast stands there a moment, stock still, then its arms drop to its side. Athelstan dives to the side as the lumbering corpse of the troll topples down into the street dead!
Mungo: (Weary) Rearward: Bow 4: Rolled: Feat Die: 6* Success Die: 4,5,(1),4 Totaling: 19 Success!: 5 Endurance Loss
Saelirneth: Rearward: Prepared Shot: Rolled: Feat Die: 8* Success Die: 6t,2,2,3 Totaling: 21 with 1 success - Success: Automatic Called Shot: (Piercing Blow): -13 Endurance + Piercing Blow [Protection Test: ] 12t vs 16 Failure: Wounded! That's its 2nd wound, that kills it.

Aegor
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Aegor » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Mungo pumps his fist in the air as the big troll meets the ground

"Is this all you have?" he calls out in the night air,

"Is this all you got, you ... villains, you!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

April 30th: Midnight, A Great Shadow

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:26 pm

As if on cue to Mungo's taunts there is a massive cacophony of horns from the south east. Screams of terror and the flight of the Free Peoples from that district bring true chaos to the battle. The Dwarven forces there break, and flee! Till now the Khazad had been holding against warg riders and orcs and men of Ruhdaur, but something has changed. A great shadow passes over the south and all the defenses flee before its terror. Men, dwarf, and elf a like are pressed back north in great numbers. There is a scream in the air that echoes in your very soul, and wherever it is heard the Free People break and are routed. The retreating forces come screaming, shouting about a "Dark Terror" and a "Shadow of Death".

Athelstan leads the trio against the flood of routed men and dwarves and grabs one by the collar, "You there! What is happening in the south?"

In the flicking light of the burning of Bree the man's face shows utter horror, "A black shadow, icy fear in my heart, and with it a crimson wraith of death! What can men do against such powers?" He breaks free of Athelstan's grip and races north.

Now the arms of the Shadow are crushing your forces, and all defenders are being pushed back up Bree Hill, retreating for the last time. There may be no escape now from the madness and horror that is sweeping over Bree.

Athelstan looks to Saelirneth, "A crimson wraith? It is our Cargul, it must be the wraith Celemir!" He checks his shield and helm, and looks at the pair. "I won't retreat, I will go forward to face this great evil, I invite you to join me, but as I've said. Tonight we die." Aeglin is burning a bright blue, the light fighting against the red fire of the burning town. Athelstan's features are fearsome to behold, and in almost a whisper he says, "Come, to glory, to the red dawn, to ruin and death."

Aegor
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Aegor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:34 pm

"Well mister I do not know who that Celemir is, but you just killed a troll! I am most certain that fella bleeds just as any other when you stick them with a pointy end of a sword!"

Mungo says, patting his cloak to clean it of dust.

"Let's go an give 'im a taste of their own medicine!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:38 pm

Athelstan pauses and puts a hand on Mungo's shoulder, "Wait, no you are wrong Mungo. I forget you are not Riv, though you remind me greatly of him. Celemir is...was an elf of Rivendel, stabbed with a Morgul Blade, and now what is called a Cargûl, a Red Wraith. He is no longer of this world, and I do not believe he bleeds. The great fear they speak of, the Shadow, it could very well be a Nazgûl, a Ring Wraith. We have seen them before, and even the more stout among us cowered in fear before its terrible power. Stay here Mungo, flee with others up the Hill, live if you can. For if you come with us, I can not promise you that you shall live to see tomorrow."