Welcome Gaijin!

OOC forum for Round Eye
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Welcome Gaijin!

Post by TetNak » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:50 pm

Round Eye is a game about playing a gaijin in Rokugan. You will be playing (with some exception) "Europeans" that are not really represented in L5R cannon.

These will be represented in the form of 7th Sea (1st Edition) where we will also convert the mechanics to fit 4E as best we can.

Your characters will be sailors, priests, etc for the most part. I will list potential character ideas below.

I will let the players decide what nation to hail from. There are 'basically' a England, France, Spain, Italy, Russia, Germany, and 'Pirates' from what I can tell.

Please post here with any questions, etc.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Welcome Gaijin!

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:14 am

I'm up for this!

I suggest we play either all from the same nation (I say "spain/portugal") or are all various pirates from the different nations. However to really stay in theme of L5R world we could be from Thrane.

http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Thrane

Perhaps we set out to seek riches and fame to return our lost kingdom to its former glory only to be blown off course and now stranded in a land that hates Gaijin.

I so want a rifle :)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:14 am

I gotta ask, what time period is it going to be in Rokugan? The "Current" 4th Ed one?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:22 am

Personally I am not that concerned about staying with specific kingdoms that exist in real L5R cannon. To me, these nations are distant enough, that it should work regardless.

If we go by specific 7th Sea nations, you could have mercenaries pretty easy if you want some variety. You basically have Vaticine vs. Objectionist, which is, we know, really Catholic and Protestant.

I guess I should just give this away. One thing I was potentially going to change was saying that whatever side you decide to be against, either Vaticine or Objectionist, would have some footholds in Rokugan already. Making your life troublesome. Yes, it has plot elements from Shogun, but I am okay with that.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:22 am

I forgot to mention, you will like the timeframe, I think.

CE + 20 years was my initial plan.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:34 am

After a bit of reading, Thrane could easily by either Avalon or Montaigne, and Merenae could be Castille. Really not a problem either way.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:38 am

So around 1143.

That's a good timeperiod.

During the War of Spirits, espcially if some religious stuff is going on with our guys.

http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/War_of_Spirits

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 am

Also, another way to incorporate some LBS stuff. What if Thrane somehow took Senpet slaves? Could be that the Senpet gave some of their slaves to Thrane survivors as payment or something. One of you could play a Senpet then, if you so desired. He'd probably be a slave, but, in Rokugan he might even be the most normal, particularly to the Scorpion.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:55 pm

So what are the "nationalities" you were thinking of. The Senpet are like Egyptians, right?

Any thought to Yobanjin?
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:24 pm

I think Tet's general idea is to have us come from "Europe" . So it would mean playing French, English, Spanish, Italian type folk (or the Rokugan version of them). Yobanjin are geographically in a completely different area than these nations would be. Yobanjin are north of Rokugan, north of the Phoenix boarding within spitting distance (in the current game they are attacking Rokugan over the Dragon/Phoenix boarder!) while our Swashbucklers would likely come from the the west, sailing wise you'd go souh of the Mantis Isles and then turn west a long ways past the Ivory Kingdoms to "Thrane" and such.