Chapter 1 - A Tale of a Fateful Trip

A deadly storm shipwrecks the passengers and crew of the Jenivere upon infamous Smuggler's Shiv, an island off the coast of the jungle realm of Sargava. If they're to have any hope of escaping the notorious pirates' graveyard, the survivors will need to band together to outwit the isle's strange beasts and legendary menaces. But can the PCs unite the swift-to-squabble castaways, especially when several seem to have mysterious goals of their own? And does Smuggler's Shiv hide secrets even deadlier than its desperate denizens?

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Venture Captain Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Sails on the Horizon! Salvation!

Post by Vardaen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:35 am

"No Rion, all I had to say was the faster we fixed it, the less they would have to listen to you drone on and on and on and on..." you can hear his voice echoing in the lighthouse as he turns around and heads inside "...and on and on and on..."

Jask smiles at Gelik's prank and shrugs when anyone notices him. "Its not the only reason we did it so fast." Jask invites the group over to the camp fire, "We have some dinner ready and still hot. Come on, I guess we just sit and wait now for someone to see the light and come and save us."
It takes three days before a ship is spotted off the coast of Smuggle's Shiv! A large whaling vessel parks some 200 yards off shore. A longboat is in the water and making its way toward the coast. Two hours after you first saw the sails of the ship the long boat beaches itself to a crowd of eager castaways. Everyone is gathered, even crazy Pezok, watching and waiting. A snaggle tooth man jumps into the surf and wades ashore. "Ahoy there! What's this castaways?" He introduces himself, shaking hands, and sizing you up. It only takes a few minutes to make friends with the man, as all of your friends are excited to leave these shores, and are extra nice, even Gelik. Captain Aulek Tegerten sails the Red Gull a whaling vessel bound for Eleder. "Saw your light and figured I better investigate."

He's more than happy to take you off these shores, and be gone himself. Not interested in sticking around a minute longer to these cursed shores than necessary. Almost at once he starts ferrying people via the long boat back to the Red Gull. Aerys, Sasha, Gelik, and Jask first. While you wait for the boat to make the trip you have a moment to talk with your savior, and gather your things.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Sails on the Horizon! Salvation!

Post by Trogdor » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:55 am

Rion smiles as the gnome heads back into the lighthouse. Once you got to appreciate Gelik's brand of humor, it wasn't so bad. At least the fellow could take it as well as he could dish it out.

From there, the archaeologist settles the group into a pattern. Someone is always monitoring the lighthouse, making sure the fire doesn't go out. Others are gathering wood to keep the fire going, and the rest are just waiting for rescue. The groups shift, so no one is stuck on any task for too long.

For his part, whenever he has some down time, Rion writes more notes in his Pathfinder journal, trying to get his thoughts and observations on the temple down while they're still fresh in his mind.

When he hears from their lookout that a ship has come into sight, he stops working and joins everyone else near the shore. When it becomes clear that the ship has seen them and is sending a boat, he lets out a cry of joy.

He greets the ship at the shore, introducing himself and the others, and thanking the captain of the Red Gull profusely for stopping. He tells Aerys, Sasha, Gelik, and Jask to gather their things. They'll be the first off the island. Then he gathers his own few belongings and helps Ronk with the large chest of treasure they found.

Back at the shore he takes a moment to thank the captain again. "Thank you again for stopping. We've been stuck here for a few weeks since our ship sank on the rocks on the north of the Shiv," he says. "And we can say that the stories are right. This was not a nice place to be stuck. Not at all."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:32 am

"Yes, thank you, thank you," says Bregga to the captain, clearly delighted at the prospect of getting off of Shiv. She holds out her holy symbol of Sarenrae and says, "I know gnolls have a bad reputation, but you need not fear me--I am a faithful servant of Sarenrae." She looks at him hopefully, waiting for his response.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:35 pm

The captain looks Bregga up and down, "So you's a gnoll huh? I ain't never seen one before. Heard you were blood thristy dogs, no better than half orcs or bugbears, but you look a'right. Don't go marking your terr'irory on me ship and we'll be fine. I ain't got no beef with you lass." He does notice Jarell and there is something on his face suggesting he might have a beef with the Half Orc, but if he does he doesn't say anything about it.

The longboat reaches the Red Gull and people unload and the boat returns to you, another four folks load up, Razz, Ishirou, Pezok, and Drol this time.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 am

"We owe you a debt that will be hard to repay, captain." Rion says as the next group boards the longboat. "We'll be happy to pay our fare," he adds. "We have the means. And I've never known a ship owner who couldn't use a few extra coins."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:50 am

"Erastil's blessing on you captain!" is all Jarell has to say to the Whaler as he notices the mans look. He knows what it is like to be despised and while he has little love for those who do he has enough wit about him to know he wants to get off of this god forsaken island.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 am

"I'll take a few coins, ta pay fer your food and rum, but not much more than what it costs. I'm a man who believes in doing good when he can." He hear's Jarell's comments, "Erastil? Ain't never had much use for Old Dead-eye, Besmara's my bunk mate, and I'd don't sleep around. You keep your tree hugging blessings to yourself." He works out with Rion and anyone but Jarell that it will cost you 20 gold, for the whole lot of you, and that's more than fare it seems, considering.

When the boat is back its time to load up the last of you and get off this cursed (well not any more) isle...

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:55 am

"Oh, no, no, I am quite civilized," says Bregga. "I do not mark territory like a wild animal," Bregga assures the captain. She is quite happy that the captain accepts her so readily, though she gives Jarell a sympathetic look when the captain shows some hostility to him. She isn't pleased either at the mention of the pirate goddess, but she holds her tongue--the captain seems to be a good man with an odd choice of deity.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:41 am

Arashi, quiet to this point starts to laugh as Bregga mentions she won't mark her territory.

"Have no fear captain, I was on The Queens Gambit with Bregga. There will be no need for your mops."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 am

"By all means, captain," Rion replies. "By all means." And he takes out 20 gold coins, which he hands over to the man. "And once more, you have our deepest thanks."
Take the 20 out of the treasure before it's divvied up.