PRELUDE - Solemn Reflections

From the whispering shadows of haunted Ustalav an ancient evil rises to grip the world in a new age of horror! Amid the mists of this land of dark superstition and dread secrets stand both those who would defy the return of evil and those who would seek its terrible favor. Can the heroes discern their allies from their enemies in time to save a tortured realm from a tyrant's return? Pathfinder's darkest and most frightening campaign ever sets the heroes against the agents of Golarion's most notorious villain, the Whispering Tyrant, in a terrifying trek across a land of lurking horror and ancient mysteries.

Carrion Crown is the eighth campaign to grace the pages of Pathfinder Adventure Path and is scheduled to be run by the GM Eanwulf.
mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: PRELUDE - Solemn Reflections

Post by mackaber » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:56 pm

Sister Elena stands besides her companions a saddened look on her face, the young woman clearly has problems coming to grips with the situation at hand but clearly she is not happy about this squabbling here and now.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Indrazor can feel the eyes of Variel on him, Racist bastard. Yet he doesn't deal with him, he keeps his attention on Takeo and Muramasa. "Such evil can not be allowed to live. It must be destroyed, you can show such things no mercy, no compassion, or they will destroy you in the end. Your goal is just and honorable, but you can not teach a spirit, especially not with decite. No more lies, nor more half truths Takeo." The Inquisitor considers, tensions are high, so he doesn't press things, "Return with me to the Church of Iomeade, and together we shall banish the spirit in your blade, one way or another."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:42 pm

"What of the blacksmith's soul?" Ric asks, not directing his question to anyone in particular. Is it to be condemned to stay in the sword forever in some dimensional limbo simply because he had the misfortune to be killed when it was stolen? Or is his desire for vengeance enough to condemn him to an eternity of imprisonment and isolation?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:36 am

"It is forfeit. Just like Olthair's, unfortunate, but those are the dangers of this world. We can not let our guard down or we'll end up this them." He points at the various corpses scattered about the chamber, zombie, skeleton, and fresher kills. His hand reaches up and holds his now empty eye socket, he snarls at the thought once more and spits on the ground. "I'm leaving."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Post by ardh05 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:11 am

Takeo considers what Indrazor says for a moment, then nods. "Yes, let us go banish the souls in the blade. Perhaps having erased the wrong it has caused will allow the blade to earn a place with it's brethren in the Halls of Honor." Takeo joins Razor on his way out.
When sneaking up on people, leave your cell phone at home... or at least off.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:10 am

Delphane pipes up. "For once I agree, let us leave this cursed place. It has us at each others throats. I am not a holy man, but if we just destroy everything that needs help, it deprives the world of something it needs most desperately...hope."

He hangs his crossbow back up in its position and proceeds back out of the cave.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Elena had been close to intervening in the men's fighting but it seems now conflict has died down even if there seems to be some disagreemment on the matter. However there seems to be no disagreement that leaving this rechid place is a good idea.
Big Pimpin...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:56 am

Sorry for it taking so damned long to reply.

I had to quell a major dispute between an angry co-worker and the customer he thoroughly pissed off at work and then had a buddy of mine show up unannounced after attending his aunt's funeral in South Carolina, near the Georgia border.

The guy stayed with me for three days, having me run him around to the various gaming stores we have here in Jax and also wanted to catch up with me over the past 6 years or so of not being around one another.

All in all it was quite the exhausting -though fun at times- affair.

I am back now however, and want to make up for lost time as quickly and efficiently as I can!
With peace somewhat restored, Professor Lorrimor listens on as Takeo discusses the story of his blade Muramasa with the others. Most intrigued by the tale himself, the good professor quickly advises the magus to go with Indrazor and see if the Church of Iomeade can help in restoring the tainted blade to normal. Upon agreeing to do so, the heroes then make final preparations to leave the cavern.

Much has been learned this night by all and the heroes share a solemn silence with one another as they make their way back down through the earthen tunnel and out into the wilderness. Though successful with their mission, a great sense of loss is experienced by the group as they travel. A sense of loss that weighs heavily upon the heroes' hearts and one that will plague them for the years to come.

Softly, the crunching sounds of the heroes boots are heard as they make their journey back along the snowy frozen ground to the village of Trellmont where they reluctantly tell the mayor of their findings.

The crunching sounds continue to echo throughout the cold and bitter night as reality slowly begins to flood the heroes' minds and make itself anew.

Now in the present, the crunching sounds still continue to echo. This time however, instead of snow, we find the same six heroes treading along a gravel path amidst a cemetery.

Atop their shoulders rests a coffin containing the very man that had assembled them together nearly three years ago.

A solemn silence is somehow still maintained amongst the group as they continue to march ever onwards to the sounds of a funeral march...
And so ends our Prelude. Sorry it wasn't better :(

I will summarize events to make up for my absence and to help speed things up to get to the good stuff!
You left the cave and returned to Trellmont. The mayor was not happy that his son was dead, but grateful that the demonic threat was indeed ended.
The professor informed you that three people was all the demon would have slain in his cycle. Four were found.
Erowyn the son of the town's mayor, was found dead at the cave's entrance, the first to die and grant the demon strength enough to roam about.

Lingus the travelling merchant who made Trellmont his home during the winter months was amongst the zombies slain. His soul devoured and body used as guardian.

The second zombie and apparent hunter of the neighboring region, fallen from above and most likely the demon's unexpected surprise. Quickly devoured as nourishment and turned into another guardian for the beast.

And finally, Olthair the good-hearted old farmer and former knight of Iomeade.
According to the Professor, Olthair was found to be corrupted beyond repair. His soul devoured and body bent in some form of unholy symbiosis with the creature.

The apparent signs of mutation on Olthair's body corresponded to the pieces of the demon's corpse that had been decomposing, i.e. hand, face, etc.

If given enough time, the professor surmises, the demon's influence would have been complete and Olthair transformed into yet another incarnation of the creature.
Indrazor was essentially "right" in doing what he did, just not so in a manner one would deem "proper". A reluctant (detect evil) scan of the former knight's body by Anric, confirming this!
Professor Lorrimor returned to the cave with you in groups (to avoid further conflict amongst those arguing) and did his best to sanctify the cavern.

Delphane, Takeo, and Variel gathered up the corpses of those fallen and examined the cavern for any signs of further traps and other magical influences. None were found.

Sister Elena and Anric returned to bless the place, gathering up the demon's remains and securing them properly for a return to the town's graveyard where they then buried them beneath hallowed ground. The same was done for those slain as well.

Once everything had been finished, Indrazor was brought in to make sure it had been done so to the satisfaction of the Church. It was.
Your group then went their separate ways, several of you perhaps remaining in touch over the years. Delphane, Elena, and Takeo being the most likely of those kept in contact with as they were the most neutral in our arguments.
Takeo's blade was treated by the Church of Iomeade and initially everything seemed to be fine and dandy. No souls were detected and the blade was deemed nothing more than a finely crafted weapon.

Over time however, Takeo would eventually realize that the soul of Muramasa's creator is far too stubborn to pass on quietly and tied too greatly to its work to be vanquished.

Now growing stronger each day with its unquenchable desire for revenge, the blade slowly begins to make its presence known to the magus, whom is now too stubborn himself to give up taming the thing.

Thus far, he has kept the blade in check. Time will tell however, if he has the strength to continue doing so.
Small flavor posts if you want to, otherwise I'm going to start our first chapter as soon as I can.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!