Prologue: Secrets and Lies

In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.
They called it the greatest discovery in human history.

The civilizations of the galaxy call it... MASS EFFECT.

Run by the Spectre Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Prologue: Secrets and Lies

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:13 pm

In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.
They called it the greatest discovery in human history.

The civilizations of the galaxy call it...

It has been nearly 20 years since the System Alliance founded its Embassy on the Citadel and since then humanity's race to spread itself over the galaxy has come to a crawl. Bogged down by bureaucratic litigation and Council oversight the Systems Alliance has had to slow its expansion. To make matters worse conflict with slavers and pirates during the Skyllian Blitz has set back colonies already established. Troubles with the Batarian Hegemony plague colonists in the Terminus Systems and the ever present threat of the Perseus Veil looms.

Still, despite all this humanity prospers. They are young to Citadel Space but they are making their presence ever known. In the less than thirty years since making first contact with the Turians in the First Contact War humanity has gained an Embassy on the Citadel, something some races have taken 1000 or more years to do. The colonies and worlds under System Alliance control are too numerous to list, and the wealth and resources that flow into human led corporations every day is in the billions.

Yet no matter the troubles or the prosperity of humanity, things can always change...
Six Months before the events of Mass Effect 1...

"Two beautiful moons, one spectacular ring, zero neighbors," says a popular advertisement for Aite a Terminus Systems world. Aite is known for its sparsely settled population despite being a garden planet with a colony nearly a century old. Blessed with a mild climate, wildlife no more dangerous than that on Earth, and soil and bacteria amenable to imported plants, Aite would appear to be an unexploited paradise.

However, it is unpopular for two reasons. The first and most obvious is that its moon, Litae, is in an unstable orbit that will lead to a planetary impact and an extinction-level event within the next two centuries. As such, all investment in the planet is short-term, and the biggest business is selling off the local biota to the highest bidder.

The second drawback is the level of violence on the planet. Like the rest of the Phoenix Massing cluster, Aite was briefly considered part of Citadel space during its first wave of colonization. However, when the colony broke off to become an independent planet in 2133, the Council let the doomed planet go with less than a day of debate. Free from any real governing body, Aite's history has since been filled with wars between small frontier-town city-states over its resources. The result is a dangerous world where the average citizen in expected to be self-reliant to the point of fending for themselves against cutthroat corporations, strong-arm militia groups, and even slaver incursions. The fighting is so frequent that the name of the planet itself has changed more than eleven times. In a sign of blunt indifference, standard Citadel galaxy maps refer to the world by the name given to it by human colonists in the latter half of the century.

It makes the world perfect for a small ExoGeni mining and research facility located a few hundred kilometers outside of the planets disputed capital of Adrasteia. The small facility is home to a hundred or so workers, security personnel, merchants and other staff needed to keep the place running. On the surface it is a small mining camp, pulling out a decent amount of Palladium every month. A few months ago things started to change. Those in charge, namely Chief of Operations Nikoli Petrosky and Chief Scientist Dr. Angelica Holic began to pay less and less attention to the mining resources. As a result several much needed shipments of parts for the local machinery have gone unauthorized causing a headache for the mechanics of the facility who have been attempting to keep all equipment in production. Security has noticed that several areas of the base camp have had security levels raised, and fewer and fewer people have been admitted to the main bunker facility that houses the science and research teams.

ExoGeni home corp has made inquires into the situation, but as of to date they haven't sent in any inspectors or outside personnel. Payroll continues to flow, and the local watering hole hasn't run out of liquor or booze, so the regular staff (the minors, dock workers, mechanics, etc) have nothing to complain about.
Welcome to my first shot at running a Mass Effect game. I hope we can capture the spirit of the game. I know the system/mechanics isn't really finished yet, but I think we can manage without for now. Please delay posting until after my next post.
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Prologue: Secrets and Lies

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Base Camp Beta-36 - The Oasis Drinking Hall Image Aite runs on a near 25 hour day, but Citadel Space uses a convention of a 20 hour clock, and the Systems Alliance still refers to many things in reference to Earth hours. It makes life among the stars troubling at times. That however doesn't change the fact that men like to drink, no matter the hour of the day.

After just getting off a triple shift of trying to keep the kinetic thermal pulverization systems online with sub standard parts, Bata'Vek nar Shonn, one of the rare few aliens located here in Base Camp Beta 36, has found his way into The Oasis. The Oasis is the local watering hole, they mostly serve local booze from fermented berries found on the planet, with the occasional harder stuff imported from off world. The place also has food and nourishment, both for the human populations and the alien staff (like the Quarian Bata'Vek). The building is nothing more than two modular shipping containers pushed together, their center walls removed and the sides welded together. This was one of the first permanent structures built at the camp after the mine shaft and research building.

Always a source of entertainment, security patrols the Oasis on regular intervals, especially when a shift lets out, or when a new shipment of alcohol arrives. So it is that Security Guard Natalie Anna Kinney has been saddled with this shift today. She begins her duties by stopping into the Oasis to see the situation and take stock of things.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:56 pm

It is nothing new in the galaxy that some people tend to drink more than others when their shift is over and occasionaly the lax atmosphere can lead to a brawl between the employees of any occupation. So it makes the most sense for Kinney to check The Oasis first and let anyone know that someone is making sure that any kind of conflict will be broken up quickly.

A human strides into the containers with its charming vibe. Kinney is a woman in her early twenties of average height and build. She has shoulder-length naturally black hair; her most notable feature are her green eyes, which, as a genetically recessive trait, has become a rarity by the 2100s. She's clad in a light set of armor with a rather unusual and probably unnecessary green camouflage paintjob because no security guard actually has to hide anywhere. In fact it may be even counterproductive but it's not like it is forbidden so Kinney sticks with the pattern of one of her previous employers.

After a quick glance over the current inhabitants of The Oasis, Kinney walks up to the counter to exchange a few words with the one behind it. "Anyone who looks just a bit too anxious today?" She asks bluntly.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:21 am

"Me, for starters." The Quarian seated at the bar nonchalantly touches a finger to his brow in a sort of mock salute. Just Bata'Vek, killing time after a shift trying to keep this crap heap running. He speaks to the human in whatever terran language the lady uses, rather than relying on the translation machines. "First off, you ever seen a thermal mining charge give an error message? I thought that little blue screen would be the last thing I saw." He shivers theatrically, his grey and blue encounter suit catching the light. It covers him literally from head to toe, the tinted visor giving little hint as to the face beneath. "And then I come in the bar, and one of the new guys pours me a glass of something and tries to charge me for it. Do you have any idea the sanitation protocols everything has to go through before I can 'take a drink'?" He shakes his head in disgust. "That's why I pay good credits for the right stuff, or I'd be replacing my suit filters with every meal." He holds up a sealed canister of something or another, and docks it with a seal on the side of his neck. A quiet gulping sound is heard.

"Ah! Now that's the stuff. So, how's life treating you, Kinney?"
Just thinking about the logistics of a Quarian at a bar. Poor guys. They either have to have the best suit filters ever, or pay top dollar for pre-screened stuff. That's not going to be easy on the ol' pocket book.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:35 am

"The pay could be better but that's expected out here. It's not like there's much to spend it on anyway. Unless you finally decide to join us for a Skyllian-Five poker evening. Then you could see me lose my pay regardless of how much it is," Kinney replies, smirking at the quarian's mock salute. "More if there was someone drunk who blamed a hapless quarian for almost blowing him up in a godforsaken colony where you can't get your weekly bottle of ice brandy." The human looks over the bar to see if the mentioned drink is still there and someone's waiting for the payment of a drink his customer clearly can't consume.

"The only way I want to see a charge is from a safe distance, turning anyone into shreds who gets to close to me. That looks awfully uncomfortable," she says gesturing at the canister on his neck. "Can you even taste what you're drinking there?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:03 pm

I was thinking about that and figured you could get nourishment supplements here, even if you weren't drinking with the others.
The man working the place is Tom, a retired miner, had his hand blown off in an accident about five years ago but he stayed on the ExoGeni payroll working the mess hall, taverns and the like. He can't get the work out of his blood so this is the next best thing to working down there. He has left the drink on the bar, its sort of a running joke he has with the Quarian. Bata'Vek comes in, Tom pours him a drink, and it sits there until the Quarian leaves. Tom usually drinks it once Bata'Vek leaves.

Kinney and Bata'Vek strike up a conversation, there isn't else to do around here, drink, talk, play poker or Skyllian-Five, even the extranet is hard to access way out here, the comm buoys aren't what you'd call reliable, and when they are you don't have much bandwidth for personal use.

Its an isolated and introverted life for certain.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:57 am

Over 24 hours without a reply, other than the GM's, makes Haya a dull boy and he posts anyway.
"If it wouldn't always be a local booze then I'd happy to take care of that nuisance," Kinney replies with a smirk. With everything calm in The Oasis there is nothing else to do here so Kinney leaves the bar with a promise to return for a drink once her shift is over. "Though you may be back on not getting blown up then. Give me a call if the boys get too rough again," the guard adds and turns to leave with a very light tap on the quarian's shoulder. "If you see For ask him when the damn brandy is going to arrive. The other stuff tastes like someone brew it in a hydrogen vat that's just been drained."

After giving Bata'Vek the same mock salute he gave her, Kinney takes her leave to go back to patrolling and reporting in. After all, her shift has just started.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:37 am

The Quarian snorts, the noise sounding sorta funny over the suit speaker system. "I think I'll save my money and avoid playing Skyllian-Five against you. I think my credits would be safer next to a live mine versus that poker table. I've seen you regularly beat even experienced gamblers. Against a rookie, it wouldn't even be a challenge." The drink finishes transferring into the suit, so he disconnects the flask and puts it down on the bar. A few swallowing sounds can be heard. "And yes, I can taste it just fine. I just have to wait for it to get through the filters. It isn't an IV line or anything, just a safety feature."

He stands up to stretch, and follows the guard to the door. "Yeah, don't worry Kinney, if things get too rough with someone, I'll call for backup. I can always use my Omni-Tool to zot someone if they get uppity, but it isn't great for arresting someone. I'm an engineer, not some fancy-pants soldier. Just here for the pay, just like everyone else."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:52 am

"I'm not a fancy-pants soldier either. At least not anymore," Kinney sighs, something she seldomly does, before laughing out loud to drown it. "Hah! You only see me winning because you probably only look when that happens I think I'm a couple hundred back from the last game. Which -could- be a couple hundred credits in your pocket." Outside the human glances over the buildings of the camp. "How's it going on the mining front, Bata'Vek? I hope there's still enough Palladium down there to keep us employed for several months, maybe years. It's not like I got anything else to do anyway," Kinney shrugs. "You're staying as long as possbile here too, right?"

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:55 am

Bata'Vek taps his faceplate, the cloudy violet material keeping him safe from the outside world. "Must be the suit. You know all of us Quarians are blind! Well, at least when it comes to popular opinion. I must have simply mistook you for a Salarian with a winning hand." His voice is mocking, but obviously in good humor. He likes the human. Not enough to want to date her or anything, but enough that he'll go out of his way to socialize with her. "As for the mining, the deposits are still very plentiful. Exo-Geni chose a good mining location here. And I'll be here for the entirety of the operation, unless something better comes up. I hear you Earther types have your fingers in all sorts of pies. Maybe another corporation will find something worth leaving this paradise for."