Prologue: Secrets and Lies

In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.
They called it the greatest discovery in human history.

The civilizations of the galaxy call it... MASS EFFECT.

Run by the Spectre Vardaen
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Spoils of War: The Deep Mines

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:25 pm

"Yeah, that's all we can do for now," Kinney says as she strips dead men of their armor and gear without the slightest hint of disgust. "I think the overall plan to get off the planet would be to get to the closest spaceport and buy a way into Citadel space. Though we could check and see if that Volus dealer is still on Aite. And if we have to wait here for some time maybe you can find some traces of Petrosky's exchange."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Spoils of War: The Deep Mines

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:08 am

"I'm all for getting out of this system as soon as possible," Selena agrees.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Back on the Surface

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:37 pm

The gear is loaded and the four start back up the mine shaft. As you move you pass through the room you rigged for detonation and then past the side tunnels where you found Geno hiding and you hope he's still safe someplace.

You reach the end of the mine shafts where the base begins, and you quickly but carefully move back through the building sweeping the rooms a second time for enemies, you don't want one to slip in behind you and ambush you or free your prisoner.

Standing at the security checkpoint out of the main building you scan the camp from the door. Fires burn and smoke rises but the bombing runs appear to have stopped. All seems quite save for the crackling of the chemical fires and a fire alarm that just won't shut up.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Re: Back on the Surface

Post by thehitcat » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:58 pm

"We need to find out where Petrosky's ship was, the one he said he was getting from the Volus. Let's figure out where that ship is, call in the cavalry and then get out of here." Anar swivels his head around. "Where do we need to go to get a working distress signal out?"
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:02 pm

"Okay, we'll leave the stuff for here and we're going to make a swift sweep of the camp. When everything's clear we can look for some recoverable stuff and plan to head to the comm tower," Kinney says quickly as she looks on the destroyed prefab buildings wondering if she can find the remains of her bunk there. "Oh and watch out for Geno. He may be looking for his wife who's probably dead by now. Or he's still hiding somewhere," the human shrugs. "And if you see the damn controls for the alarm, put a round into it."

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by thehitcat » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Anar nods, first finding a solid piece of the building where he can secure the batarian he tells him to sit and then locks him in place. "Don't move, it ain't worth it." Then heads off to search for the alarm controls first before helping the others with their search. He isn't completely comfortable looking for goods that may turn out to be his companions and he doesn't want to run into Geno who is probably crazed by grief by now. That said if they need help lifting something he is happy to aid Selena, Kinney or Bata'vek. He also checks back in on the batarian every once in a while to make sure he's sitting quietly.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Selena nods and goes about the scavenging mission. Now they had time to do it more methodically. There was a chance that some equipment, some vehicle, something was undamaged and might be of use to them. Even something as mundane as instant rations might be a life-saver.

"We can do a scan for the ship once we have our scavenging done," Selena says, mostly going through the motions at this point. She's been alive long enough that she's faced tragedy before - though nothing of this scale. She has the necessary coping mechanisms to keep moving and save the grieving and recovery for later.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:22 pm

The group fans out into the camp itself. It takes two minutes but finally the fire alarm is silenced as its Bata'Vek that locates the klaxons for them and sends an EMP to take them out. The camp is searched from four different angles and its Kinney that locates your ticket out of here. Sitting at the far side of the camp is a big earth mover, nicknamed the "Ant Eater". The BEM-X 34 is a six wheeled truck like vechicle with a long 'snout' on it that sucks up rocks and debris using mini mass effect fields to lift rocks and stones up to nearly 1000 pounds in weight and then deposits them into a cargo area in the rear. Kinney climbs in and fires it up, the tank shows a full charge, and there is enough room inside for all of you and your salvage. It won't be a fast ride, but it will be better than walking all the way to the spaceport.

Its Selena that locates Geno, he's gathered with two other survivors on the edge of the camp. They have already collected a small pile of food rations, water, and some other camping things. All three appear in a state of shock but continue to act on pure survival adrenaline.

Raik Anar keeps the Batarian in line, he sweeps the camp locating nothing of value to him, but when he runs into one of you he relays the messages to the other. Eventually you are all returning to the main building, with smoke pouring out of its roof. You have 3 survivors, the BEM-X 34 Ant Eater, supplies enough to live on, and your salvage and a goal in mind.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:28 pm

"So," Kinney says smiling. She likes the truck and at least they won't sit around doing nothing but waiting. "We're ready to leave. Do we want to fix up the comm tower before we head for the next settlement? Because if not then we can leave as soon as we brought the stuff aboard."

She thinks that she can use the time to try and find the very few personal things she had left when when she came here. Not all of it may be broken but maybe some of it can be recovered, like a set of decent clothes and a couple of other items.
I'm not going to be vague here. I intend to recover personal stuff like OSD, family pics, deck of cards and clothes (out of armor appearance ;)).
Last edited by Hayabusa on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:12 am

Bata'Vek fires up his omni-tool, searching for the comm relay signal. "I repaired it pretty well, unless the bombers hit it again since last we saw it. With the computer work I did back at HQ, I can send messages at will." He looks back in the direction of the mine. "By the way, did we want to disable that big explosives trap we set? Would be a shame for some innocent guy to set it off."
I'm a bit confused. Are there other settlements of any size on this rock? I thought we were pretty much it. I thought our only real options were to use the comm tower to call in help, or try to see if a shuttle is somewhere to steal.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."