Prologue: Secrets and Lies

In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.
They called it the greatest discovery in human history.

The civilizations of the galaxy call it... MASS EFFECT.

Run by the Spectre Vardaen
thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Re: The Comm Tower

Post by thehitcat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:29 pm

"Alright let's get this rolling." Anar looks to see if any of the local fauna look particularly dangerous but since he isn't local he just looks for big teeth. "I'll cover you from anything coming at you from this side" he says to Bata'vek and Selena as his indicates the left hand side of the area around the control panel on the tower.
Make sure the scavengers aren't interested in live bait.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Are we talking creature scavengers or looters?
"Scarm," Kinney draws her rifle, firing of a short burst into the ground a dozen feets in front of her. She looks at the comm tower, thinking how this was the first site the mercs hit and how Bata'Vek and her were alone on the way here.

"You got this, right?" The humans asks the quarian.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:38 am

"Of course. While this may be the last piece of unruly equipment I have to deal with at this base, it certainly isn't the first." He shivers slightly, thinking back on what happened since they were last here. What started as a minor malfunction scaled up to a full-fledged assault. He hopes all of their luck doesn't lead them to such trouble. And he'd hoped for a nice, quiet Pilgrimage.

Getting back on track, he takes all of the information and equipment he recovered from the base to repair the comm tower, and send out a directed distress signal to the rest of this measly little planet.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 am

*blam* Kinney fires a shot and the little rodents flee into the brush. With Selena and Riak guarding the flanks and Kinney the main approach, Bata'vek sets to work.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:43 pm

Selena walks over with Bata'vek to help with the repairs and rebooting. She's not as technically able as he is. But she hopes her training will be of some use to the engineer.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:20 pm

When Bata'Vek begins to work, Kinney begins to stride along the perimeter of the comm tower just to make sure there's not another surprise up here.

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by thehitcat » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Anar continues to scan for any movement now that the scavengers have been frightened off for the moment.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 pm

The work begins, the comm tower is totally rebooted, the power is shut down and started up. Bata'Vek places the core OS disks into the tower and starts the initial bootup sequence installing the OS and various software. The process isn't quick or easy but Bata'Vek knows what he's doing, this is actually the second time he's done it to this tower since joining ExoGeni.

After about an hour the Comm Tower lights flare to life, and the screen flashes ready. The system is back up and working, awaiting your communication.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:44 pm

"I guess we were not only lucky but the turian was also ill-prepared," Kinney says to the Anar. She lets Bata'Vek work without interferring with it but cannot stop thinking about this assault. "I mean, it looked pretty thought through at the beginning when they took out communications and then hit the camp. But he either got the most stupid, unreliable crew or he's sloppy. And since he's a turian I don't think it's the former."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:59 pm

"I'm not so sure," Selena says. "If the three of us hadn't been away from camp, it would have been perfect. We'd have been killed with all the rest. Perhaps they got overconfident. But I'm not sure I'd call it sloppy."