Episode 2: The Citadel

In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.
They called it the greatest discovery in human history.

The civilizations of the galaxy call it... MASS EFFECT.

Run by the Spectre Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Episode 2: The Citadel

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:38 pm

In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.

They called it the greatest discovery in human history.

The civilizations of the galaxy call it...

It has been nearly 20 years since the System Alliance founded its Embassy on the Citadel and since then humanity's race to spread itself over the galaxy has come to a crawl. Bogged down by bureaucratic litigation and Council oversight the Systems Alliance has had to slow its expansion. To make matters worse conflict with slavers and pirates during the Skyllian Blitz has set back colonies already established. Troubles with the Batarian Hegemony plague colonists in the Terminus Systems and the ever present threat of the Perseus Veil looms.

Still, despite all this humanity prospers. They are young to Citadel Space but they are making their presence ever known. In the less than thirty years since making first contact with the Turians in the First Contact War humanity has gained an Embassy on the Citadel, something some races have taken 1000 or more years to do. The colonies and worlds under System Alliance control are too numerous to list, and the wealth and resources that flow into human led corporations every day is in the billions.

Yet no matter the troubles or the prosperity of humanity, things can always change...

Six Months before the events of Mass Effect 1...

The Citadel, the heart of Galactic Civilization, it is an awe inspiring sight to see. Your ship came into the docks two days ago and you spent well over half a day attempting to get through security. A heavily armed party of your make up set off just about every bell and whistle with C-Sec (Citadel Security). It took every effort of your group to fight through C-Sec and in the end you had to give up many of your stock piled items that you didn't get a chance to fence on Aite due to the tense situation with Dakni Kur.

Only because of Kinney's security standing with Exo Geni were you able to procure a secure locker for you arms and armor, to be placed under the control of ExoGeni should anything illegal happen with you.

You've spent the last day and half trying to get a meeting with Exo Geni executives who are located on the Presidium Commons, but you've not managed to make it off the lower wards. You've even put in a request to speak to someone at one of the embassies, the System Alliance one seems the smart one since Exo Geni is a human run corporations and it seems unlikely the Asarii embassy will have much influence in the matter.

The five "arms" of the Citadel are known as the Wards. They are the residential centres of the Citadel, each essentially a self-contained city home to millions, with a population density equal to the Earth cities of Singapore or Hong Kong. The skyscrapers of the Wards are sealed against vacuum as the atmosphere is only maintained to a certain height. Though the inhabitants of the Wards usually rebuild and arrange buildings to their liking, the keepers have been known to descend on areas of the Wards and rearrange them. In times of need the Wards can be closed, turning the Citadel into an impenetrable cylinder, protecting the people inside.

Frustration hasn't set in yet, but its starting to get close. You find yourselves meeting in a small bar located in Zakera Ward called the Dark Star Lounge. The Dark Star Lounge is a location on the Citadel. Located in Zakera Ward's Mid-Wards District, this lounge is located on the 28th level of a building. Attractions at the Dark Star Lounge include dancing, a wide variety of drinks, and gambling. An advertisement for this lounge can be heard on the 27th level. The turian bartender has been serving drinks here for eight years.

Seated at a table, a few drinks into your evening, you are dressed in your civilian clothes, no armor, no weapons, its like being naked, but you can't help it, not now
I suggest you Google images of the Citadel from Mass Effect if you don't know what it looks like for many more images.

The asari were the first race to discover the Citadel, soon after learning to use the mass relays. They were joined shortly by the salarians, and soon after, the volus. As other races were contacted by the asari, or discovered the station independently, they gained embassies on the Citadel and came under the jurisdiction of the growing Council, eventually comprised of the asari, the salarians, and the turians.
Strategically located at the junction of a number of mass relays leading to various parts of the galaxy, the Citadel quickly became a hub of activity. The station was chosen to house the Citadel Council, thereby cementing its importance in the galactic community. It is accepted to be the political and cultural heart of Citadel space, the unofficial name given to all systems that fall under the Citadel species' control.

Even after thousands of years of occupation, the Citadel retains many secrets. The precise age of the station is not known, nor what resilient material it is constructed from. The location of the Citadel's core and its master control unit, regulating systems such as life support and navigation, remain hidden. The most visible, and perhaps intriguing, mystery of the Citadel concerns its caretakers, the keepers. These mute alien creatures maintain the Citadel's vital systems, and can be seen working throughout the station, yet, despite this, little is known about them.

The Citadel is a massive construct, similar in shape to a pentagram. It consists of a central ring 7.2 kilometers in diameter, from which five arms protrude, each 43.6 km long and 330m thick. The station is capable of closing in on itself, via the convergence of its five arms, transforming it into a long, impenetrable cylinder. However, the Citadel is only closed in times of emergency, and normally the station retains its 'open' appearance. The central ring and five arms are home to the Presidium and Wards respectively; the spaceports are also located on the central ring, as it is the center of rotation, facilitating easier access for ships attempting to dock with the station.

Welcome to Chapter 2, we've fast forwarded a few days. You've lost a bunch of unsold items, but your gear, claimed stuff, is locked up with C-Sec. That means you are without weapons and armor right now. Just normal person in a city now.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Episode 2: The Citadel

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:31 am

Surrounded by several emptied glasses which were once filled with various forms of liquor, Kinney snips a finger at the latest container. Now clad in her old, dark blue BDU, cleared of any ID-, rank- and Systems Alliance-tags, the human ponders the next course of action. At first the huge construct has struck the human in awe but that vanished with each passing our they had to wait until they were cleared to enter. She does not feel too bad without guns and armor since anyone they'd encounter would be stripped off their arms likewise. With the remaining day wasted and no progress made, Kinney is quite glad to drown her frustration in alcohol and other stuff from her unmarked small bottle that seems to hold some kind of medication. During the trip she brought Knight up to speed with anything that has happened, from the repair of the antenna, the assault on the facility, the two groups of mercs, eventless ride to Aite's capital and even the message from ExoGeni that claimed the facility has been shut down the day before the day of the attack.

"I don't think ExoGeni will be glad to welcome us anytime soon," she says and thinks about the gear belonging to the company that is now locked up. Maybe it's better to mail it than trying to bring it in personally. Let them worry about customs. Right now the most difficult decision is to order another drink or wait a bit, she thinks. "I mean, you saw their note about our 'cancelled' contract. We might as well spend our time otherwise and get started looking into Saren."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:31 am

Over the course of the flight Knight explained how he was previously a sniper in a C-Sec S.W.A.T. team and left after seeing too many dangerous criminals go free.

Knight has been a bundle of nerves ever since the weapons were taken, constantly glancing around and purportedly checking for escape routes. He's been all too happy to recount tales he heard, or in rare cases actually experienced himself, during his C-Sec days of gangsters, mercenaries, and thugs circumventing rules and carrying firearms regardless (or in the case of the mercenaries actually having permits in several cases).

"Judging from the memo from that company, I'd guess that you won't get very far with them. At most they might be willing to pay you to keep quiet, more likely they'll just ignore you or try to discredit you. Worst case scenario, they try to kill you to keep you quiet. I'd suggest bypassing the company and going straight to the SA authorities. You're still unlikely to get anywhere, but they're less likely to kill you to keep you quiet."

It's obvious that Knight is a little buzzed at this point.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:38 am

Selena is back in the clothes everyone saw her in during her days at the mine - the clothes of a scientist. She's in a simple shirt and slacks with a high-collar jacket on top, and she seems perfectly comfortable wearing it. "I'm not sure whether we want to talk to ExoGeni,"she begins. "But I'll wager I could get us in if you want." She takes a small vial with a mineral sample inside. "This is palladium from back at the mine. I totally forgot I had it until I was going through some of my things today. I've tested this sample several times and it clearly has Eezo in it. If you recall, that got overshadowed by the Prothean artifact. Of course, now the artifact is gone. But the Eezo remains. That's probably big enough news to get noticed."

"Then again," she adds. "It also might be enough to get us seen by the SA authorities as well. Everyone's on the lookout for Eezo. And as I've said, there's always the option of trying to talk to the Asari delegation. They may not have any influence with ExoGeni. But they'll definitely care about the theft of a Prothean artifact. "
I was looking through Selena's possessions and I noticed she still had a sample of palladium containing Eezo.

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by thehitcat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Anar smiles at Selena, "Nicely done," he says, "that should be a ticket into see anyone whether it's the human ambassador or Exo-Geni or really anyone else with the wherewithal to mount a new mining operation to Aite. Probably best to start with the ambassador, I agree that he won't try to disappear us, at least in the first meeting." There are a pile of glasses in front of the Krogan and his eyes are a bit glazed.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:02 pm

"I agree," Selena replies. A glass of fruit juice sits before her, her drink of choice today. Some habits she gained from decades in a monastery are hard to break. "ExoGeni has not been particularly friendly toward us. And I'd feel just a little better if someone else knew about the Eezo deposit on Aite."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:24 pm

"Not friendly is an understatement," Kinney sighs. "Though it's a good thing that you still have it, I agree with that as well. May open some locked doors for us. So where do you guys want to start? The SA ambassador sounds like the most logical choice. Though Asari would be good, maybe even better. They sit on the Council after all."

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:25 am

Knight gives a curt shake of his head.

"Normally, I'd agree that the asari would be the best bet, considering that they have more pull with the Council. In this case, though, the Council won't do anything. It's not their jurisdiction and it isn't in their interest.

"The Systems Alliance has a real need for that eezo and it's their colony. Aside from that, Udina is.. well a little ambitious. He's shrewd and will see that this has advantage written all over it."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:17 pm

"We shouldn't cross out options we haven't even tried yet," Kinney replies. "We saw how much the Alliance cared so far. They wanted to send Geno and the rest safely back into SA space but they ended up on our shuttle instead. Considering that some guy from Dakni Kur just walked into the embassy and brought them to the ship doesn't scream competence. And when we go to the Alliance, and don't believe we won't, this is just a matter where to start, nothing else, we may just end up thrown under a bus again.
"We're talking about eezo -and- prothean artifacts. Anyone would want to get their hands on that. The most logical choice would be to look for the strongest ally. Though maybe they do not care much either. I mean, you weren't surprised when you learnt that this was about Protheans either," she adds, looking at Knight.
Where are the other three NPCs by the way. I'd have Kinney look after them but maybe they are elsewhere...

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Knight shrugs.

"I understand the scholastic implications of finding Prothean artifacts. I understand they could jump our technology forward. I'm also not much of a researcher. The importance isn't lost on me, but the 'awe' factor is. Regardless, I'm not saying the council won't be interested, I'm saying that they won't be able to help us legally."