Your Body's a shell. Change it.

Death is a disease. Cure it.

Extinction is approaching. Fight it.
Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Elis Menezes: Swimming in Scum

Post by Brennor » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:11 am

Image You find yourself on the Scum Barge Ecstatic Metamorphosis. You originally embarked on this ship several months (and ports ago) looking for work. You've found some menial repair jobs -- not befitting of your skill -- but the pay is good enough to allow you to party the time between Firewall contracts away.
This Scum Barge was previously a colony ship, but is now a gigantic floating city that lazily wanders space from port to port, and is run by members of the Scum Faction -- basically a nomadic black market where anything goes. This particular ship has a central cylinder that is rotated giving light (0.4G) gravity. The rest of the ship is without gravity. Parts of the ship are open bazaars, others are non-stop nightlife and there are even some areas where you can seek out some rest or privacy. This ship is also accompanied by a swarm of smaller craft as it goes about its business.

These anarchists fully endorse full personal control over one's own body and mind and wholy embrace body modification and experimentation. There are no police and very few restrictions. The only rule is that you can't do anything to endanger the ship itself. Anything else goes.

People come here to party, for vacations, to buy and sell illicit goods. You can find pretty much whatever you want here and it is possible to do so and do it without people finding out what you've acquired.

Since you've been on board, you've seen what you believe is the entire cross-section of Transhumanity. Members of all factions, all types of morphs and even all ideologies have been encountered.

At the same time everyone receives an encrypted message via the mesh (basically an email directly to your brain). Your notifications pop up and after all security codes are entered and checks are successfully passed, the following appears in your view when you open it:

Firewall can't come right out and say that bad things are happening, in case the message is intercepted. But you know that the following are code words. An "Art Dealer" is actually a weapons dealer, and a "masterpiece quality artwork" is actually a weapon of mass destruction. So this message is saying that Firewall learned that someone on this scum barge is attempting to sell a weapon of mass destruction and they want you to prevent that from happening.

Also included in the message is a link to a simulspace, which is a virtual reality that you can access via the mesh. In this case, this is a hidden simulspace with passcodes, which you now have. Provided you enter the simulspace, you see a simple conference room with a round table in the center of it, with four comfortable chairs arranged around it. There are no decorations, just simple grey walls with a simple flourescent light above the table.

At this moment, no one else is in the conference room. You do have a date and time contained within the encrypted message though. That meeting time is 2 hours from now.

Only thehitcat should be posting to this thread...

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Re: Elis Menezes: Swimming in Scum

Post by thehitcat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:07 pm

"Finally" Elis thinks to herself, "I'm tired of all these shit jobs. Hmm I wonder who else is in on this." She clicks out of simulspace and decides to go get herself something to eat and maybe something to "wear" for the meeting.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Elis makes her way to the central marketplace on the scum barge. Most anything she could want or need and even many things she has no idea she wants are all to be found there, including food. She's familiar with what is available here so she makes her way to one of the "street-meat" vendors -- her current favorite, and orders up something that doesn't seem to be too vile or out there for her tastes (-2 credits).

She takes a few minutes to gather the food and watch the scum of transhumanity pass by her as she begins to eat. She'll want to finish up the meat pocket before going shopping -- some of the merchants don't care what you do in their shop, others are sticklers.

Elis has her muse set a timer to display in his vision field as a countdown to the meet: 1h 45m.
What kind of clothing are you looking for? You've been on this ship the longest, so have an idea of where you might find things.

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12

Post by thehitcat » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Elis heads for one of her favorite stalls/shops/designers. Good fashion designers and pirates have lot in common. The faster their good designs are copied the more new designs the fashion house can sell to people so Elis was unsurprised to find designers here on the barge. Upon reaching the stall she catches the designer's eye (she shops here alot) and motions her over.

"I have a meeting coming up with some people. I want something new that moves with me and dazzles. I'm thinking adaptive fabric that changes my basic shape would be a good start. Also because I know you like added pressure I need to wear it out of here in 90 mins." Elis smiles "Come on you can do it."
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:46 am

Elis approaches her favorite vendor. Wadie recognizes one of her customers, but she is busy at the moment. She holds up a finger, asking for some patience.

It takes a few more minutes, but apparently the two come to an agreement of sorts because some information is exchanged and likely credits as well.

Wadie approaches, smiling. "Ah, back for some new threads already?" She nods slightly as Elis explains what she wishes to have. "I think I might be able to find some materials on board in order to make you an outfit. 90 minutes will be the problem, however. Perhaps if we both looked for materials, it might go a bit faster? Thoughts?"

Muse countdown: 1h 40m

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12

Post by thehitcat » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:36 pm

"Sure Wadie, that sounds good. We probably don't have time to get on a fabricator but we can go to some of the vintage sellers here or maybe someone just got a 'shipment.'"

"I also will need a little time once we pick the main material to get a tint to clash and make the look really rad."
Hi Brennor, I'm grasping at straws here a little as I haven't played EP before so if my actions below don't seem to make sense let me know and I'll work with you to form a more coherent narrative. Also good to have you back I'm intrigued by the possibilities of this game. :)
Use my Interests: Scum Culture to hopefully help me towards either a seller of clothing that Wadie could repurpose and/or to remind me of 'word on the street' that a smugglers new shipment may have arrived that may include some of the materials Wadie needs.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Elis Menezes: Browsing Scum

Post by Brennor » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Heh. Interests: Scum Culture is exactly the skill I was aiming for originally. However, acquiring items is all based off of reputation. No problem on working together for a narrative.
Wadie nods. "I wasn't thinking fabricator. There are plenty of other stalls here that are selling fabric of various types. I haven't had a good look around since the last port, which theoretically means that there are several new shipments that could be out there waiting to be found."

So Wadie and Elis split up to find different materials that might work for what Elis is looking for. Before doing so, they link their muses together to provide a direct chat connection with each other, allowing for some sharing of what they see and images of materials they find.
You don't have to transmit everything you are doing, but can send images, text, voice, etc.
Wadie closes up her little shop stall for the moment and then heads off to the right, leaving the left for Elis to tackle.
Normally, I probably wouldn't call for a test for this, but since we are poking at the rules and trying to see what works/doesn't work, going to go through it here.

Finding the fabric you want is a tough call, what you are looking for is relatively new and not likely something that will be readily available. It isn't completely absent from the black market either though. So we'll make this an average test (+0 modifier) -- the black market here usually assigns a +10 bonus, which is why we are back at 0 instead of -10 for a difficult test.

@-rep is 60 + 0, target is 60.

<@MUSH> +ROLL: Brennor@IRC rolls 1d100 and the dice show: 52

It'll take the better part of an hour, but between Wadie and yourself, you'll find something.

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Elis Menezes: Browsing Scum

Post by thehitcat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Poking at the rules is what this is all about... :)
Via Muse "I found something Wadie. Take a look what do you think is it usuable?" Elis sends video of the material as well as touch sense for feel if possible. If you're good with this I'll meet you back at your stall. Otherwise there might be one more place I can check...Via Muse

Elis meets Wadie back at the stall with their finds. "Time for you to work your magic, girl!"

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Elis Menezes: Buying Scum

Post by Brennor » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:23 am

Wadie responds to the picture of the fabric through the muse as well. Via the video, you can tell that she's at another shop with a variety of different types of cloth around her. She doesn't seem to have had the luck you have though. "That seems to be quite the find, Elis. Much better than what I've seen so far, at least. I'll meet you back at the shop."

Elis buys the fabric she found, completing the transfer of credits from muse to muse after checking the vendor's rep. Seems reputable enough, so the transaction is completed. The fabric is wrapped up so that Elis may travel through the Marketplace without destroying it. Her Muse throws up a status message in the corner of her view: Credits: -250.

Once she returns, she finds that Wadie has beaten her there and the shop is back open. There is one other person inside browsing around. "Let's see what you've got! It is one thing to see something via the video feed, something else completely to see it in your hands."

Wadie runs her fingers over the fabric. "What were you thinking of for the design?"

Muse countdown: 45m