Prologue: Discretion

New Orleans, 1935. Whoever called this 'the Big Easy' sure got that one wrong. Things are tough all over. Honest work is hard to find, and even dishonest jobs are getting scarce. The one thing that's not in short supply is trouble. From shady thugs to crooked cops to Mafia soldiers, there's plenty of characters out there looking to give an honest Joe a hard time.

And that's not the worst of it.

There are stories going round about things that go bump in the night. Things you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley on a darker night. And those stories aren't just coming from rummies or saps who read that Epitaph rag.

Still, there are a few good men left in the concrete jungle. Steely-eyed private dicks, fast-talking grifters, wild-eyed inventors, and shadowy houngans still struggle against the encroaching darkness. With enough moxie and more than a little luck they might just be enough to turn the tide.

Run by GM Kogaratsu
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Prologue: Discretion

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:21 pm

Meanwhile, down in Records Keeping, Simon Leroux Beaumont hefts about a large filing cabinet as if it were nothing more than a simple trash can. The large pale-skinned man has taken the initiative to act upon a comment made previously by his dear friend and killer, Genevieve Scarasse. The young Creole woman had commented earlier to Simon about how badly organized and dirty the records room has becomed and Simple Simon has chosen now to help and try cleaning it up.

The behemoth of a man carries the filing cabinet to one side of the room, where he then places it down neatly flush against the others he has already moved there as well. Simon then turns to grab a hold of a large, long-handled push broom and begins sweeping the floor with mindless mirth. *SQUEAK!* A large rat suddenly darts out from beneath the cluttered papers and trash upon the floor! Simon gasps, frightened, and then lunges forwards to sieze up the rat; a wild red glint now present in his eyes as he drops the broom and moves forward.

No sooner then Simon has the rat in his clutches then he begins to devour the thing whole. By the time Genevieve enters the room to fetch him, nothing more than a length of the animal's tail dangles from Simon's blood-stained mouth. The alabaster-skinned brute then looks up at his friend and nearly begins to cry. Reching out to the woman as a child would their mother, Simon finishes up slurping down the last of the rat and apologizes profusey.

"Simon sorry Genny," the man begins to explain, "I must be hungry..."
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:11 am

Genevieve--Simon is the only person who calls her "Genny"--momentarily has a look of distaste on her face as she sees Simon slurping down the rat, but she quickly turns it into a smile. "Never mind, Simon," she reassures him. "Not only are you doing a good job cleaning up down here, but you're also covering for the cat as well. The cat should have caught that rat and will doubtless be grateful that you did."

She looks around at Simon's efforts to clean things up and finds herself praying to the loa that he didn't hopelessly mess up the order of the filing cabinets. "Come on upstairs," she says. "Mr. Doyle wants to see the two of us." And if Doyle wanted to see the two of them, chances were something interesting was up. She starts back up, making sure that the undead man-child is following her.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:57 am

Simon smiles greasily, bloody bits of meat and flesh still caught betwixt his jagged teeth. "Simon come!" he then replies cheerfully, wiping the drool and plasma from his face with the sleeve of his jacket. The large undead man honestly feels like he has helped Genevieve 'make' a difference down below here in the records room and it shows upon his face. Hopefully however, Simon's inability to read has not impacted the organization of Doyle's filing cabinets too terribly much. Irregardless, he finishes up what it is that he is doing, then follows Genny's curtails upstairs and into Doyle's office.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:14 am

Genevieve knocks on Doyle's door, saying, "It's Miss Scarasse, Mr. Doyle, and I've brought Simon too, as you asked."

Kogaratsu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kogaratsu » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:25 pm

As Miss Scarasse knocks on the door of her boss's office, John Doyle ushers her and Simon in as he perches on the side of his desk taking notes from a conversation he is having on the phone. "Yes, mm, and where's he located?" He whistles. "Yep, wait now!? this better be worth it Patrick, ok bye."

"Right listen up you two we got what appears to be a missing persons case. Some wealthy fella by the name of Grant Ross has contacted an associate of mine and asked for help tracing his sister. He doesn't want the feds involved something todo with an overbearing father I don't know but anyway that's where we come in, so I got the details here" He rips a piece of paper off a notepad on his desk and hands it to Genevieve. "So if you've got any questions you better ask now because I am packing up for the night Oh, and you'd better take the company car as there's some big event on in the French Quarter this night and the trams are packed."
Last edited by Kogaratsu on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Simon looks nervous as he enters Mr. Doyle's office. The lumbering behemoth then proceeds to emulate his employer's enthusiasm; his stomach rumbling out loud periodically. Nodding his head repeatedly, Simon's eyes widen whenever Doyle's tone grows more emphatic than previous. His mouth opens even wider in awe at several points during the conversation. Ultimately, in the end, Simon simply scrunches his face momentarily, as if allowing all the information Doyle has relayed to the pair to process, and then smiles warmly; responding.

"Simon got it! Help Genny find Ross' sisster!" Simon then adds the obligatory inquiry. "Uhm, do Doyle know how Ross lost his sister in first place?" Later, when alone and the opportunity presents itself, Simon turns to Genevieve and comments. "Did you hear what Mr. Doyle said Genny!? Poor Mr. Ross lost his sister! Such a sad, sad thing. Simon going to help find her with you, help find her good!"
My character might be to naive to follow Rule #1 when taking a case, but...

Rule #1 - Make sure this is in fact Doyle's sister please ;)

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Koga, it would Miss Scarrasse, not Mrs. Scarrasse--Genevieve isn't married.
Genevieve takes the piece of paper from Mr. Doyle, her eyes brightening as she does so. It's not that she's taking comfort in someone else's misery--it's the thought of having a puzzle to solve and the chance to help someone which makes her feel good. Not to mention, solving the case might bring in some extra money. "I'll be happy to take the case, Mr. Doyle," Genevieve says. She smiles at Simon's simple question, but it is in fact a good question. She looks over the piece of paper Doyle handed her to see what information is on it, while she waits for Doyle's answer to Simon.
Does the paper have any additional information on it?

Kogaratsu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kogaratsu » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:36 am

Apologizes Muskrat I will go back and edit my posts.
"Apparently She didn't come home to their apartment last night" As John answers Simon's question. John looks back to Genevieve, "I know I know it is probably nothing but this Ross fella is concerned, and he's waiting for you two now at his flat plus we're getting paid regardless, and good money at that might I add!"
The paper's notes include the address and directions to Mr Ross's Downtown apartment as well as the name of his sister, which is Emma.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:05 am

"Okay," says Genevieve, nodding at Doyle. "We'll go check it out. What about this associate of yours? Will we be seeing him there as well? I imagine if Mr. Ross is edgy enough to hire people to look for his sister after she's been missing for less than a day, he might be edgy around strangers as well."

Kogaratsu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kogaratsu » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:57 am

"No, my associate will not be there to meet you at Mr Ross's apartment. It may well be that Mr Ross is on edge, however, I am more than confident in your abilities to calm the man down and make sense of the information he provides, but this is why I want Simon with you just in case his nervousness or frustration does turns ugly."