Book 1 - Act 1 - The Wormwood

The shipping lanes of Golarion's seas and oceans are filled with fat merchant vessels laden with trade goods both mundane and exotic, as well as the pirates and freebooters who prey on them. Under the banner of their Hurricane King, these buccaneers sally forth from that archipelago of lawless pirate ports and anchorages known as the Shackles, plundering the shipping of countless countries and trade consortiums, then vanishing back into the maze of islands and reefs they call home. The nations of the Inner Sea would like nothing more than to end the pirate menace once and for all, but the eternal hurricane known as the Eye of Abendego has thus far shielded the Free Captains of the Shackles from the threat of retaliation.

In the Skull & Shackles Adventure Path, the PCs take on the role of pirates, but they must make a name for themselves in piracy, plunder, and disrepute to truly become infamous Free Captains of the Shackles.

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate King Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Aftermath - Victory at Sea!

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:56 pm

Sandara is all smiles, she pats Jain on the back and channels a curative spell into him that seals up the wounds the man took. "Besmara would be pleased! We did a hell of a job." She notices Aya and Maggie both are looking down and discovers why. "It is a sad thing, but they died doing what Besmara wants us doing -- looting and sailing and fighting! Take heart friends that it wasn't any of us, and that the died in action and not down in the bilges under Plugg's boot like poor Appello."

Grabbing up a drink she clanks it into Toruk's mug and starts to sing a sea chanty to raise the spirits of everyone.

The festivities really begin....and don't end for a day and a half! The party lasts the rest of today, and its still early, and well into the next night. There are no job assignments, no swabbing the deck, no working the ropes, no rum rations or other tasks. Only Kroop and Toruk have to do some work to keep the crew fed, and Grok has to haul up more rum for the crew to enjoy.

The prisoners from the Man's Promise are rounded up, bound and taken to the bilges to be dealt with at a later time. For now its time to revel and drink.

Early in the evening of the first day after taking the Man's Promise the Captain divides up the plunder. You are called together as a group, and Harrigan praises your work taking the aft deck, in making sure no one made it off the ship in a boat, and he punches Maggie in the arm as an added show of his appreciation of her timely yell. When its all said an done you walk away with a heavy coin purse, and a few other rare items for your actions.

Each PC receives 150 gp in coinage as his or her share of the booty, modified by the following factors.

If the PCs took the aft deck and sterncastle within 6 rounds, they receive three potions of cure moderate wounds and a potion of invisibility, and each is awarded an additional 100 gp.

If a PC warned Captain Harrigan as he was being attacked in Round 3, the PCs receive an amulet of natural armor +1. -- Maggie

For each Rahadoumi sailor killed by the PCs, the PCs receive +25 gp to divide among themselves. -- 13 Sailor's Kill (2 Captured) 325gp

If the PCs killed the Rahadoumi officer in Round 11, they receive an additional 100 gp to divide among themselves. This reward increases to 200 gp if the PCs managed to capture the officer alive. -- Failed!

For each pirate accidentally killed, deduct 150 gp from the party's reward. - None of your team died so this doesn't trigger.

Total:

Personally Each of You Gets: 250 Gps

Maggie: Amulet Nat Armor +1

Group Booty: 3 CMW, Potion Invisibility, 325 gp

Sheet's Updated
Over the next 36 Hours you can take a total of 5 Ship Actions if you like, or just drink and revel like the rest of the crew. Jain and Sandara drink and revel. There are no work assignments over this time.

MrBlonde was going to join us at this time as a prisoner from the Man's Promise but he's appeared to vanish.

You also even up healing up, etc.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:56 am

Rod intentionally spills his first mug of drink into the sea as a gift for Besmara and to honor the dead. Then he also clanks his mug to Toruk's and drinks with him and Sandara. He also offers a cheer for Aya: "Well fought, girl. Would nto have thought you had it in you. Well done, lassie!"

Later, when people are singing, he walks up to Maggie: "Would you care for a dance, my lady?" If she agrees, he twirls her around expertly grinning madly and joyfully. Afterwards he also asks Aya and Sandara.

If she declines, he asks Aya or Sandara but while he enjoys the dance, he would have enjoyed Maggie's company more.

He takes his share of booty and stacks it away, only then remembering the strange spear the officer had. Did she drop it? Did she take it with her? He shakes his head, he does not remember. He now regrets not taking it from her.

Later he joins in the singing and gets more sleepy and silent, sitting on the deck with his back against a crate observing the fun and slowly dozing off.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:32 am

The young kitsune pays little mind to any well-meant encouragement and compassion. "Aye, but Jack or Tilly may have made it if they fought at our side. Or not. In any case they did not choose life on the ship on purpose," she only replies. She doesn't feel like celebrating much and tends to keep to herself unless summoned, like the captain did.

"Thank you," is the only thing she replies to Rod. For most of the time though she stays on the Man's Promise whenever possible but doesn't go for looting much. Just sitting on the deck with a half-full mug of rum.
Ritual thingy.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:28 am

Maggie is sullen at first when Rod asks her to dance, thinking that Samms won't be able to enjoy the same. But then she thinks of what Besmara would say. Maggie had to consider that tomorrow it might be her dead on the deck. She could be sad for the loss of Samms, but she shouldn't let it keep her from living her life. So she gets up off the deck and tries to put on her best face. She'd celebrate Samms's life rather than decry her death. And right now she'd do it by dancing.
Maggie will cut off a lock of Samms's hair and a lock of Jack's hair to keep. Some day she'll be powerful enough to cast Resurrection, and who knows what'll happen then.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:39 am

While others celebrate Aya is leaning agains the railing of the Man's Promise, staring at the spot where Jack was killed, still wondering if things could have gone different if either he or she had been in another boarding crew. Maybe she'd be dead by now. In the end it does not matter, nor will it. She feels not particularly sleepy either so stays and watches the night and the deck. It takes her hours to get past her sullen mood and she knows she's best not with a sword or a rope or any weapon. The young kitsune can sing and dance and although she does not feel to do the latter she begins to start by humming quietly before breaking out in words after a while.

"♪We'll drop him down to the depths of the sea, ♫
♫We'll sing him down with a long, long roll, ♪
♪Where the sharks'll have his body, ♫
♫and Besmara have have his soul...♪"

As she does so she thinks that it may not be the last of friends dying either. That dragon goblin got a bolt through the had, a man was keel-hauled, Appello with is odd fighting technique was killed while alone in the bilges which may have been worse, dying in that filthy disgusting water; she remembers Jack's reaction to her first shift down there too and smiles to herself; and funny Tilly and Barefoot Samms who she did not even see falling and of course Jack. Poor, young Jack to whom she could not even say another word before he died. Smelly Aya, fresh from the bilges and the lad with the bucket of water he emptied over her head.
What about Tilly Brackett? She was helfpul too if I recall taht correctly.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:13 pm

In-between helping Kroop with meals, Toruk has played the part of observer. Leaning against the rail next to Aya as she finishes singing her tune, "A fitting tribute, Aya."

Seeing Rod coax Maggie for a dance makes Toruk reflect upon when they all met at the Formidably Maid. In an effort to lighten her mood he nudges Aya with a gentle elbow, "How am I supposed to compete with that? I mean look at the guy!"
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:28 pm

My ritual... Nooooooooo. :wink:
"Oh," the kitsune replies. She thought she was alone and did not notice Toruk's arrival until he has begun to speak. "Well, thank you. I am not a very religious person or feel much like dancing in the wake of friends' death," Aya shrugs but smiles at the sorcerer anyway. "Are you asking me how to enthrall a woman, Toruk? Or more specifcially Maggie?" She adds with amusement in her voice though she hardly understand why the men around her are all attracted by the priestess. Not that it matters much to the bard. "Why you could ask her to dance with you too. You know how to dance, right?"

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:41 pm

"Enthrall? Nah...I'm good with it, Rod has been working that lock since the moment he walked into the Maid." Toruk chuckles a bit, "Wow, that sounded terrible."

After an awkward pause, "As for my dancing abilities, let's just say some things are better left unseen. So Aya, tell me something about yourself."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:06 am

"Yes. Yes, it sounded terrible," Aya remarks with a grin so Toruk knows she does not mean it serious. "If you are trying to court me then that was quite a weak start too. Because I can tell you many things about myself but I think most of them are mundane and I assume you mean it like 'tell me what you did before you got clubbed over the head and ended on a pirate ship'. And even then there is not a lot to me either. I do not know my mother and my father was a simple fisherman with his own boat and a tiny crew of two. However, I did inherit more from her than I did from him because he was not covered in fur and he could not change himself as I can. And my father did not know that she could until I was there and she vanished the same day." As she speaks she turns into the humanoid fox that she actually is when she begins to speak about her mother but returns quickly to the chestnut-haired girl again.

"My dad was nice and did not toss me into the see either when he figured out what my mom was," Aya continues with a wink. "So I am a fisherman's daughter though fishing is something I really do not like so I helped out in other ways. I can make trips and waits and journey on the ocean shorter and can be quite persuasive when it comes to selling the catch again. But obviously I am not doing that anymore. No, ten months ago my dad and his crew did not return and neither did they months later and when there was no news I sold what we owned, except for the hut itself, and figured I could be lucky enough to find him. Or my mom who I only know the name of and that she's a kitsune but little else. And so I was hoping to find him or her until I decide that it will be pointless, earning some coins by entertaining others to continue until it was that night some weeks ago that got us together on the Wormwood."

Finally she shrugs. "And that is pretty much it. Nothing to fancy or worthy of song as far as I can tell. Except for today, maybe." She looks the much taller Undine down and up again. "What about you, Toruk? I'm all ears if you want to tell me about your back-stabbing and throat-cutting adventures before you 'volunteered' for this endeavor? I'm always eager to hear tales as much as I like telling them. Might be there will be one about a blue-skinned captain roaming the sea if I live long enough."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:46 am

With a smile, "I'm really good at this, can't you tell..." He listens to her story intently, "It is an unfortunate thing to know a mother by name only, I am truly sorry to hear that." When she shifts, albeit briefly Toruk shows no signs of breaking stride. He is used to being different from the masses.

"An Undine sea captain! Ha, that job is better suited to the likes of Jain."

After a moment to ponder his own past, "I spent the majority of my years in Riddleport, working at my uncles shipyard." He muses a bit, "Turns out I should have practiced the ropes a bit more." In a more serious tone, "My parents are, or were pirates. I got word that the ship they were on got sacked and plundered while in the Shackles and immediately left home."

Seeing that his tankard is nearly empty, "Can I get you another?"