Book 2 - Act 2: Piracy on the Fever Sea

The shipping lanes of Golarion's seas and oceans are filled with fat merchant vessels laden with trade goods both mundane and exotic, as well as the pirates and freebooters who prey on them. Under the banner of their Hurricane King, these buccaneers sally forth from that archipelago of lawless pirate ports and anchorages known as the Shackles, plundering the shipping of countless countries and trade consortiums, then vanishing back into the maze of islands and reefs they call home. The nations of the Inner Sea would like nothing more than to end the pirate menace once and for all, but the eternal hurricane known as the Eye of Abendego has thus far shielded the Free Captains of the Shackles from the threat of retaliation.

In the Skull & Shackles Adventure Path, the PCs take on the role of pirates, but they must make a name for themselves in piracy, plunder, and disrepute to truly become infamous Free Captains of the Shackles.

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate King Vardaen
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Night 63: Open Water!

Post by Grimbold » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:12 pm

"Well done, crew! We escaped. If they had caught us, we would be hanging from their yards side by side. This is much better, I think. We are free to prey on unsuspecting ships here in the wide and endless seas." Rod says, putting his arm around Maggie. He takes in a deep breath, smelling the salty sea air, smiling suavely.

"I will check on the supplies needed to repair the ship. Let's get to work."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Sunset Day 70: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:11 pm

You are out to sea, and the threat is gone. You set your carpenters to work to repair the ship lead by Toruk and Maggie. Toruk leads the hull crew and Maggie the riggers in the sails. You spend days working on the repairs, there are old war wounds on the ship that have never been mended, but now you take the time to fix the whole ship up. Its re-tarred, sails are patched, rope made, holes fixed, and the masthead is even cleaned up. So it that a week later you are rounding the cap of Senghor and turning north by northwest out into wide open seas and toward the Tidewater Rock that the Banshee is fully repaired.

The captain gives out a second rum ration for all the hard work from the crew. You've left land behind now, and are turned west to the wide sea as the sun is fading on the horizon.

Without warning s ship suddenly comes into view, sailing across the setting sun. The glaring light behind it makes the details of the ship difficult to make out, but its lines suggest a whaler riding low in the water. As the last light of day disappears below the horizon, the distant ship also drops from sight in the gloom of twilight.

Day 70 at sea, 7 days after escaping the Dominator.
Health every one's sheet is updated back to full strength

Repair:
Because of their specialized construction, ships (as well as oars and sails) usually require the Craft (ships) skill to repair. Depending on the nature of the damage, skills such as Craft (carpentry) or Craft (sails), or even various Profession skills, can be used to repair ships with the GM’s approval. In general, a day’s worth of work by a single person using the appropriate skill to repair a ship requires 10 gp of raw materials and a DC 10 skill check, and repairs 10 points of damage on a success, or 5 hit points on a failure.

Toruk leads crew in repairs: (Taking 10)
Toruk Craft (Ship): 10 +10 = 20
Maggie Craft Sails: 7 +10 = 17
Maggie Craft (Carpentry): 7

5 Additional Crew Men: (They Roll) 10,13,17,6,7 = 3 Success

5 Successes 2 Fails: + 60 HPs -50 gp
(PER DAY) x 5 = 300 Repaired = Ship is back at full strength

Unfortunately I don't see gold or repair supplies on the ship's sheet. Odd. I'll assume that's because we just didn't understand what we needed. I'll remove the 50 gp from PC sheets and assume it was supplies.

So I removed 50gp from each of your sheets.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:01 pm

The captain is glad that quick progress is made with the repairs and stands besides Kroop as he hands out the rum. "Ye've all done good work t'day. Get yer bellies filled up with food and drink an' an extra cup of rum fer evryone!" It is then that she looks across the sea to spot the ship. "Looks like we got another easy prey!" She adds as she sees it riding low.

She rushes to the wheel unless Maggie's already there to put them on course again. "Smart fellas too with the setting sun our eyes."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:29 pm

"Smart folks tend to 'ave nice things." Gragol says with a big grin on his face. "Maybe we ought to relieve 'em of such nice things."
I should invest in some Craft skills.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Aya rushes to the wheel at the sign of the ship, but as the sun fades, the ship drops out of sight as well. There is no ship there to attack, nothing on the horizon, perhaps the sun was just playing tricks on you.
Maybe that post wasn't clear enough.

"As the last light of day disappears below the horizon, the distant ship also drops from sight in the gloom of twilight."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:05 pm

Oh, I saw that. Then again I figured the ship was just out of sight, not gone completely.
"Well..." Aya says confused, not able to find the ship that just appeared and vanished again. "I can't see it anymore, can anyone else? Would be a bit too fast if it had just sunk."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:10 am

Rod turns to Aya.
"A ship? What ship? I didn't see it. I was looking at..." he grins wickedly "Maggie's rear."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:15 pm

There's a comment about Rod being on the lookout for pirate booty working around in my head. But it's a little too anachronistic for my taste. Alas.
"Well, you do know how to make a woman feel wanted," Maggie says. "But there's time for that later. I saw it too. A ship disappearing into the twilight."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Sunset Day 71: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:00 pm

The lookouts report the same thing, they saw it, but it seemed to have set with the setting sun. It would seem that many sailors agree the ship had appeared to been sailing directly against the wind as well. No amount of searching reveals it and so you sail on through the night into the morning. You have now plotted a straight course for Tidewater Rock.

Another day at sea and another evening arrives. A thick bank of fog has rolled in with the evening, reducing visibility to only a few yards and navigation to guesswork. From the gloom comes the dull clanking of a rusted ship’s bell somewhere nearby, echoing eerily in the fog. Suddenly, the hulk of a ship looms in the fog off the port bow. Its hull is rotten and stained black with age and rot. Before the mists swallow the ship once more, the ship’s name can momentarily be seen on its worm-eaten bow—Deathknell.
Its time to level up after your encounter with the Dominator and your final stretch to Tidewater Rock. Everyone should level up to 5th Level

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Sunset Day 71: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:57 pm

"Well, lad, look at what ye see with yer own eyes!" The captain shouts as she sees the ship she only knew from tales by one of the most drunken man from her small home town. Ol' Patchy claimed to have been the only one of his ship that survived the encounter. "'Tis the Deathknell and her terrifyin' captain Whalebone Pilk. If we're unlucky we'll join his ghastly crew soon 'nough. Let us pray to the pirate queen that yer up fer a fight!"

The kitsune is certain that they will not fight tonight but tomorrow night though she's also uncertain what will happen if what she knows and tells is true and they will in a battle with a ghost ship.