Book 2 - Act 4: The Treasure of Mancatcher Cove

The shipping lanes of Golarion's seas and oceans are filled with fat merchant vessels laden with trade goods both mundane and exotic, as well as the pirates and freebooters who prey on them. Under the banner of their Hurricane King, these buccaneers sally forth from that archipelago of lawless pirate ports and anchorages known as the Shackles, plundering the shipping of countless countries and trade consortiums, then vanishing back into the maze of islands and reefs they call home. The nations of the Inner Sea would like nothing more than to end the pirate menace once and for all, but the eternal hurricane known as the Eye of Abendego has thus far shielded the Free Captains of the Shackles from the threat of retaliation.

In the Skull & Shackles Adventure Path, the PCs take on the role of pirates, but they must make a name for themselves in piracy, plunder, and disrepute to truly become infamous Free Captains of the Shackles.

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate King Vardaen
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Fresh Air At Last

Post by Othniel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:56 am

Upon breaching the surface of the water, Seroneth sucks in the sweet, sweet air. "Oh, my stars, I've never tasted anything so delicious as fresh air. It shall be a long time before I wish to go back down there again." She swings herself up into the boat and helps haul the chest over the side. "I am eager to find out what is inside this! Let us make haste."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Fresh Air At Last

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 pm

"We don't have any more potions, do we?" Flavinia isn't too convinced they shouldn't explore as much as they can while the magic is still doing it's work on them. "Might as well use the effect for as long as it lasts."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Fresh Air At Last

Post by Grimbold » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:50 pm

"Does anyone know how long this effect lasts? And how long we spent down there?" Rod asks, drawing a deep breath of fresh salty air. "I think we should open the chest here at the bank, and then decide what to do. We have some things left to finish, I think. There were some passages down there we did not explore and the place where I had this feeling. And we need to find out what happened to the other group."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Fresh Air At Last

Post by Othniel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:42 pm

"Didn't the other group go a different route though?" Seroneth asks. "Overland perhaps?"

Grimbold

Fresh Air At Last

Post by Grimbold » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 am

"We actually are taking their boat, as ours sank here in the bay. They must have come through here. I think we should check the second eye of the skull, maybe they went through the other cave and are trapped there." Rod pauses. "But obviously we should check the chest first." he grins. "Let's get it into the boat and have a look."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Cyrus Wolfe’s Hoard

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:07 pm

Fresh air at last! Oh its sweet, and salty, and smells of dead fish, but its so nice.

You haul the chest into the row boat and climb in yourselves. Your hands are wrinkled and prune like, your clothing clings to you tightly, and you are rather uncomfortable, however, you are the victors, so that makes everything else seem minor. You fling the chest open and find nothing!

NOTHING!?!

Before you curse Besmara Flavina reaches into the chest, and her hand vanishes! "Its an extra dimensional space! This is a Captian's Locker!" She explains a bit about it, and then you attempt to search the insides but find so much you'll need more space than the dingy has.

Once the joy of the loot starts to wear off, the Captain orders you back to the Eye Socket, he's missing friends and the crew from Besmara's Banshee - Gragol, Maggie, Toruk and Bloody Rackham. So you row back to the cove, and carefully inspect the second eye socket. You come on a gruesome site. The flies buzz all around in the narrow tunnel, and you see the mutilated and crushed bodies of all four people under a terrible boulder. It appears the four tripped a trap that caused a massive round boulder you roll down through the passage crushing each one in turn before it got stuck about 30 feet from the opening on a collection of vines and a partial cave in. There is your other scouting party, murdered by a massive rock, flat and bloody!
Spellcraft checks

You only have about 5-10 mins of air left
Captain’s Locker
Aura strong conjuration; CL 13th
Slot none; Price 30,000 gp; Weight 150 lbs.
DESCRIPTION
This iron-banded sea chest is 2-1/2 feet by 3 feet by 4 feet in size and is decorated with chains and brass skulls. The chest has no lock, but any standard lock can be easily attached to its hasp. The interior of a captain’s locker functions similarly to a type IV bag of holding, and can hold up to 2,500 pounds or a volume of 250 cubic feet. The chest’s weight remains the same, regardless of what it is holding. A captain’s locker does not rot or take any other damage from immersion in water and is watertight, even if opened underwater.

When a captain’s locker is placed within the hold of a ship or some other enclosed cargo-carrying vehicle (such as a freight wagon with a cargo box), the chest warps the dimensions of the cargo hold so that the area’s cargo capacity increases by 50% without changing the weight of the vehicle. The cargo area remains attached to the vehicle, however, so outside conditions that affect the vehicle can also affect the cargo hold. If the captain’s locker is removed from the cargo area while the hold contains more cargo than it could contain on its own, any excess cargo is forcibly expelled through hatches or other means of egress, dealing 3d6 points of damage to anyone standing within 5 feet of the means of egress.

CONSTRUCTION
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, mage’s magnificent mansion, secret chest; Cost 15,000 gp
_____
Within is what is left of Cyrus Wolfe’s hoard, as well as the tribe’s own treasures.

Besides the variety of luxurious silks, fine furs, exotic spices, raw gold and silver ore, and other plundered pirate booty worth a total of 10 points of plunder.

The treasures include a ship’s figurehead called Besmara’s Bones,
Two fan feather tokens
Slippers of spider climbing
An ornate crown with undersea motifs crafted of deep platinum worth 5,000 gp,
A jeweled box (worth 500 gp) containing assorted jewelry worth 2,500 gp, as well as 2,083 gp, 18,900 sp, and 25,050 cp.

Loot Sheet Update
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Cyrus Wolfe’s Hoard

Post by Othniel » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:07 am

Seroneth gazes at the treasure Flavinia fishes out to display, an avaricious gleam in her eye. When the crown comes out, she takes it for a moment and perches it upon her head. "Here's a pretty thing, though a little gaudy perhaps," she says, before handing it back. "I'm more interested in the silks. I've no seamstress's hand, but perhaps I could commission a lovely dress if we make port somewhere more...upscale. A girl's got to be prepared, you know."

The elf-woman's mood sours when they find their slain crew-mates. "A lousy end to people I never really got the chance to know. A pity, but at least we have revenged ourselves and them upon the sahuagin and made their loss worth it with the recovery of the treasure. We should drink to them tonight!"

Grimbold

Cyrus Wolfe’s Hoard

Post by Grimbold » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:08 am

Rod grins at the treasure and adds: "This will be the beginning of our great fame and fortune on our own ship. We might even rename our ship to Besmara's Bones. I wonder what the figurehead does."

Later, when they discover the other team, Rod breaks down and falls on his knees. "Oh no! Holy Besmara, no! Maggie! Not Maggie!" He starts sobbing uncontrollably for a few minutes.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Cyrus Wolfe’s Hoard

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:11 am

"Mmmm, nothing beats silk against the skin" Flavinia agrees. "Though I prefer magic outfits, also good for getaways. But we'll need something nice for the mermaid so that I can get mine back."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Fame and Glory

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:04 pm

The treasure is impressive, the chest holds so much stuff, and it will really give you a leg up.

When you find the others the Captain Breaks down. Maggie was the love of his life, seeing her laying there, squished under the rock is too much for the normally collected Roderick to handle. He is no good to anyone for a long while. You decide to honor the fallen, and are able to push the boulder back, with great effort, and recover their corpses. By the time you've transported them back to ship and handled everything hat's been going on its late at night. Some of you sleep, some of you drink, some of you count your pieces of 8. When morning arrives on The Thresher your new ship, you are refreshed.

A morning service is had for the fallen over on Besmara's Banshee, Captain Gragol has kind words to say about the lost crew, and his friends before their bodies are committed to the sea in ceremony. The crews mingle for a time, and some logistics are worked out between the ships to compensate for numbers and long boats and the like.

As noon is on the horizon the dwarf Captain Gragol of the Banshee along with is officers sit around a table in his ship, with you there. "Well, I think its time we part ways my friends. I have long been on the sea, and I know that two ships like ours, can not easily work together. We must both make our own way in the world. I have grown tired of the Shackles, and have heard of some interesting opportunities in the south. I want to give you all my blessing, and wish you all good luck on the seas." He stands up and goes around giving everyone a strong hug with pats on the back. "My Besmara ever let you suckle at her teets the bitch! Arg!"

His officers raise their mugs and shout Huzzah!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring