Book 3 - Act 1: Perilous Waters

The shipping lanes of Golarion's seas and oceans are filled with fat merchant vessels laden with trade goods both mundane and exotic, as well as the pirates and freebooters who prey on them. Under the banner of their Hurricane King, these buccaneers sally forth from that archipelago of lawless pirate ports and anchorages known as the Shackles, plundering the shipping of countless countries and trade consortiums, then vanishing back into the maze of islands and reefs they call home. The nations of the Inner Sea would like nothing more than to end the pirate menace once and for all, but the eternal hurricane known as the Eye of Abendego has thus far shielded the Free Captains of the Shackles from the threat of retaliation.

In the Skull & Shackles Adventure Path, the PCs take on the role of pirates, but they must make a name for themselves in piracy, plunder, and disrepute to truly become infamous Free Captains of the Shackles.

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate King Vardaen
GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Book 3 - Act 1: Perilous Waters

Post by GuyWithSword » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:03 pm

By this time, Meri has experienced a bit more of what it's like for the fish out of water and the ways in which humans are different than mermaids, especially in the clothing department. Over the past few days, Meri has been seen smiling when some deck swab grabs her chest without asking first. In fact, the mermaid appears to be starting to flirt back at the crass comments made at her, albeit a bit awkwardly at first. She actually looks like she felt bad for Durnik when Durnik got lashed. All in all, it looks like she has been enjoying the attention the crew gives her.

When Serenoth and Flavinia speak to her, she responds, "I appreciate that you two are trying to protect me, and I'll definitely keep the blouse in case what I propose to Mr. Rod doesn't work. Let's get everyone together for a meeting."

The bouncy, topless mermaiden gets all the officers together and starts off with thanking everyone. "I'd like to thank all of you so far for letting me come along. I know that you all don't know my sister and don't have to help look for her, but you choose to anyways. I want to give a proposal for the err...reactions I'm getting. Based on what the crew has said, and what people at Lilywhite told me, and the conversations with Flavinia and Serenoth, I'm willing to compromise and wear a clamshell or starfish bra while going into a town and such. However, I'd like to be able to stick to my tribe's tradition of not wearing clothing while on the ship. In order to keep the crew happy, I'm willing to...hmm...what did some books call it..."

She quickly flips through a book she has been reading the past few days. "Ahh yes. I'm willing to be the Thresher's 'morale officer' in order to keep the peace and keep people happy. Honestly, this is all a new experience for me. I don't get this much attention back home, and..." Meri blushes a bit. "...it's kind of fun."

She flips to another page in the book and reads for a few seconds before continuing. "Right, so it'd just become part of my duties in addition to ship repairs. They can grope me. I'd service the crew whenever they want. I'll think of it as my way of thanking everyone for helping me with my sister. I'll wear a top in town, except when we want to try to...negotiate for better prices and such. Is this acceptable?"

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Xie joins the crew meeting wondering what the buxom mermaid wants to propose to the rest of the crew, he patiently listens to her proposal and mulls it over as she speaks, her talk about tradition resonating within him as he is a firm believer of his own traditions from Tian-Xia, once the young mermaid has finished her pitch, Xie takes a step forward, "keeping one's traditions is an important part of one's self, i understand that among your people being topless is natural and not much of an issue, but as you have been finding out topside it is a much different story. You might find that all the attention you are now receiving will eventually become hindrance even for yourself, and actions such as the one that you are proposing often come with a heavy price, one that might not be immediately obvious nor easily perceived by others, personally if you want to stick with your traditions, that is fine by me, i do hope that you understand that the path that you are proposing to undertake is one that has a possibility to leave a major mark on you, i pray that the weight of your decision does not come back to crush you in the future. You are young and still learning the ways of the world if this is how you want to learn then i am no one to stop you. However you must understand that once this is done there is no taking it back, there is no way to put that Djinn back in the bottle." Xie steps back and leans against the mast, waiting for everyone else to voice their opinions.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:39 pm

Flavinia just shakes her head, it'll be a distraction and Meri will be treated like an object and that's not good, respect and discipline matters on a ship, much as Flavinia doesn't like the latter being the case, at least get a spell or magic item to make her appear properly clothed.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Rod has been glancing at Meri once or twice as well, no groping though. "Well. Meri, my task is to keep this ship running and the crew operational. And when their minds are not focused, the ship will not work. So we need to find some sort of solution for the problem, so I do not have to execute half the crew. I hear your idea, Meri, and I'm thinking about it. I do not like it though, but I fear you will start more trouble than you want, and it will take up more of your energy than you think. Of course you can choose one or more partners, even amongst the crew, but I will not allow just everyone treating you like an object. You will need to wear something also on the ship. We will help you find your sister, you will need to adapt a little to make the search work. I see little chance of success if no one can concentrate on their jobs." He glances at her bosom then back at her face. "Maybe we could have some permanent illusion or something, so it does not feel like clothing. But I don't know much about witchcraft and the like. If you insist on being the morale officer, we could find an arrangement in which you 'reward' the most hardworling man or woman of each day. They need to work for it."
Still need to go over magic items.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:32 pm

"One might think such an idea would appeal to a Calistrian such as myself, but I must concur with the Captain," Seroneth speaks, finally. "Besides which, you'd wear yourself out, dear Meri." The Elf flicks her gaze over to Rod. "Captain, if I may, I would like us to make a stop in Quent at one point in our journeys, if it please you, and take Meri to visit my home temple. The clergy there have the delicate touch that Meri should have if she wishes to explore this path, and while I laud her willingness, I believe she should be fully educated before jumping into the deep end feet - or tail - first. I believe a visit to Quent would also allow the crew to blow off their pent up energies."
Sleeves of Many Garments would probably accomplish what Rod is thinking of.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:01 pm

Rosie Cusswell, the ship's quartermaster and one of the officers, and longest standing member of this crew even longer than Captain Roderick (by 3 days) just blurts out, "Ah fish fucker, this is some real up the arse sort of conversation!" The female halfling is short and fierce with a body of muscles to match her cursing. For a time she was forced to turn away the attentions of the gnome Conchobar Shortstone, a serial womanizer on the ship, and one of the real trouble makers for Meri other than Durnic. "Cover those tits up Meri, that's all there is too it. Figure out a way. You start flashing them around here all come and get me like and all us dames are going to have these blokes grab us by the poop deck if you get my meaning. You wanna be a morale officer and pleasure the crew during down time in the dark of night all private like, good, keeps them away from those of us with some self respect, but you put some Besmara damned top on, traditions be damned, we ain't in Mermaid Lands this is the gods besotted Shackles!"

Rosie looks at the captain and the first mate as if that is that and the conversation is over now that she's had her say.
Ship's Quartermaster
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:43 pm

The mermaid thinks on Rosie's words. "How about this then? I get to follow tradition half the time? During the day, I put on a top. When I'm off duty after dark, I can be topless, and be the morale officer for all the crew that are also off-duty, and try to keep those activities below deck?"

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Leaning on the Mast, Xie looks up for a second, "Rosie has a point, i'll defer to the Cap., after all it is his decision in the end. If you don't mind I will retire to my cod, I've had enough of this." With that Xie turns around and leaves making his way to his cabin and closing the door behind him.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:59 am

„This is my decision: Everyone needs to cover up on deck and on duty, what you do in your downtime is up to you. On land, you represent our ship, so you also need to be decent.“ Rod says.
Lets just move on to more piratey stuff.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Rickety's Squibs

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:08 pm

Rosie slaps the captain on the shoulder, "Right Captain, good decision, that's why we let you be the Captain." Rosie tosses Meri a bikini like top, "Cover those tits up, and then get back to work there are barnacles on the bow that need scraping before we roll into Rickey's."

The captain has spoken, Meri will wear clothing while on the ship and in town, unless she's in private on her own time (just like the rest of the crew has to).

Rosie then heads off to grab a few swabs since you are sailing into port now.

-----
Twenty Minutes Later....

Rounding the tall headland reveals a hidden cove at the mouth of a wide jungle river, its sluggish brown waters staining the waters of the blue sea like an ugly bruise. A series of docks has been built upon this estuary, with buildings concealed beneath the overhanging limbs of the jungle beyond. A wooden watchtower stands upon the promontory of the headland, carefully concealed among the trees to provide a clandestine view of the seas.

As the Man's Promise sails past the headland, a checkered flag of yellow and red is raised above the tower on the promontory, and an answering flag of blue is hoisted upon a yardarm at the docks ahead.

The shouts from the crows nest draws everyone on dock and to the bow.

Flavina watches along the docks of the area. There is a flurry of action now as the flags go up. People along the docks are moving this way and that way, but the focus seems to be on a single man who collects some sailors and climbs into a longboat. That boat starts toward the Man's Promise, oars in the water, it rows toward you, the man at the bow just sitting watching until it comes within shouting distance of your bow. Hands cupped he cries out "Hail to the ship!"

As the longboat Peccarine comes up alongside the port bow the man in the lead shouts up, "Well you've found it! I'm Rickety Hake and this here is my place. Permission to come aboard and talk terms." He waits for a rope to come down and when it does (assuming so) its tied off and then a rope ladder and the man climbs up on to the deck of the ship offering his hand in greeting to the officers of the ship. Rickety Hake is a short, stoop-backed old man with a leathery, weatherworn face; watery blue eyes; and a halo of frizzy white hair.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring