Chatter - tactics

The home port for all things Skull and Shackles!
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Chatter - tactics

Post by Grimbold » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Ok, let's talk mutiny here. I think we should strike at them soon and take over the ship.
Some ideas, please add your own.

- we need to act in a coordinated way with all our allies.
- we need to take on Scourge and Plugg separately. Maybe we could use the smokesticks to simulate a fire and lure some of them in a closed room and bar it from the outside? Or attack them when they're sleeping?
- Could we use a spell to help us?

Question to V: How many people are on watch at night?

Any ideas?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Chatter - tactics

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:55 pm

There is only a few nightwatchmen.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Do we know where Scourge and Plugg sleep? Who are the officers on the ship?

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:46 pm

Here's what I can do with Aya on the spell side:
-Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Animate Rope, Feather Fall, Grease.
Other than that she's a shape shifter, and a fairly alright Diplomacy and Intimidate with (+11 and 9 respectively) if someone asks funny questions. (I didn't put stuff in Disguise because I thought that was only optical too. Not sure though). Since no one else picked it I also got the Invisibility potion though anyone can use it really. Hmm.... Invisible Ninja Rod coming down silently from the rigging on an enemy... ;)

Funnily I got two smokesticks as Grim suggested them to me.

I assume you'll be trying to do a night attack, right?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:15 pm

I just read the latest post and wondered about something: What about Crimson Cog? Yeah, I know this kinda defeats the whole thing of going around and spreading the word. He even said yes the night before, I think. Well, it was "not tonight" to be true...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:15 pm

Maggie can get any of the spells on the first level cleric list. That would include Obscuring Mist, though that might be as much of a hindrance to us as to Plugg & Co.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:11 am

I guess Bless is good as is Murderous Command. With Grease we could make some sort of killing zone or restrict movement. I think we should find out where they sleep and take out as many of the hostiles as we can before it comes to battle. Any other ideas?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:31 am

A few days on the ship you have a good idea of teh lay out. You also know they lock Sandara and Rosie in with their bootlicks, seperated from you and vulnerable.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:31 am

Ok, lets look at the map.

(1) Scourge and his homies sleep in B6, along with Rosie and Sandara. They could sneak out and block the door with a board or pole or something. Or we cast grease in front of it and attack them when they come out. Does Toruk have any area effects? Maybe we could add a smokestick (=fog cloud) inside the room to help Rosie and Sandara to get out.

(2) Plugg is in B7, locked doors to the main deck and down to the Cooks cabin. Any way we could steal the keys? Owlbear is inside. We might get a message to him that he attacks Plugg when a signal is given? Then we could break down the door and help Owlbear out. I'll wager Owbear is better at grappling than Plugg.
Looking at everything, I think we should (a) Take out hostile night watchmen quietly. Maybe we can find a night when not all nochtguards are hostile but one or two is our friend. (b) cast bless on us and our allies, then use something to block the captain's cabin so he cannot get out. Can we tie a rope around the handles or something? Same with the trapdoor, maybe take away the ladder or use rope to hold the trapdoor down. (c) get Sandara and Rosie out of B6, throw in a smokestick and cast grease then attack them as they stumble out one by one. Maybe use Murderous Command to have a hostile sailor attack scourge. (d) after dealing with Scourge, and the hostile we could open the captains door and deal with him. Maybe Owlbear can grapple him when he tries to get out. But I guess we need to help him out quick.

Any comments? Could it work? Any better ideas? Any Toruk spells that could help?

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:48 am

Hard to say though the general part seems rather clear, with eliminating nightguard (is there maybe a way to get assigned to that or are the lines that close-cut that it's impossible?) then go get allies and take out Plugg and Scourge. Do we intend to kill all the hostile ones too? Because manning a ship with only six people may not work too well. Not that I don't mind putting them all out of our misery.

Well, it depends if they decide to actually stumble out is what I think. Yeah, it's smoke but it's not like they cannot just wait it out or even shoot at anyone waiting outside.

By the way, I Aya's a sea singer bard so it allows me to sing sea shanties and anyone's saving throw against fatigue, exhaustion (some others) can be replaced with her check (+12 which at least for me is better than a +0 on the CON rolls). Which is helpful but probably loud as well...

What're we gonna do if we come to locked doors and decide not to just bash through it.

Also, keep in mind Aya is not very good in a fight. At all. And Stealth is just a +6 too...

Overall, however, I think Grim's is a solid plan. Not that things won't go wrong at some point. What did an old Prussian say "Therefore no plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force."