OOC Forum for OU: Black Rain
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Game Discussion

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:31 am

This is where we will discuss any major OOC questions that we might have as well as where I can side-post stuff to help you understand WTF is going on. All topics are game-related, not really rules stuff, merely conversation and input.
Last edited by Eanwulf on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: Game Discussion

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:47 am

First Up. Where the game begins. Indiana, Pennsylvania. Why? Mainly because it's where a good friend of mine's parents live and I've been there a time or two. Not to mention, George Romero's film took place in PA as well.

Second off. How the game shall begin. Well if you read the timeline, then you'd notice that the world has just recently averted a world crisis. Simply put, it blew up something they thought might be intelligent life form intent on causing us harm.

Do we the average Joe know this? HELL NO! The government's good at coverups. Think of the current time as it was in Armageddon, where they just blew up the big meteor heading towards earth. This time however, it's not as big and was blown up to avert a global calamity, i.e. possible world-killer meteorite.

It's been five days since the end of the world was averted and most people have been partying their asses off. Yourselves included. Now however, is the time to try and embrace life to its fullest!

MadVlat, jigglypuff69, Hayabusa?
You three guys are headed out to Blue Spruce Park to do a little hunting. Nothing much however, since it's mid-February. Racoons, foxes, coyotes, opossums, skunks, weasels are on the menu. You can even do a little beaver trapping if so desired. Weather is going to be in the low-mid 30's. Foggy and chance of light snow. Consider this where MadVlat and jigglypuff69 decide to take their lawyer friend to the great outdoors to man him up a bit.

Gabrian, Tarciryan, TetNak?
You three guys have been partying your asses off since the end of the world was averted. You're currently going to be nursing some major hangovers and a little bit of the hair of the dog that bit you in Wolfie's Pub & Club; Gabrian's workplace. Throw in some minor encounters and you pretty much have your setting.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:06 am

Initially, the game shall be a lot of open-ended sandbox style roleplaying and getting the feel for town in general. Our preludes won't be too terribly long and apt to handle whatever type of scenarios you'd like to dish out. If you know someone you'd like to later see get eaten by zombies, then by all means describe them in game or possibly even pass them by on the streets, etc.

The plot (simple, zombies, duh!) shall unfold itself was our preludes conclude. Essentially hinting at the breakout's beginning. From there we shall delve into the game rules themselves, dealing with an outbreak as it escalates. Time during gameplay can jump sporadically at first then peter off to normal pace as the group finds themselves hold-up and in need of supplies and ammunition.

Pretty much, the sky's the limit :)

Tarciryan
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Tarciryan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:45 am

Moonshine is pretty popular where I live when mixed with coffee (and doesn't give me hangovers, ever). So I guess I've been drinking that then? :-)

Also, if the average-joe (assuming we are just that) doesn't know, why are we celebrating life as we know it?
“Wizards die the same as other men, once you cut their heads off.”
-Desmond

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:25 am

Well-ell-ell alrighty then. Before I go hunting may I don my Elmer Fudd jammies???
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:28 am

Tarciryan wrote:If the average-joe (assuming we are just that) doesn't know, why are we celebrating life as we know it?
The average joe doesn't know that the anomaly shifted course or caused electronic devices to malfunction and shut down. The average joe doesn't know that the world's leaders felt that it could have possibly been some kind of alien probe or life-form. They just know what the media's told them.

Rather hard to cover up the launch of multiple ICBM's, the rest really that isn't. Just think government/media cover-up. Instead of leading the public to believe it was what they thought it was, they simply informed the planet that a sizable meteor was headed towards earth. Speculation stated the object might be large enough to cause a global impact upon the planet. It's touchdown point would have then been falsified and the media hype begun.

They've had two full years to shape the event and could have reluctantly informed the public of the anomaly's trajectory, stating they didn't want to alert the public until they managed to come up with a contingency plan. The media would have then gone on to 'distract' the planet about how long it's been since ICBM technology was considered to be the world's best defense and how well the nations' leaders felt the plan would work, etc. Typical distraction tactics.

Average Joe public would have panicked but also though they were safe given the media's response. For the most part though, the general populace was mislead about the anomaly's true origin and unknown qualities.

Simply put, you'd be celebrating life because the world saw simulated and doctored footage of ICBM's blowing the shit out of something, reducing it to space dust. The media would have then replayed the successful footage over and over again for the next five days. Just substitute possible world-killer meteorite for unknown anomaly that suddenly changed its course and shuts down all electronic devices getting close to it.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 am

Wulf- Here's the stuff you were looking for:

Name: Robert C. Tinklepaugh (Everyone calls me Tink)
DOB: 5/31/74
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Salt and Pepper

My Weight/Height should be 300 lb, 6'1".

Question: How real should all of this be? Should you know I collect military firearms and have enough to start my own militia? Does that matter for the game and would I have some of that in game?
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:21 pm

jigglypuff69 wrote:Wulf- Here's the stuff you were looking for:
Muchas Gracias mi amigo! Any type of handicap or limitation you might have. Or do you just want me to do something random?
jigglypuff69 wrote:My Weight/Height should be 300 lb, 6'1".
I know :)
I was being nice and keeping secret track of real vitals on the side. As far as game stuff goes, I lumped you all into approximate heights and weights for deciding upon skills/movement, etc. Their movement system is meh IMHO so I rounded up to nearest foot to ease calculations, hence most everybody being 6 ft tall and just over 200 lbs.
jigglypuff69 wrote:Question: How real should all of this be? Should you know I collect military firearms and have enough to start my own militia? Does that matter for the game and would I have some of that in game?
I was going to post a new topic in the Character Discussion Thread about stuff akin to this. Be on the lookout!

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:45 pm

I made some new threads and once made Moderator of the OOC Forums, I'll bump them up to Sticky's and what-not. Until then, feel free to look them over in the OOC thread and respond accordingly.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Alright then, things are just about ready to get things going. As mentioned previously, if you want to have fun with your cellphones and/or webcams, you can snap a picture of yourself (a decent face shot that you like or find to be humorous and entertaining) in some kind of horrifically scared pose, stern and mean looking pose, droll and neutral, whatever. I can then use it to create a cartoon-looking combat icon.

If you don't want to use the real you, then by all means find somebody on the web that looks like you, etc.