Intro - House Vadalis Consult

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Intro - House Vadalis Consult

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:36 am

"A pleasure to meet you, Shakti," Val says with a return nod to the eidolon. "Your brother is looking to sign up with my outfit, the Grey Company. I assume that goes for you as well?" He smiles at the two. "Given that you're a sentient being, I want to make certain that you are both in agreement on the matter." He holds up a hand. "Not that I think Helion would do anything this important without consulting you. But a man in my position has to be careful."

Once Shakti has assured Val that the decision is mutual, the colonel nods his head. "I definitely think there's a place in the company for a pair with your talents. You see, the Grey Company provides a number of services to our clients. This includes security (both physical and magical), inquisitive services, spellcasting, crafting, and information, to name a few. But given the nature of this business, We get some clients whose needs don't easily fit into the normal categories. These people need generalists to solve their problems. As a result, we have a team of 'problem solvers' - to deal with these sorts of jobs. I think you might be perfect for that team."

The terms of employment will be simple. You will fall under the command structure of the Grey Company, and will follow all reasonable orders given to you by your superiors. In practice, however, I expect you'll be working fairly independently. As for payment, there will be a minimal stipend for staying on call, but the bulk of the pay will come based on missions. The Company will give you jobs from time to time, each with a set payment to be delivered upon completion. In addition, you'll have free scavenging rights for whatever you manage to find along the way that's unrelated to your mission goals."

"As a member of the company, you'll also have access to the Grey Company resources. That includes barracks housing, if you're interested, though you may certainly live in the city at large if that's what you prefer. You'll have access to the libraries we're amassing. They're small now, but I expect them to grow. There will be space-available use of our crafting facilities and crafters, at cost. We also have an extremely competent Jorasco healer on staff. His availability is limited by his own missions. But he can cast powerful healing magics that can be used on the behalf of members of the Company. Depending on the circumstances, costly spell ingredients may be covered by the Grey Company, or may not. But the spell will be cast for free. There is also the possibility for occasional trips back to Sharn via teleport. This will be fairly random, and also space-available. But to the extent that I have the capacity to take any extra passengers when I visit Sharn, I'll be offering those spots to Company members. And, of course, you'll have access to the Drunken Shifter - our private tavern on the fourth floor of the tower."

"When you're not on call, you'll be free to do what you like, though I'll ask that you don't do anything at all in the name of the Company or anything that would reflect poorly on the Company while you're representing yourselves as members of the Grey Company. I'd also ask that you stay in Stormreach, unless you notify the Company ahead of time that you'd like to take extended leave from the Company."

"In practice, you'd be on call for any jobs that our regular employees wouldn't be competent to handle. You'd be given a very free hand in dealing with these jobs, and we'd want to rely on your initiative rather than instructions from the home office. The work should be interesting, and the pay will be competitive - we can discuss the details later, if you're interested. But that's the real question: are you interested?"

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:22 am

Both the halfling and the eidolon look at each other and quickly nod at the same time, like there is a hidden comunication between them. Then Helion speaks, "Sounds interesting, yes. But we can quit if later we decide the job is not for us, right?"
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:33 am

"It's a free city," the colonel replies, "and I'm no slaver. You can quit at any time. It would be courteous, of course, for you to give the Company some notice before you leave. And I'd prefer that you didn't quit in the middle of a mission. But at the end of the day there's nothing keeping any of us here but our desire to be here."

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Scout89 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:44 am

"That was just a precaution on my part. I mean no offense. I always fulfill my part of agreements. No matter what. Well I guess only thing left is... where do I sign?"
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:33 pm

"Well, there will be a little paperwork to fill out," the colonel replies. "If you gave your basic information to Lt. Forester, we can have that set up by the end of the day. But if you're willing to start on a handshake, I've got an incident going on near the Harbor that could use some help. I had to pull one agent off of the job and I'm eager to replace that member of the team. It would also be a good opportunity for you to demonstrate your skills for the Company. What do you say to that?"

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Scout89 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Helion extends his hand to the Colonel, "I say I'm on my way." The raptor hisses again, "Don't forget to get the address, brother." And Helion replies, "Oh, right! Where should we go to?"
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:23 pm

"When last I had a report," Col. d'Orien replies, "they had gone to see the harbormaster and a local representative of the Stormreach watch. My guess is that now they're running down leads in some of the taverns in the Harbor District. They're a group that's hard to miss, even in Stormreach. One is a mithral warforged named Fletcher, who carries a bow and a greatsword. Another is a feline shifter named Werz. He's average height with brown fur. The final one is a priest of the Sovereign Host named Oloven. He's tell with white hair and green eyes and wears a set of plate armor. When you see a trio like that, you'll have found your team."

The colonel pauses and takes a sheet of paper from a nearby desk, then scrawls a quick note on it. He then folds the note in thirds and seals it with a bit of wax and the seal from his signet ring. "Give this to Fletcher, the warforged. It explains who you are and that I want you to assist the team in their mission. It's an artifact retrieval mission, with the possibility of hostile interference. They can give you the details."

He then stands and offers his hand once more. "Good luck, and report back here with the others when you're done. We should have all the papers drawn up by then."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Shard mentioned the Puffy Pelican, so Val offers up that name of a Tavern to start looking for the team at as well. That will get you there.
Imric already has a bunch of paperwork handy, he's good at his job. "Colonel I'm ready with these now, I've set that autoquill of yours to working on drafting a dozen more sets up to save me time and effort." He looks at Helion, " If you want to sign these now, I can finish up the rest later." He produces a ink and quill and four pages to sign and initial.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Scout89 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:01 pm

Helion stands and shakes the Colonel's hand. When Imric showed him the paperwork, he got a little embarassed, but reached for the quill. His hand shakes a bit before making his mark. He's an outdoors guy, he's not used to fancy stuff. Besides, Helion never really cared for his mother's lessons on how to properly use one of those. All he wanted to do when he was a kid was to run through the plain with other halfling kids.
After signing the papers, Helion bobs his head, thanks them and leaves the room. And while leaving Shakti hisses, "Where's Barisht?" Helion answers in a low voice, "He's outside. You know he still has a lot to work on his manners..."
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The End

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Helion finishes what he needs to finish up, and him and Shakti thank Imric and the Colonel Val'trith d'Orien. There is no point in delaying so the halfling mounts up and rides off to find the Grey Company at this Puffy Pelican.
I still haven't really looked over the sheet. Life is getting in the way. I'll try and do it today or tomorrow for sure. But I want to get you in. Check the other thread for your arrival!
This Thread Exits to Here: https://brennor.dyndns.org/rpg/Forums/v ... tml#275911
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring