Book 1: Chapter 3 - In the Crow's Nest

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 1: Chapter 3 - In the Crow's Nest

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Image The mysterious continent of Xen'drik is a massive landmass that exists south of the continent of Khorvaire, beyond Shargon's Teeth and Thunder Sea. It has recently begun to be explored by agents of the Four Nations in hopes of making profit from the relics found there amongst other natural resources.

Hidden within the wild and untamed land are the desolate ruins of the ancient Giant Civilization. After battling the Quori the Giant Civilization was destroyed by the Dragon population of Argonnessen when they attempted to use their highly advanced devices to put down a elven slave revolt.

Aerenal Elves trace their origins to Xen'drik in the long forgotten past.

Xen'drik is now a continent mostly inhabited by drow, and degenerate Giants. It is a wild and untamed place with fabulous eldritch machines along with unimaginable treasures. It is still largely unexplored.
An Hour After Midnight, Far the 13th of Aryth, Rowing Through the Harbor

After a busy day, and a busy night of capturing criminals and investigating missing persons the group finds themselves after midnight in a rowboat heading toward the Giantspan piling known as the Crow. The Shard of Pride has directed them toward it along with the interrogation of Natalya. Within the massive stone structure chambers were found, and its time to explore them, but the warning that the criminal gang known as the Bilge Rats has gotten there first has not gone unheeded.

So with stealth the group silent rows out toward their goal.
Welcome to Chapter 2.

This chapter was added a bit late, as an after thought. Hopefully it is cohesive enough with the end of Chapter 1.

The group of Fletcher, Werz, Oloven and Helion make their way to find the second Shard.

The group secures a boat, instead of stealing it the group just rents one from the dozens of fishermen that line the shore. It costs a few gold, but better than tainting the name of the Grey Company over a row boat. It is strong and sturdy and will support the group as a whole. So you pile in and start out into the harbor.

The row out isn't difficult, not too much, but it does take some effort. Nearly thirty minutes later, with Fletcher at the oars, the group is nearing the Crow. Sitting low in the boat, silently waiting for Fletcher to reach the Crow the group looks up at the massive structure. The Crow is a massive stone monument that rises from the waters of Stormreach's harbor. It was once a support for the Griantspan, but with that monument's collapse, the Crow is nothing more than an immense freestanding piling. As with every one of the Giantspan's columns, the Crow is intricately carved and embossed with ancient statuary and bas-reliefs featuring the motif of a specific animal or monster-in this case, hundreds of crow like gargoyles and carvings and decorations. Like all of the surviving pilings, the Crow is 200 feet wide along its midsection (widening to over 250 feet at the upper section where the piling once supported the Giantspan above). The Crow extends 220 feet above sea level, and extends another so feet underwater to the harbor floor.

So far you haven't set off any alerts, Natalya warned her "friends" among the Bilge Rats might be present keeping watch for they have laid claim to this recently.

A tall lancet arch at water level leads into a chamber at sea level within the side of the Crow. Inside is what was once a small, stepped terrace, now filled with sea water to the level of its top step. Three rowboats are tied off to heavy stones placed on this step. Above, the ceiling rises almost all the way up to the top of the monument -- an opening leads off this shaft to the west near the ceiling. At the west end of this room lies a small alcove where floor shows the stain of countless campfire -- the back wall of this alcove has broken through, revealing a passageway beyond.
The Crow itself is located just under half a mile from the Dockway. The ruined piling itself is most easily reached by boat. Rowing out to the piling is a relatively simple task even for someone who has no training in Profession (sailor), although without training it takes 30 minutes to make the journey from the shore to the Crow because of the trickiness of the tidal currents (with a successful DC 12 Profession [sailor] check, this time is halved).

Boat Dock
The inhabitants of Stormreach have long known of this chamber, but the alcove was sealed by a solid stone wall, causing those daring enough to explore the piling to choose to perilously scale this chamber's walls to reach the openings above. According to interrogations of Natalya, the alcove once held a secret door that had fallen into disrepair - Natalya discovered this secret door and the Bilge Rats relocated to this new hideout after she and a few others used pick axes to smash through into area beyond.
Approaching at day gives you away automatically, but at night there is a chance.

Stealth DC 12: Having you make 2, one for the boat rowing, one for being silent in the boat.

14 Success
15 Success

Boat Rental: 5 GP taken off loot sheet.
Sorry about the size. The map just isn't playing nice. Assume you are in a Row Boat on the map as well. I didn't have an image for that.

Last edited by Vardaen on Fri May 30, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Re: Approaching the Crow

Post by Scout89 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Helion whispers, "Wow! And I thought we were climbing this thing on the outside. I need a moment to call Shakti, guys."
A.K.A. Tvrod.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:43 am

"This is quite the impressive structure." Oloven's face shows a great deal of amazement as he says it. "I look forward to seeing the inside."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Fri May 30, 2014 4:08 pm

As the boat enters the alcove, Fletcher looks for a vacant stone to use as a mooring point. "There, that will do. Helion, tie us off would you..." When their small craft is anchored, Fletcher exits as quietly as possible while musing out loud, "I'm not opposed to climbing, but an open door will do just fine."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Entry Chambers

Post by Vardaen » Fri May 30, 2014 5:54 pm

The rowboat eases into the alcove and clanks against the stone jetty. Helion ties it off and you slip out of the boat one by one onto dry land. Looking about you can see a tall shaft that rises up up up over your head, a climbers dream, but perhaps your nightmare. Fletcher whispers about an open door and luckily there is a broken open secret door that leads into the heart of the Crow.

Oloven, last to escape the row boat in his heavy armor notices bat guano about the chamber, evidence that the flying creatures have used this chamber. Fletcher pauses long enough for everyone to get ready, then he moves west into the chamber.

Rubble from the collapse wall has been pushed out into the chamber. Traces of recent habitation - bits of trash and rubbish and the odd piece of clothing or equipment - are scattered here and there, though the room now appears to be unused.

Werz takes a quick survay of the chamber and by the look of it estimates perhaps there was once as many as fifteen inhabitants that called this room home at one time.

To the south of the entry hall is a small chamber, the door open to it reveals the whole of the room from where you stand. A foul odor and suspicious stains on the floor of the room reveal that the chamber was used as a privy within the last few weeks. Huddled in one corner are the rotten remains of a small dog.

To the north a set of stone stairs winds up into the darkness.
There are NO light sources in the piling. You need to make your own, its damn dark in here at night.

B1: Boat Dock
B2: Entry Hall
B3: Privy

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Re: Entry Chambers

Post by Eilandor » Fri May 30, 2014 6:31 pm

Fletcher scolds himself for not stowing any torches in his pack. "I fear I am not as prepared as I should be, I have no light source." Looking to the others, "Does anyone have a torch or ability to make elemental light?"
Last edited by Eilandor on Fri May 30, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Entry Chambers

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:32 pm

Oloven quietly removes his shield from his back, strapping it to his left arm. His right hand begins to glow for a moment then it goes away. A few seconds later his shield erupts with light. Oloven then walks around the room, grazing the wall with his right hand, looking for any historical markings.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri May 30, 2014 6:56 pm

Werz dislodges from the boat silently and leads the way towards the door. Having learned never to trust anyone or anything he examines the open door wondering if it trapped in any way shape or form.
Big Pimpin...

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:10 pm

"Hold on a moment while I bring Shakti here." Helion concentrates and mumbles a few sentences. Soon the big raptor materializes right by his side.
A.K.A. Tvrod.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri May 30, 2014 7:21 pm

"I can see in the dark just fine." Werz remarks waiting for one of the magic men to produce flames so that he can lead the group further in.
Big Pimpin...