Book 1: Chapter 2 - New Recruits

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Chapter 2 - New Recruits

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Zeevan knows when he's outmatched. The elf clearly has superior equipment, and a number of years of training and experience on him. He assumes he'll get a couple good strikes before he's thrown flat on his rump. He draws his blades and moves into a defensive stance. Suddenly, his arms are wreathed in arcs of lightning, moving up and down their length. "Shall we begin, Nirus?"
Swift Action - activate Racial ability, 1d6 electrical energy. If I strike with unarmed/melee, I do an extra 1d6 electric damage. Pretty cool. Standard action - Full Defense.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:00 am

Nirus nods and then motions for Zeevan to attack him. The elf remains standing with his blade position in his outstretched arm behind his rear foot giving what appears to be an opening to his front.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:33 am

The ninja doesn't have many tricks yet. He hopes to develop a few more in the future, but he isn't there yet. So what tricks he does have, he'll just have to use as often as he can. The classic trick is to disappear, then reappear behind someone, so he decides to mix it up a little. He feints for the open leg, disappears, then half a second later reappears in the same place, slashing for the high line with both his blades.
Fluff, then a Swift Action to activate Invisiblity, then two-weapon fighting. I assume I'll need to more or less Crit to hit a Level 14 Ranger, so might as well get as many attacks in as possible.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:15 pm

I think V just wanted us to RP it, so no rolls?
Nirus patiently waits for the man to reappear. The elf doesn't move as Zeevan disappears knowing that moving from his stance has just as many bad options as good options. When he reappears with his blades slashing towards him, the elf swivels on his toe and heel to reposition himself as his serrated scimitar circles in a quick but wide arc catching Zeevan's blades on the top giving them an extra push towards the floor.

Having pushed the tips of the twin blades into the floorboards, the elf steps on the top of the swords giving him a boost to jump up and over with a quick forward flip landing behind Zeevan. He gives a push off from Zeevan's back as he takes a step away from the man and then turns to face off once again.

With his single sword, he takes another stance with his blade in front of him this time and waits for the man to strike yet again.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:43 am

The Sulis rolls forward, taking the force of the kick and moving with it rather than falling. He keeps a hold on his swords, and gets back to hit feet. He turns back and takes his stance, a wild smile on his face. "I like it! This is definitely the right place for me, if skill like yours rises in the ranks." He redoubles his efforts, knowing it'll likely be fruitless. He disappears again, this time coming from the side for a strike to the hamstring with his main sword, the second being held on the defense.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:31 am

Seeing the second sword remain defensive, the elf merely tries to block this first attack. If he'd been using two swords, then he'd consider one to block while using the second to attack against the Sulis' defending blade, but for now a simple block works for him.

Having seen some of the new recruits attacks, now the ranger tries to go a bit on the offensive. He steps back and then slashes with his blade quickly across Zeevan's torso.

While the strike could be deadly, the elf aims to have it close enough to sear the threads of Zeevan's clothing, but not close enough to damage the recruit.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:37 am

Zeevan's swords cross and manage to mostly deflect the ranger's blow. His clothing smokes slightly, but does not sear. However, if the elf had had lethal intent, he would have struck a solid blow. The ninja's technique is sound, but needs more drilling and discipline. Against a superior opponent, his magical techniques will not cover for his relative inexperience, and lack of honed muscle memory.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:13 pm

Nirus pauses for a moment and gives a nod to Val'trith. Taking a step back, the elf gives the Sulis a nod of his head as he places his scimitar back into it's scabbard on his side.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:21 am

The Sulis nods in return, then sheathes his blades. "I hope I didn't disappoint too badly." He concentrates for a moment and the lightning flickering along his arms disappears. "That was one of the more enjoyable fights I've had in a long time."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Excellent. i'm hoping early next week the core group of this game will have returned and we can get Zeevan joined up with them.
The little duel is over, Nirus holding back considerably, because this was a test, not a foe. You can almost remember yourselves at this point in your career, eager, learning much, and confident. He should make a fine addition to the special ops teams lead by Fletcher and Oloven.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring